Author Topic: Turkey to seek 'alternatives' to US F-35 fighter jet  (Read 293 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Turkey to seek 'alternatives' to US F-35 fighter jet
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:40:10 am »
Istanbul (AFP) - A day after vowing closer defence cooperation with Russia, Turkey said Wednesday it would seek "alternatives" to the F-35 fighter jet programme the United States has excluded it from.

Washington said last month Turkey will be scrapped from the F-35 programme after Ankara bought Russian S-400 air defence systems.

"We need war jets. If we cannot buy the F-35s, we will look for new alternatives," official news agency Anadolu quoted Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu as saying in the Estonian capital of Tallinn.

[snip]

Putin said he and Erdogan had discussed further military cooperation, including on Russia's Sukhoi Su-35 fighter jet, while the Turkish leader expressed Ankara's willingness to continue defence collaboration.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/turkey-seek-alternatives-us-f-35-fighter-jet-181346756.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Turkey to seek 'alternatives' to US F-35 fighter jet
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 12:42:07 am »
They have not been a reliable NATO or UN ally, since Korea. Remove the nukes and our forces from Incirlik, then kick ‘em to the curb.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:05:26 am »
It looks like the Su-35 would be a step up from the F-16s Turkey's AF currently operates. But depending on the avionics suite, it might be approximately equivalent in capability and performance to current USAF F-15s. And that's assuming Russia doesn't sell Turkey a dumbed-down export version instead of the Su-35S it operates. Were I the Russians, I'd be a bit nervous selling the current top-of-the-line fighter, fully configured. The opportunities for the US to learn more than Russia might like would be pretty significant.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 01:10:26 am »
It looks like the Su-35 would be a step up from the F-16s Turkey's AF currently operates. But depending on the avionics suite, it might be approximately equivalent in capability and performance to current USAF F-15s. And that's assuming Russia doesn't sell Turkey a dumbed-down export version instead of the Su-35S it operates. Were I the Russians, I'd be a bit nervous selling the current top-of-the-line fighter, fully configured. The opportunities for the US to learn more than Russia might like would be pretty significant.

Allies or clients that receive military hardware from the Russians or US never receive the fully capable platform.