Author Topic: Boris Johnson loses majority in UK Parliament after MP defects  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline OfTheCross

If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Boris Johnson loses majority in UK Parliament after MP defects
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 08:27:06 pm »
What do you know? Yet another legilature, unable to pass measure(s) in accord with the previously expressed will of voters.

Why? Because the elites want something different, and have the meansw to hold out.

Like Immigration reform. Healthcare reform. in the US.

Pelosi. Ryan. Pelosi.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 08:55:41 pm »
What do you know? Yet another legilature, unable to pass measure(s) in accord with the previously expressed will of voters.

Why? Because the elites want something different, and have the meansw to hold out.

Pelosi. Ryan. Pelosi.

This makes Bori Johnson's actions worth watching, and taking notes on. :bullie smokin:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 09:08:16 pm »
Johnson's call for general election rejected by MPs
The motion for an early election on 15 October is rejected.
Boris Johnson has faced a double defeat in the Commons after MPs turned down his motion for a general election.

Earlier, MPs backed a bill aimed at blocking a no-deal Brexit if the PM hadn't agreed a plan with the EU ahead of the 31 October deadline.

Mr Johnson said the bill "scuppered" negotiations and the only way forward now was an election.

But Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn accused the PM of "playing a disingenuous game" to force a no-deal Brexit.

He said his party would back an election after the bill had been passed, but not before.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49584907

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 09:15:23 pm »
Economic fallout is a distraction.  The migrant flood is a terminal disease caused to some degree by the EU.  It is to the point where they either deal with the pain of treatment or put themselves on a morphine drip.  Boris is giving the patient a choice.
@cato potatoe

If one has a business there, such as my son does, it is all businesses who do not want to exist the EU - that is their number one reason to stay in the EU. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 09:19:37 pm »
@cato potatoe

If one has a business there, such as my son does, it is all businesses who do not want to exist the EU - that is their number one reason to stay in the EU.

While I support Brexit on general terms (I was not for the EU), I can certainly understand why your son, and other businesses feel differently.  Very good reasons, in fact.
I will NOT comply.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 01:09:30 am »

Pelosi. Ryan. Pelosi.

From my understanding...correct me if I'm wrong, the debate isn't whether to leave the EU or not. The debate is whether to leave with or without Trade deals in place.

The will of the voters isn't being undermined here
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2019, 01:37:58 am »
From my understanding...correct me if I'm wrong, the debate isn't whether to leave the EU or not. The debate is whether to leave with or without Trade deals in place.

The will of the voters isn't being undermined here

You're wrong.  It is actually, in practical terms, exactly about Brexit/Remain.  Those that don't want it at all are simply demanding a "deal," then refusing to accept any deal proffered.  It's a playground ploy that you people must think Boris Johnson is too stupid to notice.   *****rollingeyes*****
I will NOT comply.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2019, 01:45:42 am »
You're wrong.  It is actually, in practical terms, exactly about Brexit/Remain.  Those that don't want it at all are simply demanding a "deal," then refusing to accept any deal proffered.  It's a playground ploy that you people must think Boris Johnson is too stupid to notice.   *****rollingeyes*****

Ah, I haven't been following the process too closely. I'm just here for the drama of it all.

What's this about them having a vote in October? Is that a Parliamentary vote or is the the general public?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2019, 02:06:23 am »
Ah, I haven't been following the process too closely. I'm just here for the drama of it all.

What's this about them having a vote in October? Is that a Parliamentary vote or is the the general public?

That, I'm afraid, is a detail I don't know either.  I think it still requires a vote to Brexit, even without a deal.  It's become extremely unlikely the October 31 deadline will hold now.  It's going to take the public, who voted in favor of Brexit, getting riled up at the obstinate nature of their government.  Maybe a fresh election like Johnson wanted but isn't getting.

It's drama, on this we agree 100%.   :beer:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 10:49:54 am »
 A bill aimed at preventing a no-deal Brexit was approved by the Commons on Wednesday and a deal was agreed in the early hours of Thursday that Tory peers would not attempt to talk it out - filibuster - in the Lords.
The government says this bill will complete its passage through the Lords on Friday.

Meanwhile, the prime minister's brother Jo Johnson has quit as Tory MP and minister, saying he is "torn between family and national interest".

And elsewhere, independent MP Luciana Berger, who left the Labour Party for Change UK earlier this year, has joined the Liberal Democrats, saying she was joining "in the national interest, to offer a vital, positive alternative to Johnson and Corbyn".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49591630

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 10:53:35 am »
The resignation of the PM’s brother is front page news across the pond right now.

It’s looking more and more like it will be the year of the three PM’s. And if we recall from history, the last time there were three emperors in Ancient Rome the last one ushered in a new dynasty, and peace (for a few decades anyway)

I wish for peace.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:48 am »
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/05/europe/jo-johnson-boris-brother-resigns-intl-gbr/index.html

Jo Johnson bowing out, W. Churchill's grandson bowing out,  what kind of Brexit do they want? A soft Brexit? Things aren't going well.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1168997535450640384
Farage, "we are rapidly headed towards a very dark place".

It's almost looking like there is no way out.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2019, 12:02:25 am »
Those Brits don't seem to have much of a future in front of them.
And it's gettin' worse all the time.

EC, where are you...?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2019, 11:36:12 am »
Boris Johnson says he will refuse to delay Brexit even if he is LEGALLY required
Mail Online | 9/6/2019 | Jack Maidment, Deputy Political Editor For Mailonline 
katz1234 (Posted by) Level 3
5:56 EST in General

A defiant Boris Johnson today suggested he will not ask the EU to delay Brexit even if he is legally required to do so as opposition leaders agreed to work together to block the PM's bid to trigger an early general election.

A rebel anti-No Deal law is expected to make its way onto the UK statute book on Monday after the House of Lords backed it this afternoon.

Premier - Brexit - Extension - Brussels - Britain
It will force the premier to seek a Brexit extension if Brussels and Britain have not struck an agreement in the run up to October 31.

Read more at: https://www.longroom.com/discussion/1620008/boris-johnson-says-he-will-refuse-to-delay-brexit-even-if-he-is-legally-required

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2019, 01:01:31 pm »
Boris Johnson could go to jail if he refuses to delay Brexit, says former prosecutions chief

Former attorney general Dominic Grieve echoes the warning, accusing the PM of acting like a "spoilt child having a tantrum".

Breaking

By Rob Powell, political correspondent

The former director of public prosecutions has told Sky News that Boris Johnson could go to prison if he refuses to delay Brexit in the face of court action.

The prime minister has said he will not agree an extension, despite parliament passing a law forcing him to do so.

Lord MacDonald, who held the senior prosecutor post between 2003 and 2008, said legal action would mean a court ordering that "the law should be followed".

(Snip)

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-could-go-to-jail-if-he-refuses-to-delay-brexit-says-former-prosecutions-chief-11804290

@TomSea