Author Topic: Breaking: Andrew Luck Retiring From NFL  (Read 819 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Breaking: Andrew Luck Retiring From NFL
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:02:43 am »
Report: Andrew Luck retiring from NFL
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 24, 2019, 9:33 PM EDT   

In the most stunning story of the year in the NFL, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has reportedly decided to retire.

Luck will announce his retirement on Sunday, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

After dealing with a leg injury throughout training camp and the preseason, Luck is described as mentally worn down and ready to walk away.

More at: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/report-andrew-luck-retiring-from-nfl/

Sporting News has "due to mental wear and tear".
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/andrew-luck-to-retire-from-nfl-due-to-mental-wear-and-tear/1pfzbf22mk1zf1o2xwm1et7a09

I'm a bit bummed, one of the good guys in the NFL, class act, imho.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:06:44 am by TomSea »

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Re: Breaking: Andrew Luck Retiring From NFL
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:07:03 am »
Shocking news, Tommy!

I really liked Luck.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:14:40 am »
The article reads something like he wasn't the same QB after the injuries, I don't know. That's pretty negative but apparently, it can happen to sports stars. I'm not saying it happened to Luck necessarily.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 02:20:30 am »
Luck was 2018 Comeback Player of the year after missing 2017....

So young, only 29.....

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 02:22:47 am »
Good for him.

Years from now, he'll realize he did the right thing.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 02:24:42 am »
Suck For Luck Tua!

Offline Absalom

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 04:24:31 am »
Andrew Luck got tired of the pain and decided to end it.
More importantly, he earned a degree in Architectural Engineering at Stanford.
Suspect he'll do just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 05:00:46 pm »
Robert A George
@RobGeorge
·
13h
You can still cut him, right???
Quote Tweet

O.J. Simpson
@TheRealOJ32
 Â· 15h
Andrew Luck you couldn’t have shared that news before I drafted you an hour ago?  #andrewluck @Colts

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 09:35:10 pm »
I don't watch anymore...but when I did, Luck seemed to be a good qb and a decent guy.

Good for him getting out before he ended up in a wheelchair. It sounds to me like he has other avenues in his life and values his health over money or glory.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 05:07:46 pm »
Sounds like he made the right choice. In my lifetime I have seen NFL Players who constantly get hurt yet still play, play hurt, or just play to damn long and suffer the consequences of their action down the road. 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 05:40:42 pm »
Sounds like he made the right choice. In my lifetime I have seen NFL Players who constantly get hurt yet still play, play hurt, or just play to damn long and suffer the consequences of their action down the road.

It's something you'll start seeing more.   Players who play for one or two contracts,   make their money, and get out before they're 30.   It's the smart thing to do, especially if you manage your money wisely.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 05:46:33 pm »
It's something you'll start seeing more.   Players who play for one or two contracts,   make their money, and get out before they're 30.   It's the smart thing to do, especially if you manage your money wisely.

I think so.. Those who play the longest are those who don't  manage their money wisely.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 06:09:50 pm »

I think so.. Those who play the longest are those who don't  manage their money wisely.

Those are the ones who think that if they sign a contract for 18 million a year can spend 18 million a year.   
Products of a HS education and basket weaving 101 in college.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline berdie

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 08:06:56 pm »

I'm still shocked and worried that Witten went back on the field.

I agree.  And why the heck would they not? Aside from some not being fiscally responsible I think a lot of them like the cheering crowds and the camaraderie of the team. I can promise you if someone offered me those kind of bucks for two years or so, I'd do it and bail. Of course, I'm not a competitive athlete. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:10:29 pm by berdie »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 09:06:04 pm »

I was thinking today about the Steelers QB, Ben Roethlisberger.  He's 37 and still at it.  Meanwhile, he's had his bell rung a few times, both on and off the field.  He should have stopped several years ago, but he's still playing.  Why, I don't know.  Is it really worth it to get banged up week after week, potentially causing yourself permanent damage that conceivably might shorten your life and for what -- a few extra million? 

If you need money, start a second career.  Many players go into business or entertainment, or do play-by-play or color commentary for football games.  Some work in the front office, scout or  coach.

Jack Lambert, the great Steelers linebacker, did it right.  When his NFL career was over, he retired to his farm near Pittsburgh and all but disappeared from public life.  I understand he coaches local kids' sports, but essentially, he doesn't have to do anything but tend to his farm.  And in his NFL career, Jack didn't make nearly what most players make today.