Author Topic: Trump border fight throws curveball into shutdown prospects  (Read 219 times)

Online corbe

Trump border fight throws curveball into shutdown prospects
« on: August 02, 2019, 03:02:53 pm »
Trump border fight throws curveball into shutdown prospects

By Jordain Carney - 08/02/19 05:48 AM EDT

Lawmakers are bracing for a fierce fight over President Trump’s border wall as they work to prevent a shutdown showdown but with no plan on how to avoid it.

Government funding for Trump’s wall and agencies like Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has become a landmine in spending bill negotiations, with talks late last year leading to a 35-day partial closure that marked the longest shutdown in U.S. history.

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), who chairs the Department of Homeland Security appropriations subcommittee, put her hand to her chin as though she were deep in thought when asked if there was a plan to avoid another battle over the wall and immigration-related issues.

“Hmm, that’s a good question. I think it’s going to be a problem,” she said. “The wall and ICE beds are always a point of contention but, you know, it’s a high priority for many of us and so we’ll just have to power through it.”

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is one of the 12 individual appropriations bills that need to pass Congress and be signed into law by Oct. 1, or be extended by way of a continuing resolution to buy lawmakers more time.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/455863-trump-border-fight-throws-curveball-into-shutdown-prospects
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Trump border fight throws curveball into shutdown prospects
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 03:06:15 pm »
I really hope Trump takes this to shutdown so as to force the Dem presidential candidates to take a clear, public position on funding for border security, etc..