Author Topic: The Perils of Trading Social Interaction for Social Media  (Read 144 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
The Perils of Trading Social Interaction for Social Media
« on: August 22, 2019, 08:55:51 am »
I often say that what happens on Twitter isn't a reflection of American life in the real world.

The facts mostly back that up. Last month, a Pew survey showed only about 22% of U.S. adults say they use Twitter. Twitter users skew younger, identify more as Democrats, are more educated and have more money than the other 78% who don't use it.

Experiences back that up as well. Halfway through a 16-state back-road trip across the country, I've had many people -- both conservative and liberal -- tell me that if they use Twitter, they don't use the social media platform in the way we assume they do.

They mostly observe. And what they see often makes them not want to jump into the discussion.

They also worry about how Twitter is used as a blunt-force weapon to punish those with unpopular views, diminishing a healthy discourse to debate differences.

They are not wrong.

"So instead of informing us, social media makes us more ignorant by denying us the right to be wrong," he lamented.

If we are not exposed to contradictory ideas from which we might learn because we are afraid of either being ruined by a social media attack or so turned off by the vitriol and intolerance against opposing views, we will eventually hibernate within a tribe that looks and feels closest to us.

Read rest at link...

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/the-perils-of-trading-social-interaction-for-social-media/

My opinion below...

The other day we had a thread that presented quite a few opinions in it (red flag laws). A few sides I didn't care for, but it was a great thread. I like TBR because it gives some different views, but also because it is not so far out there (liberal opinion wise) that it leaves the domain/zone I am comfortable with. I must admit I don't like forums where wild liberals just go batzo with no moderation, but I also admit I don't like forums that make you conform to just supporting the president no matter what...  I enjoy seeing the spin within my "safe zone" for lack of a better word. So like it or not... perhaps this author opinion piece points out some flaws that I should be better prepared to acknowledge.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:58:04 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....