Author Topic: Calls For “Red-Flag” Gun Confiscations Heat Up Again  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by Brandon Waltens August 5, 2019

With renewed calls for gun control in the wake of the El Paso shooting, Second Amendment advocates are on high alert.

After the tragic mass shooting in El Paso on Saturday, calls for “red-flag’ gun confiscation laws are stacking up, with at least one Texas Republican publicly supporting the measure.

U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R–TX), who is currently serving his first term in Congress, took to Twitter on Sunday to suggest that implementing state “red-flag laws,” in which guns could be confiscated without due process from those suspected to have mental health issues, may be a solution to curbing violence.

President Donald Trump echoed Crenshaw’s call Monday morning, saying, “Mental illness and hatred pulls the trigger, not the gun,” adding that he would consider “red-flag” legislation and background checks. His comments came without any vocal opposition from the National Rifle Association—which bills itself as “America’s foremost defender of Second Amendment rights.”

Meanwhile, other gun rights organizations are holding their ground.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/calls-for-red-flag-gun-confiscations-heat-up-again/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Re: Calls For “Red-Flag” Gun Confiscations Heat Up Again
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 04:20:46 pm »
“Mental illness and hatred pulls the trigger, not the gun,”

And people will vindictively make false reports of a gun owner having mental illness simply because they don't like the person or don't like guns.

It's no different that SWATTING someone.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 04:55:32 pm »
And people will vindictively make false reports of a gun owner having mental illness simply because they don't like the person or don't like guns.

I'm at a loss here.  How can anyone who holds the 2nd Amendment dear to them, be ok with red flag laws?   This opens the door for widespread abuse, further overreach by the feds and local government and rampant gun confiscation.  Conservative gun owners are in for the fight of their lives. 

If you think that ALL conservative gun owners won't be targeted, really think again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 05:05:35 pm »
I'm at a loss here.  How can anyone who holds the 2nd Amendment dear to them, be ok with red flag laws?   This opens the door for widespread abuse, further overreach by the feds and local government and rampant gun confiscation.  Conservative gun owners are in for the fight of their lives. 

If you think that ALL conservative gun owners won't be targeted, really think again.

IMHO it's because they don't truly understand them and they naively think that only bad people and the mentally ill will be reported.

Mix that in with the need to do something...anything in the wake of a crisis and you have what's going on right now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 05:12:52 pm »
IMHO it's because they don't truly understand them and they naively think that only bad people and the mentally ill will be reported.

Mix that in with the need to do something...anything in the wake of a crisis and you have what's going on right now.

This is it.  We cannot cave to fear and allow the left to use it to their advantage; we have a President that is doing exactly that.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 05:27:54 pm »
All of you supporting red-flag laws remember that the left has been trying to make conservative beliefs a mental disorder for a long time now.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 05:30:54 pm »
This is it.  We cannot cave to fear and allow the left to use it to their advantage; we have a President that is doing exactly that.

@libertybele

Saw this from Thomas Sowell today:

One of the scariest things about our times is how easy it is to scare people and start a political stampede.

That's what's happening with the Red Flag laws.

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 02:29:37 pm »
It is the same slippery slope that includes "universal" background checks for private sales.
There was an interview with the sister and girlfriend ofthe Dayton shooter. Both Said they had bad feelings about him and were worried about his mental health. Then why not report it to the police. It was the same with the Stoneman Douglas shooter. as far as I know every state has "involuntary hold laws if someone is considered suicidal.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:33:15 pm by verga »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 02:33:32 pm »
All of you supporting red-flag laws remember that the left has been trying to make conservative beliefs a mental disorder for a long time now.

All it will take is declaring Climate Change deniers are crazy and presto.

A show of hands - who thinks this won't will happen?

Hell they're already equating supporting border control with white nationalism.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:43:48 pm by skeeter »

Offline verga

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »
All it will take is declaring Climate Change deniers are crazy and presto.
With God as my witness I thought you wrote Pesto. I have to stop reading your posts right before lunch.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 03:28:27 pm »
ACLU of Rhode Island Raises Red Flags Over “Red Flag” Gun Legislation
Posted: March 02, 2018|Category: Civil Rights Due Process Fair Administration of Justice Police Practices

The ACLU of Rhode Island today issued a fourteen-page analysis that expresses “great concern” about pending state legislation that would allow family members and law enforcement officers to petition a judge to issue an “extreme risk protective order” (ERPO) against an individual who legally owns firearms but who is alleged to pose a “significant danger of causing personal injury to self or others.” This so-called “red flag” legislation follows the tragic shooting of students at a Parkland, Florida high school last month.

While recognizing the bill’s laudable goal, the ACLU’s analysis expressed concern about “the breadth of this legislation, its impact on civil liberties, and the precedent it sets for the use of coercive measures against individuals not because they are alleged to have committed any crime, but because somebody believes they might, someday, commit one.” ...   Rhode Island ACLU
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 04:01:00 pm »

Include stiff penalties and fines for false or malicious reporting. That should stop a lot of that.

I think gun owners, and I’m one of them, would want some mechanism in law, similar to protective orders legislation, to identify individuals—those who have a history of violent ideation or actions, or history of severe mental illness, but could possibly fall through the cracks in current law—who should never be allowed to own a revolver much less a semi automatic.

The very first thing I learned as a youngster, before I ever touched a gun, was safety. I think it would reflect well on gun owners to support responsible gun ownership.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:01:54 pm by aligncare »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 05:20:58 pm »
Include stiff penalties and fines for false or malicious reporting. That should stop a lot of that.

In the Army we have anonymous and protected reporting for EO violations sexual harassment etc and false reports go unpunished every.single.day.

I bring that up only to say that there are still penalties in the military for malicious reporting...but they are never implemented.

I seriously doubt if anyone would get in trouble for a false claim.  The bleeding hearts will rush in and defend the person because of how that person "felt" and if you punish people it will deter others from coming forward.  All the same reason false reports go unpunished in the military.

Like with everything in politics...feelings eventually trump reality and the rule of law.

I think gun owners, and I’m one of them, would want some mechanism in law, similar to protective orders legislation, to identify individuals—those who have a history of violent ideation or actions, or history of severe mental illness, but could possibly fall through the cracks in current law—who should never be allowed to own a revolver much less a semi automatic.

The very first thing I learned as a youngster, before I ever touched a gun, was safety. I think it would reflect well on gun owners to support responsible gun ownership.

Gun owners who have seen the federal and state governments abuse what started out as innocent "commons sense" laws know better than to fall for this ruse again. 

As I've pointed out many times over the last two days...these laws punish only the lawful law abiding gun owners in the long run.

Criminals...the insane and people consumed with jsut pure evil won't care about these laws and will find a way...whether it's with a gun or a brick WILL find a way to carry out their intentions.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:24:22 pm by txradioguy »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 05:28:48 pm »

HELL NO. OH HELL NO. That is not how it will be used.

That's mealy mouthed bullcrap, and you know it.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 07:16:58 am »
Yeah, that'll bring the people shot by police while responding to someone breaking their door down at 5Am with a gun in their hand back to life.
People with a history of violent (chargeable) actions up to and in cluding (horrors) shouting at their spouse may well already be tagged as 'violent offenders' and are already denied their gun Rights. So are those who have been involuntarily committed for mental disorders.
Red flag laws have the very real potential to take that to the he said/she said level of Facebook, Snapchat, and other nonsense which exposes any gun owner to vindictive accusations from anyone.

We learned gun safety, too. Hunting from the age of 9, deer and ducks, and ever with the knowledge that a negligent discharge would cost us that privilege for a year. There were no negligentdischarges among those of under 18, only one adult (smug pr*ck named Kissenger, whom I immediately did not like, down from DC to hunt with a family friend) had one. (Blew a 12 ga. hole through the hardtop of his new GTO, was promptly taken back to DC and never seen among us again).

I am all for responsible gun ownership, but establishing rules which irresponsibly endanger millions of gun owners and subject them to capricious harassment, and possibly lethal confrontations with LEOs which are unwarranted and unnecessary is not a responsible response to the actions of a couple of nutcases.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 02:11:19 pm »
I am all for responsible gun ownership [...]

That's just it @Smokin Joe ... We already HAVE responsible gun ownership.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 02:19:10 pm »
Baker Act negates the need for these red flag laws.

Or does the real reason the gun grabbers want red flag laws have nothing to do with mental health?  :pondering:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 02:26:13 pm »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 02:34:02 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 04:17:38 pm »
That's just it @Smokin Joe ... We already HAVE responsible gun ownership.
Precisely!
... but establishing rules which irresponsibly endanger millions of gun owners and subject them to capricious harassment, and possibly lethal confrontations with LEOs which are unwarranted and unnecessary is not a responsible response to the actions of a couple of nutcases.

In short, their 'solution' is not responsible nor workable, and they know it. It will inevitably result in intimidation, harassment, and has already resulted in death.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis