Author Topic: Five Killed in One Day of Shootings in New York City  (Read 465 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Five Killed in One Day of Shootings in New York City
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:20:54 am »
Five Killed in One Day of Shootings in New York City
By Azi Paybarah

Published Aug. 21, 2019

Five people were reported killed in four separate shootings in New York City on Tuesday in one of the deadliest 24-hour sprees in the city in recent memory.

The killings, which did not appear to be connected, come amid a slight increase in gun violence in the city, and echoed a time when multiple deadly shootings in New York in one day were common.

Donovan Richards, chairman of the City Council’s Committee on Public Safety, said that the recent violence paled in comparison to earlier eras. “You could have five murders in the summer in one precinct 20 years ago, and you don’t see that anymore,” he said.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/21/nyregion/ny-shootings.html

I didn't post this earlier, then, I saw a video again of the people throwing water on the ICE agents, or NY officers... and last week, those people gave the Philly police a hard time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:21:50 am by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

Re: Five Killed in One Day of Shootings in New York City
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 01:26:13 pm »
Compared to the number of people killed in Chicago on any weekend, this number is nothing.  But I notice that these killings and those in most other urban areas are largely ignored by those politicians who say they want to "do something" to curb mas shootings.  I guess these killings don't count because (a) they involve members of a protected group and (b) they are more spread out instead of all at once like El Paso, Dayton, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, etc.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 02:07:38 pm »
Actually, that number does exceed Chicago on a recent weekend where I believe 4 people in total were killed. Still a bad number.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 02:44:17 pm »
Actually, that number does exceed Chicago on a recent weekend where I believe 4 people in total were killed. Still a bad number.

Ok.  But I do know of a few holiday weekends in Chicago where the total was in the double digits.

Actually, my point is that these numbers don't matter to all the gun grabbers because they are so individual.  Mass shootings of, say, 10, 20  or more at one time in one place on one day are the ones the politicians focus on.  They really don't care about the poor in urban neighborhoods where a few mostly young lives are lost every day.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 08:58:51 pm »
Ok.  But I do know of a few holiday weekends in Chicago where the total was in the double digits.

Actually, my point is that these numbers don't matter to all the gun grabbers because they are so individual.  Mass shootings of, say, 10, 20  or more at one time in one place on one day are the ones the politicians focus on.  They really don't care about the poor in urban neighborhoods where a few mostly young lives are lost every day.
I was going to try to compare New York's five homicides per 150 deaths (all causes, average) daily with Chicago, but I'm really tired of trying to get past the search engine crap of "assuming I am talking about homicide" even entering parameters for Chicago deaths all causes, brings back nothing but homicide figures and hits for 'gun violence'.

(So, otherwise, it must be a gloriously healthy place to live, because according to the stinking internet, no one there has heart attacks or cancer, they just get shot. )

What I am seeing is the ability of search engines to filter information and even steer searches into the panic zone. A Chicagoan looking for information would be bombarded by only responses dealing with violent death, the old "Wesa gonna dieee!" PSYOP putsch being used for everything from "Climate Change" to eating red meat to guns.

Okay, enough of that rant. In the whole State of Illinois, in 2018, 993 people died as a result of assault (homicides). A grim total, to be sure, compared to better armed and more peaceful places, but to put that in perspective, as a cause of death for all age groups, homicide came in ranked number 15. That's right, not even in the top ten.

The top 15:
Leading Causes of Death by Age Group, Illinois Residents, 2018
Rank      Cause of Death -- All Ages                  Deaths
     All causes                                                  110,012
1          Diseases of heart (heart disease)            25,747
2         Malignant neoplasms (cancer)                  23,877
3         Accidents (unintentional injuries)               6,013
4         Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke)             5,853
5         Chronic lower respiratory diseases            5,639
6         Alzheimer disease                                      4,029
7         Diabetes mellitus (diabetes)                      2,879
8         Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome
           and nephrosis (kidney disease)                 2,644
9         Influenza and pneumonia                          2,562
10       Septicemia                                                 1,790
11       Intentional self-harm (suicide)                   1,488
12       Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis             1,421
13       Parkinson disease                                     1,415
14    Essential hypertension and hypertensive
         renal disease (hypertension)                       1,234
15      Assault (homicide)                                       993

From http://www.dph.illinois.gov/sites/default/files/Leading%20causes%20by%20age%202018.pdf

Keep in mind that info is for the entire State, Septicemia (infections gone wild) ranked number 10, with nearly twice as many deaths attributed to it than homicide, and remember that guns are only one tool used by murderers.

In additional contrast, not included in the above figures, and for 2017 (most recent year available), 39,329 babies were aborted in Illinois, making abortion the leading cause of death in Illinois.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis