Author Topic: The incredible shrinking MRE: New tech zaps rations into a third their normal size  (Read 473 times)

rangerrebew

The incredible shrinking MRE: New tech zaps rations into a third their normal size

The Army is developing a new ration that uses vacuum-microwave technology to shrink items. Items under development from the Close Combat Assault Ration at the Pentagon May 24, 2018 include a root vegetable bar, Korean barbeque stir-fry package, spinach quiche, cheddar cheese bar, banana and French toast.

By J.P. LAWRENCE | STARS AND STRIPES Published: August 8, 2019

Note: This article has been corrected.

Soldiers of the future may be eating bacon and egg breakfasts via tiny food bars, due to a new process that shrinks meals to a fraction of their normal size.

Think sous vide, but for tactical quiches that may end up in your next Meal, Ready to Eat.

One dish begins with bacon, egg, cheese and heavy cream. The ingredients are inserted into a vacuum microwave dryer for 80 minutes of shrinkage and then squeezed by a machine. The result: a bar that’s smaller than a Snicker’s candy bar but with twice as many calories — and much more nutrition.

https://www.stripes.com/news/the-incredible-shrinking-mre-new-tech-zaps-rations-into-a-third-their-normal-size-1.593636

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Interesting. I wonder how much water will need to go with it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis