Author Topic: Andrew C. McCarthy: Why a domestic terrorism law is a terrible idea  (Read 324 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Andrew C. McCarthy: Why a domestic terrorism law is a terrible idea
By Andrew C. McCarthy, opinion contributor — 08/25/19 09:30 AM EDT

There is nothing more powerful in Washington, it seems, than a bad idea whose time has come. So welcome to the big push for the federal criminalization of domestic terrorism.

The impulse, of course, is understandable. We have had a spate of mass-shooting attacks. In one of them, a white racist murdered 22 innocent people at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas. He is said to have been animated by what he allegedly called the “Hispanic invasion of Texas.” To date, the assassin has not been tied to any terrorist organization.

Nevertheless, the attack fits the federal-law definition of domestic terrorism: a violent act intended to (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/458690-andrew-mccarthy-why-a-domestic-terrorism-law-is-a-terrible-idea
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Andrew C. McCarthy: Why a domestic terrorism law is a terrible idea
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 04:52:18 pm »
Is a murder victim more dead and his/her family and friends more horrified if the murderer was motivated by "hate"?

Is a murder victim more dead and his/her family and friends more horrified if the murderer was motivated by "domestic terrorism"?

Such laws accomplish no good purpose, but enable thought control. They are a giant leap toward the existence of a mainstream political POV being declared criminal. Government cannot be trusted with that kind of authority.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:38:45 pm »
I think the use of the word "terrorism" is being misused or overused in cases of "mass" killings. Terrorist acts are committed by more organized people, groups or organizations with a definite political agenda. Mass shooters, even if they leave behind a manifesto, are committed by nutcases who want to be famous for a day.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:43:58 pm »
I think the use of the word "terrorism" is being misused or overused in cases of "mass" killings. Terrorist acts are committed by more organized people, groups or organizations with a definite political agenda. Mass shooters, even if they leave behind a manifesto, are committed by nutcases who want to be famous for a day.

Depending on the user's cause, definitions are racist, misogynist, homophobic, terrorist, etc., etc., etc. .......
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 06:26:53 pm »
Depending on the user's cause, definitions are racist, misogynist, homophobic, terrorist, etc., etc., etc. .......
Precisely. The Right will go for this, because of Antifa. Had the Left tried it, the resistance would have been unreal.

But that ignores the bottom line that whoever is in power will determine who is considered a 'terrorist', and conspiring to protest the antics of a 'pride parade' might make the grade under different management, while tearing down and defacing public monuments and beating down journalists in the street might not qualify under an Administration that sympathizes.
Anyone can be branded as a terrorist, just by adding them to the list.

Eat meat? => You cause climate change! => You are a terrorist!
See how easy that is?

That the crime has been committed, under present law, should be sufficient to prosecute.
Motive should only be considered (if at all) during sentencing.

It doesn't matter whether someone cut me to get my wallet, because they didn't like my looks, or even if they thought I was someone else.
If they live through the experience, they should be charged with 'assault with a deadly weapon'.
I couldn't care less about their motive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 07:08:23 pm »

@Smokin Joe ,

Is one of those White-middle-aged Conservative=terrorist moments?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 07:09:38 pm »
@Smokin Joe ,

Is one of those White-middle-aged Conservative=terrorist moments?
Could be if the fangtastic four get their way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis