Author Topic: NPR: A Look At The ISIS Presence In Afghanistan  (Read 224 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
NPR: A Look At The ISIS Presence In Afghanistan
« on: August 22, 2019, 03:26:28 pm »
Excerpt:
A Look At The ISIS Presence In Afghanistan

MARY LOUISE KELLY, HOST:

In Afghanistan this past weekend, a suicide bombing that was awful even by the standards of violence that that country endures, at least 63 people were killed at a wedding in Kabul. Now, the group claiming responsibility was not the Taliban, not al-Qaida but ISIS. Yesterday, I sat down with Afghanistan's ambassador to the U.S., Roya Rahmani, and asked her how big a security threat ISIS poses in her country. She told me it's growing.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED NPR BROADCAST)

ROYA RAHMANI: It's growing in number, and it's growing in its intensity. And there are concerns they might be able to recruit some of the fighters that may not necessarily join the peace process.

KELLY: Speaking there to fears that ISIS might expand its presence in Afghanistan as President Trump eyes bringing U.S. forces home. Well, for more on this, let's bring in Kelly Magsamen. She tracks Afghanistan from her perch at the Center for American Progress, and she is a veteran of the National Security Councils of both Barack Obama and George W. Bush. Hey there.

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/2019/08/20/752882671/a-look-at-the-isis-presence-in-afghanistan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: NPR: A Look At The ISIS Presence In Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 03:48:44 pm »
Yep, I am clairvoyant.  I predicted that an NPR article referencing ISIS would tell us how bad, how awful, how dangerous the situation is and it's all our fault.