Author Topic: Marc Thiessen: Trump administration can't defend the defensible  (Read 148 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

Marc Thiessen: Trump administration can't defend the defensible
 By Marc Thiessen | The Washington Post

But then President Trump's acting director of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Ken Cuccinelli, decided to rewrite Emma Lazarus's words etched on the base of the Statue of Liberty.

Asked in an NPR interview whether the words "Give me your tired, your poor" are still part of the American ethos, Cuccinelli replied that what Lazarus really meant to say was: "Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge." The president's critics pounced on the unforced error.

Lazarus did not need Team Trump's editing. She wrote: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" – not yearning for food stamps or free government health care. Trump is not changing the American ethos; the Democrats who want to give free stuff to foreigners are. Not difficult.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/marc-thiessen-trump-administration-defensible

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Marc Thiessen: Trump administration can't defend the defensible
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 12:36:29 pm »
Good point.   No one,  I think, has any problem with the tired, huddled and poor who "yearn to breathe free".    Heck,  we need more immigrants to come here to work hard and achieve their dreams in our unique cauldron of self-advancement.   These folks don't need or want "free stuff".    They want freedom itself.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide