Author Topic: Mattis swipes at Trump, warns of ‘storm clouds gathering’ amid fractured alliances  (Read 502 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mattis swipes at Trump, warns of ‘storm clouds gathering’ amid fractured alliances

By Brooke Singman | Fox News

ormer Defense Secretary Jim Mattis took several implicit swipes at President Trump’s leadership in an op-ed published Wednesday, warning about the fallout from fractured alliances and increasing divisiveness under the current administration.

Mattis’ comments were included in a lengthy essay adapted from a forthcoming book and published in The Wall Street Journal. They amount to the most extensive remarks from him about his time in the Trump administration since he quietly resigned in January.

In the essay, Mattis suggested he left his post as secretary of defense amid concerns about “keeping faith with our allies,” warning that America “cannot go it alone.”

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mattis-swipes-at-trump-warns-of-storm-clouds-gathering-amid-fractured-alliances

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Right_in_Virginia

I'm sure this has nothing to do with boosting sales for his upcoming book.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Absalom

Sadly, many self labeled conservatives, refuse to hear a solitary bad word about anyone
who ever wore a uniform, such as Mattis.
Reality is that the Pentagon, another DC bureaucracy has plenty of these self-serving hustlers.
Our foreign/military performance since the Korean War is mute testament to that harsh reality.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:48:02 pm by Absalom »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mattis warns of 'storm clouds gathering' without commitment to allies
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 12:18:24 am »
Mattis warns of 'storm clouds gathering' without commitment to allies

ormer Defense Secretary James Mattis warned against shunning allies and America breaking down into “tribalism” in his first extensive remarks since leaving office.

In an essay published Wednesday in The Wall Street Journal adapted from his forthcoming book “Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead,” Mattis lamented divisive leaders who fail to recognize the importance of allies.

“Nations with allies thrive, and those without them wither,” Mattis wrote. “Alone, America cannot protect our people and our economy. At this time, we can see storm clouds gathering. A polemicist’s role is not sufficient for a leader. A leader must display strategic acumen that incorporates respect for those nations that have stood with us when trouble loomed.”

Read more at: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/459097-mattis-warns-of-storm-clouds-gathering-without-commitment-to-allies

Offline TomSea

I'm glad he came out and said all of this. He's been pretty quiet. I agree with most of what I've seen, I agree with the "allies" part, I need to read more, did he talk about America becoming more tribal as well? Or similar? I think so.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sadly, many self labeled conservatives, refuse to hear a solitary bad word about anyone
who ever wore a uniform, such as Mattis.
Reality is that the Pentagon, another DC bureaucracy has plenty of these self-serving hustlers.
Our foreign/military performance since the Korean War is mute testament to that harsh reality.

You said a mouthful @Absalom and said it very well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

“keeping faith with our allies,”

What does this profound catchphrase mean? 

Do we break this "faith" when we put our nation first by refusing to spend billions to spearhead the global financial Ponzi scheme to save the planet or when we refuse to shut down our industries based on the assessment of other nations when we are fully capable of controlling our own emissions?   

When we ask our allies to stop robbing us blind and pay their fair share for their own defense is this cherished faith torn asunder? 

When we put the brakes on an international agreement heading full speed ahead toward nuclear blackmail, if not war, in the Middle East should we really be worried about breaking faith with our Western European allies because this hurts their trade with Iran?

Just exactly how do we beak this grand "faith" with our allies?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:00:09 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline TomSea

What does this profound catchphrase mean? 

Do we break this "faith" when we put our nation first by refusing to spend billions to spearhead the global financial Ponzi scheme to save the planet or when we refuse to shut down our industries based on the assessment of other nations when we are fully capable of controlling our own emissions?   

When we ask our allies to stop robbing us blind and pay their fair share for their own defense is this cherished faith torn asunder? 

When we put the brakes on an international agreement heading full speed ahead toward nuclear blackmail, if not war, in the Middle East should we really be worried about breaking faith with our Western European allies because this hurts their trade with Iran?

Just exactly how do we beak this grand "faith" with our allies?

Maybe we will have to read the book.

I do believe they say Gen. Mattis has leaned towards climate-change. I'm not sure what that means though or if it is necessarily true.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It used to be Opinions were like ass holes, everyone had one.   Now it goes for tell-all Books. Every bleep with a claim to fame has one.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Maybe we will have to read the book.

I do believe they say Gen. Mattis has leaned towards climate-change. I'm not sure what that means though or if it is necessarily true.

Actually, Matthis was not on board most of the President's global agenda, but this wasn't my point or my question.  I'm starting to think this "breaking faith", "keeping faith" apparently applies to the US and not the Western European bloc.