Author Topic: It’s not racist to screen out migrants who’ll be a burden  (Read 534 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

It’s not racist to screen out migrants who’ll be a burden
NY Post, Aug 12, 2019, Jonathan S. Tobin

<snip>

Under the new rule, those who are in the country legally will have a more difficult time obtaining green cards or gaining citizenship if they received food stamps, housing assistance, Medicare or other public benefits.

But the outrage about this rule, which is set to go into effect in 60 days, is overblown. Even in the era of mass immigration in the 19th and early 20th centuries, those who came here had to promise not to become a “public charge” upon the United States.

That meant immigrants pledged to work and/or could look to sponsors who would guarantee their support.

The idea of restricting immigration to those who could work is an old one. The federal Immigration Act of 1882 was the first US law to specifically insist that immigrants who couldn’t take care of themselves would be excluded.

That “public-charge” principle has been part of every subsequent federal statute on the subject. The landmark 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act liberalized the system, but it nevertheless allowed for the deportation of immigrants who became public charges within five years.

Moreover, far from being a Trump innovation, the likelihood of needing government assistance is already grounds to deny an immigrant a green card or citizenship.

What is different is that this rule broadens the definition of a public charge. Instead of being defined as receiving welfare payments, it will now also include the myriad benefits available under the ever-expanding welfare state that exists in the 21st century.

Critics complain that this will discourage legal immigrants from seeking assistance that they might need. But the Trump administration wants to shift our immigration system to one based on merit, like the ones that reign in Canada and many European countries.

More:  https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/sorry-but-its-not-racist-to-screen-out-migrants-wholl-be-a-burden/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Hoodat   Here's a little more information on your wish the President would do something about immigrants and public assistance.

Offline Hoodat

It’s not racist to screen out migrants who’ll be a burden
NY Post, Aug 12, 2019, Jonathan S. Tobin

<snip>

Under the new rule, those who are in the country legally will have a more difficult time obtaining green cards or gaining citizenship if they received food stamps, housing assistance, Medicare or other public benefits.

More:  https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/sorry-but-its-not-racist-to-screen-out-migrants-wholl-be-a-burden/

This is my entire point.  People in this country who are not citizens should not be receiving a dime of public assistance.  No food stamps.  No public housing.  And especially no Medicare, Medicaid, etc.  This has got to stop.  Unfortunately, Trump has zero desire to stop it.  He is effectively training immigrants to become leeches and looters.

To repeat:  STOP GIVING FREE STUFF TO IMMIGRANTS
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

My Dad's parents immigrated, legally, to the US, complying with just such a law. And that law forbade dependence on private charity as well as any such government programs. Immigrants should be ineligible for welfare type social programs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:08:45 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Funny how it wasn't considered racist before the sixties, America did it all the time back then :shrug:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:15:39 am by GtHawk »

Offline skeeter

This is my entire point.  People in this country who are not citizens should not be receiving a dime of public assistance.  No food stamps.  No public housing.  And especially no Medicare, Medicaid, etc.  This has got to stop.  Unfortunately, Trump has zero desire to stop it.  He is effectively training immigrants to become leeches and looters.

To repeat:  STOP GIVING FREE STUFF TO IMMIGRANTS

I agree, but I think it's possible the administration thinks this path will be less likely to get hung up in the courts. Plus I can only imagine how the media would howl the first time they got ahold of some immigrant's kid who was denied their government milk and cracker.

Offline berdie

Funny how it wasn't considered racist before the sixties, America did it all the time back then:shrug:

That is very true.  I worked with a lady that immigrated legally from Mexico in the late '50's .  She said her parents had to have a sponser and agree to not accept any public assistance. The dad worked three jobs all his life. The kids all went to college and have been successful.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

That is very true.  I worked with a lady that immigrated legally from Mexico in the late '50's .  She said her parents had to have a sponser and agree to not accept any public assistance. The dad worked three jobs all his life. The kids all went to college and have been successful.
That's how it was for my parents and grandparents too.