Author Topic: For serious politics, U.S. needs more parties – at least two more  (Read 393 times)

Online corbe

For serious politics, U.S. needs more parties – at least two more

by Quin Hillyer

August 19, 2019 04:48 PM

The idea of serious third and fourth American political parties merits two cheers, or maybe one cheer and a few quick claps.

During a paean to now-independent congressman Justin Amash of Michigan, columnist George Will touches on, without deeply analyzing, the idea that challenges to the Republican-Democratic duopoly might be salutary for the public weal.

“Voters need not invariably settle for a sterile binary choice,” Will writes. He is not averse to “the idea of offering temperate voters a choice of something other than a choice between bossy progressivism and populist Caesarism.”

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/for-serious-politics-u-s-needs-more-parties-at-least-two-more
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Alas George Will WRITES.

But George Will does NOT DO.

Can anybody remember past last week?

Buchanan got 1/2 percent.

John Anderson, 1980 Republican alternative to Reagan, wound up as a Nader supporter in his later years.

You can't beat something, with nothing. Most of these 3rd party Kooks, are just that--and Nobody.

Amash, McMuffin, Kooks.

Ross Perot came closest as a 3rd Party alternative during my voting lifetime.

The lesson I learned from that, was to not waste my time.

I think Trump figured that out from the start.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
....because Presidential Elections are not bollixed up enough.

Would not mind seeing it for lower offices, however.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
For serious politics, U.S. needs more parties – at least two more

Nope! The U.S. needs more informed and engaged voters.  And a solid method of ensuring that only citizens vote would be nice as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Nope! The U.S. needs more informed and engaged voters.  And a solid method of ensuring that only citizens vote would be nice as well.

I think yours is a very important point, and having more Parties is not outside of that, is it?  I really don't know about the subject matter, about more Parties.  That would rely on the existing Parties withering away like the Whigs, and that's takes a reason.  That said, the present-day GOP is really racing to the Whig oblivion by not addressing the issues that get them elected.

Smartin' up the voters seems a more likely way to effect change.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Slide Rule

Nope is right.

Looking at a European choice to improve the US. Yea lets have open commies
rather than the dim party.

The thing that is right about politics is it forces a choice. But we have pus$ies
that prefer to never decide anything.

Nope!
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Alas George Will WRITES.

But George Will does NOT DO.

Can anybody remember past last week?

Buchanan got 1/2 percent.

John Anderson, 1980 Republican alternative to Reagan, wound up as a Nader supporter in his later years.

You can't beat something, with nothing. Most of these 3rd party Kooks, are just that--and Nobody.

Amash, McMuffin, Kooks.

Ross Perot came closest as a 3rd Party alternative during my voting lifetime.

The lesson I learned from that, was to not waste my time.

I think Trump figured that out from the start.
I think George Wallace had a shot, until he got shot.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think yours is a very important point, and having more Parties is not outside of that, is it?  I really don't know about the subject matter, about more Parties.  That would rely on the existing Parties withering away like the Whigs, and that's takes a reason.  That said, the present-day GOP is really racing to the Whig oblivion by not addressing the issues that get them elected.

Smartin' up the voters seems a more likely way to effect change.
If the GOP backs gun control, they'll bring about their own demise.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
UK effectively has 4 parties doesn't it?

2 corrupt parties vs. 4.  Does it really matter?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
UK effectively has 4 parties doesn't it?

2 corrupt parties vs. 4.  Does it really matter?

Good question.  We'd all like to slap the two parties leadership upside the head for not representing us, misrepresenting us and falsely representing us, but what good would having another two or three of the same? 

The problem is that the fed is too big and too powerful.  That's it.  Adding or subtracting parties won't make any difference in that.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: For serious politics, U.S. needs more parties – at least two more
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 03:10:01 pm »
Good question.  We'd all like to slap the two parties leadership upside the head for not representing us, misrepresenting us and falsely representing us, but what good would having another two or three of the same? 

The problem is that the fed is too big and too powerful.  That's it.  Adding or subtracting parties won't make any difference in that.

As long as the National Government remains all-powerful, the incentive to corrupt will always be there.  Needful, in fact, to protect what you have from competitors who have pull with the lawmakers and bureaucrats.
I will NOT comply.