Author Topic: Indonesia deploys troops to West Papua region as protests spread  (Read 275 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
There is another real hotspot in the world not getting much coverage right now. I myself, am not acquainted much with it. It's Papua New Guinea, I remember about 20 years ago, Timor, East Timor I think was having problems. Anyway, the little I've seen makes it sound bad.

Indonesia deploys troops to West Papua region as protests spread

Bigger protests expected on Wednesday as demonstrators clashed with police and attacked an airport on Tuesday.
by Febriana Firdaus

An image sent by a source to Al Jazeera on Wednesday showed a coastal area in Fak Fak. West Papua on fire [Al Jazeera]

Jakarta, Indonesia - Indonesia has deployed more troops to the restive West Papua, as demonstrations continue to spread to several communities in the region, with reports of injuries and more attacks that belie earlier assurances by the government that the unrest had been contained.

President Joko Widodo's top Security Minister, Wiranto, told reporters on Tuesday that Jakarta will deploy more troops to the region to anticipate protests on Wednesday, when demonstrators are expected to hold bigger rallies.

Wiranto did not say if the government deployed military or police officers. But a video obtained by Al Jazeera showed hundreds of military and police personnel arriving in Manokwari, where the most violent of protests first took place on Monday, leaving government buildings and business establishments burned to the ground.

Read more at: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/indonesia-deploys-troops-west-papua-region-protests-spread-190820230710563.html

Off the top of my head, I may have seen something about "forced conversions" and that is "forced" upon indigenous people and their "jungle" religions, animism or whatever. Not from Christianity at this point. Anyway, a hot spot....that isn't getting much attention, maybe over there in Asia it is.

Maybe the Asian sources will have more on this. Here is CNN:
Protesters set fire to a parliament building in West Papua as demonstrations spread

By Jessie Yeung and Masrur Jamaluddin, CNN

Updated 6:27 AM ET, Mon August 19, 2019
Protesters take to the street to face off with Indonesian police in Manokwari, Papua on August 19, 2019.

Protesters take to the street to face off with Indonesian police in Manokwari, Papua on August 19, 2019.

(CNN)Thousands of protesters in the provincial capital of Indonesia's West Papua have set fire to a local government building amid widespread demonstrations sparked by alleged police discrimination against Papuan students.

The Indonesian provinces of Papua and West Papua have for decades been wracked by a long-simmering and occasionally violent separatist movement, with flare-ups common.

On Monday morning, crowds marched through Manokwari, the capital of West Papua, setting fire to the parliament building, cars, and tree tires.

Read more at: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/asia/west-papua-protests-intl-hnk/index.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:20:55 am by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Indonesia deploys troops to West Papua region as protests spread
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 04:55:23 am »
Indonesia has some wonderful surfing spots.  A friend of mine went their for surfing, and met his wfe-to-be.

They live happily together in the OC, and return to Indonesia from time-to-time, to visit her (Christian) family and for surfing.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln