Author Topic: STAY INSIDE: Multiple active shooters reported in Midland, Odessa...updated  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: STAY INSIDE: Multiple active shooters reported in Midland, Odessa...updated
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2019, 07:20:01 pm »
I was pulled over by the DPS for license plate light out one nite around 3 A.M. coming back from flounder gigging down at Surfside. I had just made the turn for Hoskins Mound off 523 when they pulled me and my son over. They kept us there for 45 minutes before they let us go with nary a ticket. Not another car came by during that time.

Offline corbe

« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2019, 08:01:32 pm »
Gunman called FBI and police prior to shooting

by Zachary Halaschak

September 02, 2019 03:47 PM

The gunman in the Odessa shooting called the FBI and police after being fired from his job and prior to his shooting rampage.

Police said that Seth Aaron Ator, 36, made contact with authorities prior to the slayings that killed seven and injured 19 more, according to the Associated Press. Details of the call, or if Ator spoke specifically about violence is not clear.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gunman-reportedly-called-fbi-and-police-prior-to-shooting
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2019, 08:29:25 pm »
Gunman called FBI and police prior to shooting

by Zachary Halaschak

September 02, 2019 03:47 PM

The gunman in the Odessa shooting called the FBI and police after being fired from his job and prior to his shooting rampage.

Police said that Seth Aaron Ator, 36, made contact with authorities prior to the slayings that killed seven and injured 19 more, according to the Associated Press. Details of the call, or if Ator spoke specifically about violence is not clear.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gunman-reportedly-called-fbi-and-police-prior-to-shooting

The plot thickens. Casts doubt on the routine traffic stop. The "authorities" find it acceptable to lie to the public. I don't understand their being so tightlipped since he was dead.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »
The plot thickens. Casts doubt on the routine traffic stop. The "authorities" find it acceptable to lie to the public. I don't understand their being so tightlipped since he was dead. 

This is getting more and more curious.....  :pondering:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2019, 08:38:58 pm »

I don't know that it's a lie.  I suspect that they got a call that created some concern, and the street cops pulled him over using the failure to signal as the precipitating offense.  Just easier and more standard procedure than: "we thought you might be the guy that made a weird couple of phone calls." 

Of course, we don't know what was said in his call, so I may be totally wrong.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2019, 08:44:17 pm »
I don't know that it's a lie.  I suspect that they got a call that created some concern, and the street cops pulled him over using the failure to signal as the precipitating offense.  Just easier and more standard procedure than: "we thought you might be the guy that made a weird couple of phone calls." 

Of course, we don't know what was said in his call, so I may be totally wrong.

You?  Wrong?   Perish the thought!!

:silly:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2019, 08:49:08 pm »
You?  Wrong?   Perish the thought!!

:silly:

:tongue2:

Offline verga

« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2019, 08:50:35 pm »
It happens.  If you don't use a turn signal right in front of the cops, and if you look a bit sketchy, they absolutely will pull you over.
Especially near the end of the month, and they still have unwritten tickets in the book.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline corbe

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2019, 09:09:15 pm »
   Had he not committed the 'No Blinker' no brainer, episode they could have got him on the Tail Light thingee, it's real popular in Texas.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2019, 09:11:07 pm »
Abbott says Odessa gunman failed background check. Criminals don’t follow gun rules.
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/09/02/abbott-says-odessa-gunman-failed-background-check-criminals-dont-follow-gun-rules-813467
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2019, 09:19:11 pm »
Criminals don’t follow gun rules.

That's it in a nutshell.  Doesn't matter what kind of universal background checks or enhanced background checks legislation the idiots in DC come up with, they will not prevent gun violence by criminals.  They don't give a flying fig about gun laws.  One way or another they will find a way to get a firearm. 

Offline EdJames

« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2019, 09:29:23 pm »
   Had he not committed the 'No Blinker' no brainer, episode they could have got him on the Tail Light thingee, it's real popular in Texas.

That reminds me of a little dustup I had years ago...

I was coming down Highway 19 about an hour or so from home...  it was just about 2 hours or so past dusk...  I meant to get on the road a lot sooner but I won the last dart game and had to drink two more pitchers of beer....

I had planned to get home before dark since I had a slight issue with the main wiring harness and had no exterior lights on the vehicle....

A county sheriff pulled me over as I glided through an amber light at a crossing....  I figured as long as I was friendly and respectful I would have no big problems....

After promising to mail him copies of my insurance card and registration (I just couldn't find them....), he asked me if I knew that I had no headlights?

I said "Yes, sir" and showed him the big flashlight on top of the 9 volt battery that I had next to me on the seat....  I told him that I planned to turn that on if I saw any oncoming traffic coming at me....  I thought that was a more than reasonable accommodation on my part, but he almost didn't seem to believe me....  :shrug:

Then he asked me if I realized that I had no taillights on the vehicle?

I said "Yes, sir" and pulled out the orange reflective glove that I had under my seat....  I told him that I planned to put it on my left hand and hold it out the driver's side window if I felt that I had to slow down or stop my vehicle....

Again with the incredulous look at me!!  To me, that was another clever accommodation on my part....

He had me sit there for about 30 minutes while he called in my plate.....  I swear that he was just mocking me when he asked me to hold out the flashlight and glove for him....  he took a snap shot with the big old Polaroid camera that he had with him....

He asked where I was headed and I told him not too far....  he gave me a warning and told me to make sure to use the glove if I needed to stop at any intersections....

I think I got off easy, and I never remembered to mail in those photocopies of my credentials....  truth told, I couldn't find them if my life depended on it....

:shrug:

Offline corbe

« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2019, 09:33:35 pm »
   I'd still be in jail had I tried those excuses on my local Gestapo Police Force @EdJames

Offline austingirl

« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2019, 09:37:53 pm »

I was coming down Highway 19 about an hour or so from home...  it was just about 2 hours or so past dusk...  I meant to get on the road a lot sooner but I won the last dart game and had to drink two more pitchers of beer....

I had planned to get home before dark since I had a slight issue with the main wiring harness and had no exterior lights on the vehicle....

A county sheriff pulled me over as I glided through an amber light at a crossing....  I figured as long as I was friendly and respectful I would have no big problems....

After promising to mail him copies of my insurance card and registration (I just couldn't find them....), he asked me if I knew that I had no headlights?

I said "Yes, sir" and showed him the big flashlight on top of the 9 volt battery that I had next to me on the seat....  I told him that I planned to turn that on if I saw any oncoming traffic coming at me....  I thought that was a more than reasonable accommodation on my part, but he almost didn't seem to believe me....  :shrug:

I said "Yes, sir" and pulled out the orange reflective glove that I had under my seat....  I told him that I planned to put it on my left hand and hold it out the driver's side window if I felt that I had to slow down or stop my vehicle....

Again with the incredulous look at me!!  To me, that was another clever accommodation on my part....

He had me sit there for about 30 minutes while he called in my plate.....  I swear that he was just mocking me when he asked me to hold out the flashlight and glove for him....  he took a snap shot with the big old Polaroid camera that he had with him....

He asked where I was headed and I told him not too far....  he gave me a warning and told me to make sure to use the glove if I needed to stop at any intersections....

I think I got off easy, and I never remembered to mail in those photocopies of my credentials....  truth told, I couldn't find them if my life depended on it....

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2019, 09:48:43 pm »

I'm sure he was giving you credit for creativity and chutzpah. 

Offline EdJames

« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2019, 09:59:14 pm »
   I'd still be in jail had I tried those excuses on my local Gestapo Police Force @EdJames

My bad, @corbe ....

I forgot to mention a key detail....  when he asked me why I had the big dark wraparound sunglasses on well after dark, I gave him a card that my doctor had given me earlier that week.....  I was having some cataract problems at the time, and the card indicated that I was temporarily, legally blind....  so I guess he just felt sorry for me....     :shrug:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2019, 10:02:31 pm »
My bad, @corbe ....

I forgot to mention a key detail....  when he asked me why I had the big dark wraparound sunglasses on well after dark, I gave him a card that my doctor had given me earlier that week.....  I was having some cataract problems at the time, and the card indicated that I was temporarily, legally blind....  so I guess he just felt sorry for me....     :shrug:

You should get together with some of the other yarn spinners I'm aquainted with @EdJames
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2019, 10:08:37 pm »
You should get together with some of the other yarn spinners I'm aquainted with @EdJames

888high58888

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2019, 11:29:20 pm »

He's pretty good at this, Bigun.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2019, 11:45:29 pm »
FBI: West Texas gunman 'was on a long spiral of going down'

Abbott tweeted that Ator didn't go through a background check for the weapon he used in Odessa. He did not elaborate, and a spokesman referred questions to the Texas Department of Public Safety, which didn't immediately respond for comment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-unsure-why-man-went-040100404.html

The cries of ‘gun show loophole’ to be heard, soon.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 11:51:40 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:39 am »
He's pretty good at this, Bigun.

:yowsa:  And so are some others I am acquainted with.  My old sea do uncle being chief among them.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2019, 01:34:31 am »
I was hoping to open up the last page of this discussion and get an update on the shooter, and find a half page of police bashing. Sad.
 Remember it was a simple traffic violation stop that caught both  Ted Bundy and the Oklahoma City bomber.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2019, 11:25:40 pm »
Sad, we lost a lot of good people. Sad, sad.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/west-texas-shooting-victims-an-army-vet-a-15-year-old-girl-a-mail-carrier-and-others/ar-AAGKEi8

Was he just firing his gun off driving around? It sounds like it, I've kept up with the story.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2019, 11:32:05 pm »
Sad, we lost a lot of good people. Sad, sad.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/west-texas-shooting-victims-an-army-vet-a-15-year-old-girl-a-mail-carrier-and-others/ar-AAGKEi8

Was he just firing his gun off driving around? It sounds like it, I've kept up with the story.

I would really like to understand this.  He is acting badly at work, gets fired for his actions and his response is to acquire a gun (apparently illegally) and go around randomly shooting strangers?  How does that work?

Offline austingirl

« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2019, 12:22:40 am »
I would really like to understand this.  He is acting badly at work, gets fired for his actions and his response is to acquire a gun (apparently illegally) and go around randomly shooting strangers?  How does that work?

I think either mental illness or illegal drug use is likely to be a factor.