Author Topic: Panic! At The DNC: General Feeling Is That Trump Is Just Killing Them On All Fronts  (Read 230 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Panic! At The DNC: General Feeling Is That Trump Is Just Killing Them On All Fronts
Townhall, Aug 28, 2019

<snip>

Panic could be aptly applied to what they said, especially about how there’s a feeling that Trump is beating them on all fronts. There’s also some frustration about chair Tom Perez continuing to ignore Rust Belt voters. Overall, it’s this fear that the Trump team is already reaching swing voters, while the Democrats are just content with their base (via Daily Beast):

Jim Zogby, who co-chairs the DNC’s ethnic counsel, a group that represents people across different ethnic, racial, national origin, and religious identities, says he has been pushing Perez and other party leaders to expand its outreach to voters in the same areas that Trump successfully captured: Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and—a Democratic sore spot in post-2016 politics—Wisconsin.

But that outreach to the committee has fallen on deaf ears.

“In Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, if we do events in those states that focuses on everyone else but them, that breeds resentment,” Zogby said. “That’s why [former Vice President Joe] Biden and [Sen.] Bernie [Sanders I-VT] do well, because they talk to those folks.”

Zogby was specifically referencing voters from Irish, Italian, Polish, Eastern Central European, Arab, and Armenian-American communities highly concentrated in the Midwest.

“I am frustrated beyond belief at the sheer neglect of the constituencies I represent,” he added.

Zogby’s chief concern—raised by several other current DNC members who spoke with The Daily Beast—is that the Trump campaign is already reaching swing voters while the Democratic Party is overwhelmingly focused on expanding their existing base.

[…]

"Donald Trump is in general election mode while we’re still in primary mode. We see it in Ohio,” David Pepper, who chairs the state’s Democratic Party said. “He’s absolutely carpet-bombing Ohio online. We’re doing our best to respond.”

[…]

…a DNC official directly familiar with battleground states’ efforts suggested all the messaging hasn’t trickled down to much action on the ground level yet.

“There’s some deep concerns brewing under the surface. Nothing that’s spilled into the public yet,” the member said. “Where’s all the support? They keep talking about the calories coming. People generally are feeling Trump is beating us on all fronts right now.”

The national party’s fundraising woes continue to present a problem when up against the Republican National Committee and the Trump campaign’s significant advantage, multiple members said.

“The DNC is cash-strapped right now,” one member said plainly.

In June, the Republican National Committee more than doubled the DNC’s fundraising haul, totaling $20.7 million to $8.5 million, respectively.

More:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/08/28/panic-at-the-dnc-general-feeling-is-that-trump-is-just-killing-them-on-all-fron-n2552312

Offline bilo

Zogby’s chief concern—raised by several other current DNC members who spoke with The Daily Beast—is that the Trump campaign is already reaching swing voters while the Democratic Party is overwhelmingly focused on expanding their existing base.

It's one of the reasons a sitting POTUS is very hard to beat. They are running primaries and have to get their base to the polls just to get the nomination. Trump has done a beautiful job of marginalizing all of them so whoever does get the nomination is really handicapped.

I'm not buying the polling either. After what Trump has been able to get done with little or no help how can he not be re-elected.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home