Author Topic: Trump administration rolls back Obama-era lightbulb rules  (Read 1622 times)

Offline corbe

Trump administration rolls back Obama-era lightbulb rules
« on: September 04, 2019, 05:34:32 pm »
Trump administration rolls back Obama-era lightbulb rules

By Rebecca Beitsch - 09/04/19 10:39 AM EDT

The Department of Energy (DOE) finalized a controversial rule Tuesday that would erase Obama-era efficiency standards for lightbulbs.

The regulation eliminates efficiency standards for about half the bulbs on the market. It leaves in place rules for standard pear-shaped bulbs, while removing such requirements for recessed lighting, chandeliers and other shapes of bulbs.

When first proposed, the rule was supported by lightbulb manufacturers, but consumer groups estimate continuing to use less-efficient bulbs will cost the average household more than $100 a year and create more pollution as utilities produce energy that otherwise would not be needed.

“The Energy Department flat out got it wrong today. Instead of moving us forward, this rule will keep more energy-wasting bulbs on store shelves,” Jason Hartke, president of the Alliance to Save Energy, said in a statement. “If you wanted folks to pay a lot more than they should on electric bills, this rollback would be a pretty good way of doing it.”

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/459884-trump-administration-rolls-back-obama-era-lightbulb-rules
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Trump administration rolls back Obama-era lightbulb rules
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 05:40:21 pm »
If you like your light bulb you should be able to keep your light bulb and not be forced to buy toxic replacements that are not environmentally friendly.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »
Unfortunately, this change is fairly minor - the enviro-howls notwithstanding - as standard incandescent bulbs such as those used in table lamps and many ceiling-mounted light fixtures are still banned. I have nothing against LED light bulbs or CFLs, as long as they are economically viable without subsidies or forced-buy regs/laws. I do think LEDs and CFLs should be required to have power factors similar to the power factor of incandescent bulbs, though (and there is a big devil in that detail!).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 07:06:27 pm »
I despise fluorescent lighting and will not have it in my home. I long for good old incandescent light bulbs with the cozy warm light they give. Will they come back?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:21:36 pm »
I despise fluorescent lighting and will not have it in my home. I long for good old incandescent light bulbs with the cozy warm light they give. Will they come back?

I hope so soon....  I know that I still have several cases of them stored away somewhere....  but I haven't seen them lately....

:shrug:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 07:39:48 pm »
I hope so soon....  I know that I still have several cases of them stored away somewhere....  but I haven't seen them lately....

:shrug:

Back in the old days ComEd used to give free light bulbs away when you paid your bill. So many per month, per household.  When I was home to see my Dad in July I was rummaging around in the basement for a can of paint when I opened a cupboard and found the motherload of light bulbs.  Hundreds of 100 watt. 200 watt service bulbs.  3 ways 50/100/150.  I damn near soiled my khakis.    Like the old R-12 refrigerant..I'm hoarding these bad boys!

Offline EdJames

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:43:07 pm »
Back in the old days ComEd used to give free light bulbs away when you paid your bill. So many per month, per household.  When I was home to see my Dad in July I was rummaging around in the basement for a can of paint when I opened a cupboard and found the motherload of light bulbs.  Hundreds of 100 watt. 200 watt service bulbs.  3 ways 50/100/150.  I damn near soiled my khakis.    Like the old R-12 refrigerant..I'm hoarding these bad boys!

888high58888

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 08:15:31 pm »

Be sure to avoid CFLs, too. They are also fluorescent type lights.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:36 pm »
I've come to like the LED bulbs, now that they're getting cost-effective. $1 a bulb in some cases! Plus the light's not as bad as the CFL bulbs.

Especially since I hate using more electricity than I need to use on something. If I can light a room with a 6-watt LED the same as a 60-watt incandescent bulb does, I'm going to use that 6-watt LED.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline austingirl

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 09:38:08 pm »
Be sure to avoid CFLs, too. They are also fluorescent type lights.

@PeteS in CA

You betcha!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:14 pm »

LEDs have greatly improved, both in quality and price.  I just bought 150 or so for the Castle, and it was around a hundred box on sale from Costco.  They're dimmable too.

As for the original topic, it's way too late to save what remained of incandescent light bulb manufacturers.  I think Sylvania was the last one?  Thanks, "Republican" Representative Upton.   9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline austingirl

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:32 pm »
@corbe @EdJames

I have light bulb envy. You can't beat the warm glow of an incandescent light bulb.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 09:41:04 pm »
I've come to like the LED bulbs, now that they're getting cost-effective. $1 a bulb in some cases! Plus the light's not as bad as the CFL bulbs.

Especially since I hate using more electricity than I need to use on something. If I can light a room with a 6-watt LED the same as a 60-watt incandescent bulb does, I'm going to use that 6-watt LED.

I think the new LEDs are great!  I'm sitting in a room where I installed 24 flood lamps.  Rated for 20K or 30K hours.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 09:43:52 pm »
@corbe @EdJames

I have light bulb envy. You can't beat the warm glow of an incandescent light bulb.

Go to Home Despot or Lowe's some time and look at the bulb displays that they have set up.  You would be surprised at the LED display where they have Cool White, Daylight and Warm side by side.  I got some really nice Vintage bulbs that look exactly like Edison bulbs.  They can make a string of LEDs so small they look like filaments, and the color is very warm.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 09:53:56 pm »
Go to Home Despot or Lowe's some time and look at the bulb displays that they have set up.  You would be surprised at the LED display where they have Cool White, Daylight and Warm side by side.  I got some really nice Vintage bulbs that look exactly like Edison bulbs.  They can make a string of LEDs so small they look like filaments, and the color is very warm.

It ain't the same.

I want my MTV
I want my 5 gallon per flush terlot
I want my filament light bulbs
I want my R-12
 333cleo 333cleo

Offline austingirl

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 09:54:20 pm »

I'll have to check that out. My last incandescents are burning out and I can tell the difference where my husband replaced them with halogen lights which are much whiter.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 09:56:57 pm »
It ain't the same.

I want my MTV
I want my R-12
 333cleo 333cleo

MTV and R-12 are long gone, but they still have the filament bulbs and you can get the toilet if you want to drive to Mexico to get one.   :shrug:  (Hint:  You only need the tank half of the toilet.  I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another....)
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 10:01:51 pm »
I'll have to check that out. My last incandescents are burning out and I can tell the difference where my husband replaced them with halogen lights which are much whiter.

I bought a couple hundred incandescent bulbs of varying wattages the day Upton's bill passed (Yes, I have a few packs of 100 watt bulbs!).  I still went with the LEDs because I wanted decorative bulbs, and I didn't have nearly enough floods for the job.  the Castle is rather large and has recessed lighting everywhere.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 10:06:42 pm »
@corbe @EdJames

There was an online company selling them a few years ago, but I can't remember them now...

You can still find them here and there on Amazon..... a couple of examples:

https://www.amazon.com/48688-Reveal-White-Watts-4-Pack/dp/B005CB27O4/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MHV2AC/

Offline EdJames

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 10:08:25 pm »
I bought a couple hundred incandescent bulbs of varying wattages the day Upton's bill passed (Yes, I have a few packs of 100 watt bulbs!).  I still went with the LEDs because I wanted decorative bulbs, and I didn't have nearly enough floods for the job.  the Castle is rather large and has recessed lighting everywhere.

I still have some 200 and 300 watt incandescents packed away....  great overhead lighting in a garage or work shop....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 10:28:00 pm »
It ain't the same.

I want my MTV
I want my R-12
 333cleo 333cleo

I still have 1 5 gal flusher
and 1 can of R-12 left.

When R-12 got 2 dang xpensive I was mixing my own HC12a from camp fuel isobutane and propane torch cylinders. Stuff worked better than R-12, but R-12 was so convenient at 58 cents a can or so.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 10:30:51 pm »
There was an online company selling them a few years ago, but I can't remember them now...

You can still find them here and there on Amazon..... a couple of examples:

https://www.amazon.com/48688-Reveal-White-Watts-4-Pack/dp/B005CB27O4/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MHV2AC/

Whoa, $4 a bulb....

I found it's the decorative incandescent bulbs that are really scarce.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 10:38:07 pm »
I still have 1 5 gal flusher
and 1 can of R-12 left.

When R-12 got 2 dang xpensive I was mixing my own HC12a from camp fuel isobutane and propane torch cylinders. Stuff worked better than R-12, but R-12 was so convenient at 58 cents a can or so.

888high58888

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 10:42:53 pm »
888high58888

I ran the ac in an 86 VW Rabbit on straight propane for several years without one single problem.

I still have a 3 gallon flush toilet and plan to keep it forever.   Much more efficient than the government mandated 1.5 jobs that you have to flush three times to get rid of everything.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:46:43 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 10:46:19 pm »
austingirl wrote:
"I long for good old incandescent light bulbs with the cozy warm light they give. Will they come back?"

I have large containerfuls of them down in my basement.
Bought up before they became "unavailable".
But lately, I've been using more LED lights around -- FAR better than those awful "CFL's", or whatever they called them.

Maybe I ought to put my hundreds of incandescents up for sale...!

What I really want is a good source for UNRESTRICTED flow shower heads!