Author Topic: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specifically In The Constit  (Read 889 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specifically In The Constitution’

Scott Morefield
Reporter
August 31, 2019 11:42 AM ET

Chris Hayes argued that the Electoral College “would be unconstitutional” if it “wasn’t specifically in the Constitution.”

The MSNBC host made the comment during a lecture-style presentation knocking the system on Friday night’s “All In with Chris Hayes.”

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

more
https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/31/chris-hayes-electoral-college-would-be-unconstitutional/?fbclid=IwAR0gCRSp_-Qq7ARf1PR-zYAujMa_OFaH8jN_C2cnX_D00i_u9C9nSQxlBWw
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:16:35 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

I think it was for media numb skulls like Chris Hayes and millennial nitwits like AOC—and the ignorance of her supporters, that the electoral college was enshrined.

Yes, in selecting a president of all the people, it was designed to protect less populated rural states from larger heavily populated states and for reasons related to the slave states. But, in today’s context it also serves as a buffer against the soul sucking effects of bicoastal liberal elitism.

But for the wisdom of our founders and the great men who carry the torch forward, America would be in a world of hurt:

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.”
Ronald Reagan
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:32:00 pm by aligncare »

Offline jpsb

The Marxist progressive left is trying very hard to change the republic into a democracy (mob rule). The founders knew
that democracies don't last and turn into the dictatorships once a strong leader gains power. Globalists are desperate
to destroy the USA.  We and our constitution only survive if we reelect Trump in 2020.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
jpsb observes (correctly):
"We and our constitution only survive if we reelect Trump in 2020."

True.
But what happens in January 2025?

I sense that Mr. Trump is a "one-of-a-kind" leader for our time.
In a similar way to Mr. Reagan being to his time almost 40 years ago in 1980.

Fishrrman prediction:
Mr. Trump is to America today as was Rudy Giuliani to New York City twenty years ago.

As NYC enjoyed a Renaissance under the Giuliani administration, so America as a nation is experiencing one under Mr. Trump's tenure.

But in New York the revival was destined to fade with Rudy's departure. Look where it has fallen today with the communist mayor who does little to hide his beliefs.

I sense that America may suffer the same fate with Mr. Trump's departure.

Name me two Republicans who could pick up the Trump torch and carry it forward with the same zeal and fearlessness of the democrat-communists as it is wielded today...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

About as stupid a comment I ever read.

Like saying black is not spelled white as it is black.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten

Chris Hayes argued that the Electoral College “would be unconstitutional” if it “wasn’t specifically in the Constitution.”

I think he's correct.  But it simply highlights how the meaning of the US Constitution has changed over the course of history and, in my opinion, much of that change has been detrimental.

The Union as originally conceived during that Philadelphia summer of 1787 was intended to be a union of states and, simultaneously but separately, a union of people.  Only the latter characteristic survives today.  Lincoln's war against state sovereignty dealt a death blow, which was finally consummated by the 17th Amendment.  The representation and meaning of the *states* is on thin ice in American government; I fear both the electoral college and even the Senate are not sustainable given the current shallow level of civic thought.
James 1:20

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

For myself, that's the dumbest I ever heard. When you can't even grasp foundational, fundamental, definitional concepts, God help you...and us.
The Republic is lost.

Offline PeteS in CA

Yep. Congress would be unconstitutional if it weren't in the constitution. the US Supreme Court would be unconstitutional if it weren't in the constitution. _________ would be unconstitutional if it weren't in the constitution. That comment was so stupid that even some MesSNBC viewers had to have been face-palming.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
I think he's correct.  But it simply highlights how the meaning of the US Constitution has changed over the course of history and, in my opinion, much of that change has been detrimental.

The Union as originally conceived during that Philadelphia summer of 1787 was intended to be a union of states and, simultaneously but separately, a union of people.  Only the latter characteristic survives today.  Lincoln's war against state sovereignty dealt a death blow, which was finally consummated by the 17th Amendment.  The representation and meaning of the *states* is on thin ice in American government; I fear both the electoral college and even the Senate are not sustainable given the current shallow level of civic thought.

Both the EC and Senate were intended to limit the power of populous states. Without those protections many states would not have joined the union, or at least would have been in much less of a hurry to join. I'd like to think that argument would carry some weight with the courts when attempts are made to change it.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Right_in_Virginia

MSNBC's Chris Hayes Conflates History When Explaining Why The Electoral College Should Cease To Exist
Townhall, Aug 31, 2019

[...]

In Hayes' eyes, this would be considered unconstitutional because the Supreme Court had a jurisprudence saying one person equals one vote.

"The idea is that each individual's vote has to carry roughly the same amount of weight as each other individual vote, which is a pretty intuitive concept, but was not a reality," Hayes explained. "There are all sorts of crazy representational systems that were created that would not give one person, one vote and would disenfranchise certain minorities. You can guess which ones."

What's amazing though, is Hayes uses the idea of cracking and packing districts as a means of explaining how the Electoral College disenfranchises people of color.

"Here's an example. Let's say you have a city. It's 60 percent black and 40 percent white. Here's how you ensure white people stay in charge: divide the city into four voting districts but you put the entire black population in one district, 60 percent of the people, and each district allows one city council member and viola. A majority black city is run by a majority white government," Hayes concluded.

But that conclusion has nothing to do with the Electoral College. If anything, what Hayes is talking about is gerrymandering, the practice of drawing district lines so it favors one political party over another (or in his example, one race over the other). The Electoral College was established so that large metropolitan areas, like Los Angeles and New York City, don't trample on smaller flyover states like Kansas or Wyoming.

Read more:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/08/31/msnbcs-chris-hayes-conflates-history-when-explaining-why-the-electoral-college-s-n2552468

Offline LottieDah

The next thing you know Chris Hayes would say "H20 is what makes water wet."

Offline skeeter

What he's saying, whether he knows it or not (I suspect not), is collectively we are too stupid today to understand why allocating political power among a union of states should a bit more complicated than just the counting of votes.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
September 1, 2019
Deep thoughts on the Constitution from MSNBC’s Chris Hayes
By Thomas Lifson

Chris Hayes of MSNBC apparently is a big fan of tautology, delivering one of the stupidest lines of recent cable news memory. His studio audience failed to understand the fatuousness of this claim about the Electoral College:

“If it wasn’t [sic] in the Constitution specifically for the presidency, it would be unconstitutional.”

You may not believe me, so I have cued the video embedded below to the moment he utters this meaningless dictum:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/09/deep_thoughts_from_msnbcs_chris_hayes_on_the_constitution.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

September 1, 2019
Deep thoughts on the Constitution from MSNBC’s Chris Hayes
By Thomas Lifson

Chris Hayes of MSNBC apparently is a big fan of tautology, delivering one of the stupidest lines of recent cable news memory. His studio audience failed to understand the fatuousness of this claim about the Electoral College:

“If it wasn’t [sic] in the Constitution specifically for the presidency, it would be unconstitutional.”

You may not believe me, so I have cued the video embedded below to the moment he utters this meaningless dictum:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/09/deep_thoughts_from_msnbcs_chris_hayes_on_the_constitution.html

Watch this video -- it is the quintessential example of what the American liberal education agenda has produced --- and it is beyond terrifying. 

rangerrebew

MSNBC’s Chris Hayes: If the Electoral College Wasn’t in the Constitution, It Would Be Unconstitutional

Jeff Poor31 Aug 2019

Friday on MSNBC’s “All In,” host Chris Hayes took on the Electoral College and how it can allow for candidates to win the presidency without a majority of the vote, which undermines the premise of one person, one vote.

During his dissertation, Hayes made the astounding conclusion that if the Electoral College were not a part of the U.S. Constitution, it would be unconstitutional.

“It’s basically this, do we actually really believe in democracy, right?” Hayes said. “The question before us now in the Electoral College question is, are we going to actually live up to the promise of one person one vote. Now, to be fair, it is not surprising the Republicans are defending the Electoral College, right. There’s a very obvious reason for that. Since 1992 we have had seven presidential elections. Republicans have won the popular vote one time, but they’ve gotten three presidents out of it which is a very sweet deal if you’re the Republican Party, right.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/08/31/msnbcs-chris-hayes-if-the-electoral-college-wasnt-in-the-constitution-it-would-be-unconstitutional/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+breitbart+%28Breitbart+News%29

rangerrebew

With geniuses such as he, there is little wonder why MSNBC has been in such hot water lately. *****rollingeyes*****

Offline PeteS in CA

As I commented in this thread:

Congress would be unconstitutional if it weren't in the constitution. the US Supreme Court would be unconstitutional if it weren't in the constitution. _________ would be unconstitutional if it weren't in the constitution. That comment was so stupid that even some MesSNBC viewers had to have been face-palming.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Which goes to show how off-base the Warren Court was on one-man, one-vote.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
With geniuses such as he, there is little wonder why MSNBC has been in such hot water lately. *****rollingeyes*****

What a moron.  Unconstitutional if it wasn't in the Constitution.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Slide Rule

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote