Author Topic: Mexico: Violent battle playing out to save the last 22 vaquitas, the world's most endangered porpois  (Read 925 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Violent battle playing out to save the last 22 vaquitas, the world's most endangered porpoise

Final effort to save the rarest marine mammal

Mexico City -- Experts said Wednesday that at most only 22 vaquitas remain in the Gulf of California, where a grim, increasingly violent battle is playing out between emboldened fishermen and the last line of defense for the smallest and most endangered porpoise in the world.

Jorge Urban, a biology professor at the Baja California Sur University, said the 22 vaquitas were heard over a network of acoustic monitors at the end of summer. That was in fact higher than many had expected; some had estimated as little as 15 would remain in the Gulf, also known as the Sea of Cortez, the only place in the world where the vaquita marina is found.

It may be a sign the vaquita is holding on, and what is keeping it alive is a thin line of defenders: Every night 22 volunteer crew members from ships operated by the environmentalist group Sea Shepherd go out to search the upper Gulf for hidden gill nets that catch prized - but protected - totoaba fish and drown vaquitas.

Read more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vaquitas-endangered-battle-sea-of-cortez-mexico-baja-california-sea-shepherd/

This is a real story and these animals are indeed endangered, a lot of news on them.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Only 20 left?
Those numbers don't sound good...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Only 20 left?
Those numbers don't sound good...
Somewhere, someone, is figuring out how much they can get for the steaks....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Maybe they have just left for somewhere better

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I just wonder if years down the road they won't be 'rediscovered' and not actually endangered or extinct, except that some wacko will insist that though genetically identical, they aren't actually the same because they weren't inhabiting the Gulf of Mexico :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

Maybe they have just left for somewhere better

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I just wonder if years down the road they won't be 'rediscovered' and not actually endangered or extinct, except that some wacko will insist that though genetically identical, they aren't actually the same because they weren't inhabiting the Gulf of Mexico :shrug:
I think you meant the Gulf of California, but if these were in the Gulf of Mexico, they'd likely be labelled a different subspecies anyway.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

I think you meant the Gulf of California, but if these were in the Gulf of Mexico, they'd likely be labelled a different subspecies anyway.
yeah you are of course correct, I was in a hurry typing before I took my grandson to school

Offline Smokin Joe

yeah you are of course correct, I was in a hurry typing before I took my grandson to school
Hope you took him to the right one... 888mouth :silly:

We call that a 'brain fart' around here....

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

Hope you took him to the right one... 888mouth :silly:

We call that a 'brain fart' around here....
No problem getting him where he goes, it's just up the street. The problem isn't an occasional 'brain fart' it's when you have long term flatulence you have to start worrying.

Offline goodwithagun

I miss being able to have fun with this with @RoosGirl and @Frank Cannon . Without them, this forum kinda sucks.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Smokin Joe

I miss being able to have fun with this with @RoosGirl and @Frank Cannon . Without them, this forum kinda sucks.
You must have missed my remark about someone figuring out how much he could get for the steaks...

Tuna safe!

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Sorry you feel that way, @goodwithagun
Miss you!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org