Poll

If a USSC vacancy happened right now, Would the GOP get it done before the election?

Yes
4 (36.4%)
NO
4 (36.4%)
Depends on who is nominated
1 (9.1%)
Who cares, it's all over anyway
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 13, 2019, 09:42:26 pm

Author Topic: If a USSC vacancy happened right now, Would the GOP get it done before the election?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline corbe

McConnell: GOP would 'absolutely' fill Supreme Court seat next year

By Jordain Carney - 09/03/19 11:01 AM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) pledged Tuesday that Republicans would fill a Supreme Court vacancy in 2019 or 2020, arguing the dynamic is different now than when the party held open a seat in 2016.

Asked during an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt if Republicans would support filing a vacancy on the Supreme Court in 2019 or 2020, McConnell said "absolutely."

McConnell has earned fierce pushback for blocking Merrick Garland, former President Obama's final Supreme Court nominee, from getting a hearing or a vote. But he's said that Republicans would fill a vacancy ahead of the 2020 presidential election. He has argued that there was a divided government in 2016, but there would not be in 2019 or 2020 because Republicans control both the Senate and White House.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/459715-mcconnell-gop-would-absolutely-fill-supreme-court-seat-next-year
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I went with the escape clause.  I don't see a vacancy in time, and after the first of the year it won't happen because there are more than enough Milquetoast Pubbies to cave it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

I went with the escape clause.  I don't see a vacancy in time, and after the first of the year it won't happen because there are more than enough Milquetoast Pubbies to cave it.

IF Ginsburg passes before year end, I'd say the GOP will quickly seat someone else -- once we start to get into 2020, I think it will be highly unlikely.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.