Author Topic: Trump Condemns White Supremacy but Stops Short of Major Gun Controls  (Read 523 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump Condemns White Supremacy but Stops Short of Major Gun Controls
NY Times, Aug 5, 2019

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Monday denounced white supremacy in the wake of twin mass shootings over the weekend, and citing the threat of “racist hate,” he summoned the nation to address what he called a link between the recent carnage and violent video games, mental illness and internet bigotry.

But he stopped well short of endorsing the kind of broad gun control measures that activists, Democrats and some Republicans have sought for years, such as tougher background checks for gun buyers and the banning of some weapons and accessories such as high-capacity magazines.

[...]

Mr. Trump, who will visit Dayton and El Paso on Wednesday, took no questions. He also did not repeat his call on Twitter earlier in the morning for Republicans and Democrats to work together to strengthen background checks for prospective gun buyers.

That outraged Democratic leaders in Congress, who quickly accused Mr. Trump of retreating from more substantive action on gun control under political pressure.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/us/politics/trump-speech-mass-shootings-dayton-el-paso.html

Re: Trump Condemns White Supremacy but Stops Short of Major Gun Controls
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:42:10 am »
Seems like POTUS is going to take the abuse, slings and arrows from all sides --- yet it sure appears he's doing his damnedest to protect the 2nd Amendment.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 12:53:08 am »
Just....stop....

We haven’t forgotten what he said in the past about his feelings on guns, nor did we forget his instincts, after Stoneman-Douglas.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/02/28/president-trump-asks-dianne-feinstein-add-assault-weapons-ban-school-safety-bill/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:54:09 am »
Seems like POTUS is going to take the abuse, slings and arrows from all sides --- yet it sure appears he's doing his damnedest to protect the 2nd Amendment.

IMHO, I don't think all the investigations are complete enough and I would hope people give this a couple of days to deal with this half way logically. The left wants a knee jerk reaction. 3 mass shootings in one week is the best gift they've received in a long time.  Yes these are terrible tragedies, but they will be politicized to no end.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 12:57:06 am »
Just....stop....

We haven’t forgotten what he said in the past about his feelings on guns, nor did we forget his instincts, after Stoneman-Douglas.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/02/28/president-trump-asks-dianne-feinstein-add-assault-weapons-ban-school-safety-bill/

He can make all the statements he needs to.He needs to calm the nation and I think he has done that as well as can be expected.  Congress will be "meeting" to pass legislation. It will then be up to him to sign. With 3 mass shooting in one week, God help us retain our 2nd amendment rights.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 01:01:50 am »
Just....stop....

I suggest you stop, just stop.  Because like it or not, the one man in Washington standing against the coming onslaught to grab your gun is Donald Trump.

If you were ever inclined to support him, fully and vocally, now is the time.  He's going to need it.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:05:00 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 01:03:41 am »
He can make all the statements he needs to.He needs to calm the nation and I think he has done that as well as can be expected.  Congress will be "meeting" to pass legislation. It will then be up to him to sign. With 3 mass shooting in one week, God help us retain our 2nd amendment rights.

I hope we'll help him right along with God.

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 01:06:09 am »

He’s a malleable fool that will say anything, to anyone, at any time. That’s been proven, time and time again. Silence about an issue isn’t defense of an issue. You better hope the last person he talks to regarding 2A, before making a decision, is for it.

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 01:10:34 am »
I suggest you stop, just stop.  Because like it or not, the one man in Washington standing against the coming onslaught to grab your gun is Donald Trump.

If you were ever inclined to support him, fully and vocally, now is the time.  He's going to need it.

FFS - read the damn story above when he tells Feinstein to include her bill, in the Stoneman aftermath. Read this link where he’s been as schizophrenic on the issue as the people who shouldn’t have access to weapons.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,371044.0.html

This political windsock is not the savior you think he is.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 01:14:15 am »

He’s a malleable fool that will say anything, to anyone, at any time.

Okay ... then you've surrendered ... and you will lose.  Just, please, stop whining about it.

Here, hopefully this will help you through it:  https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 01:16:57 am »
I hope we'll help him right along with God.

Yes, prayers up for our nation, the victims, families and our President. :0001:

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 01:25:25 am »
Okay ... then you've surrendered ... and you will lose.  Just, please, stop whining about it.

Here, hopefully this will help you through it:  https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/

You’re going to need that much more than I will, when he inevitably disappoints and effs you over, like he’s does done to everyone, throughout his business and life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 01:54:27 am »
Has anyone read the manifesto.  The guy is lunatic environmentalist.  It looks like a rant about Hispanics and then it turns into a rant about sustaining the environment by shooting people.

https://thecount.com/2019/08/03/patrick-crusius-manifesto-full-transcript/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.