Author Topic: California governor signs bill requiring Trump release his tax returns to appear on ballot  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/455346-california-governor-signs-bill-requiring-trump-release-his-tax-returns

California governor signs bill requiring Trump release his tax returns to appear on ballot
The Hill ^ | July 30, 2019 | Chris Mills Rodrigo

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Tuesday signed a bill requiring President Trump to release his tax returns before he can appear on the state's 2020 primary ballot.

Under S.B. 27, called the "Presidential Tax Transparency and Accountability Act," any candidate running for president or governor of California will be required to file copies of the last five years of their tax returns to the California secretary of State.

"As one of the largest economies in the world and home to one in nine Americans eligible to vote, California has a special responsibility to require this information of presidential and gubernatorial candidates," Newsom said in a statement.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Bill of Attainder"?
And... as such... unconstitutional ?

Offline PeteS in CA

I see my (and others') tax $$ is about to be spent defending a losing case ... lost in plenty of time for Trump's name to appear on Primary ballots.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
They should declare all of California's EC votes null and void.  Eff them. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Yup.  And then sell the damn state to the lowest bidder and extend the wall.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The legality of this is highly questionable. If California can require tax returns, then what else can they demand before the election? Seriously. Could they write another bill demanding that Trump admit he colluded with Russia and obstructed justice before he can be on the ballot? What I mean is, this would amount to a sort of legal extortion. Tax returns may be first, but who can say what else they may demand after that? Unless Trump agrees to appear naked on Meet the Press he cannot be on the ballot!

Not only that, but a bill pertaining only to Trump is crazy. If it was serious, it would demand tax returns from all candidates in California, State and Federal. They cannot create a Law specifically and only for Trump and no one else. That is insanity.

I am certain that Trump and his team do not take California seriously anyway. They are the most corrupt State in the Union when it comes to voting. Whether his name is on the ballot or not will make no difference at all.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Beat me to it.  I was thinking the same thing.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Bill Cipher

"Bill of Attainder"?
And... as such... unconstitutional ?

It’s not a bill of attainder.

Bill Cipher

The legality of this is highly questionable. If California can require tax returns, then what else can they demand before the election? Seriously. Could they write another bill demanding that Trump admit he colluded with Russia and obstructed justice before he can be on the ballot? What I mean is, this would amount to a sort of legal extortion. Tax returns may be first, but who can say what else they may demand after that? Unless Trump agrees to appear naked on Meet the Press he cannot be on the ballot!

Not only that, but a bill pertaining only to Trump is crazy. If it was serious, it would demand tax returns from all candidates in California, State and Federal. They cannot create a Law specifically and only for Trump and no one else. That is insanity.

I am certain that Trump and his team do not take California seriously anyway. They are the most corrupt State in the Union when it comes to voting. Whether his name is on the ballot or not will make no difference at all.

The bill doesn’t pertain only to Trump. 

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The bill doesn’t pertain only to Trump.

This is what I read:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Tuesday signed a bill requiring President Trump to release his tax returns before he can appear on the state's 2020 primary ballot.

But apparently it applies to both sides.

Good. That should scare the hell out of the Democrats. Could anyone imagine Hillary releasing her tax returns? That would never happen.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:48:16 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

@240B New York Just passed the same kind of bill specifically targeting Trump's state tax returns.

That's how desperate the Dems are to negate the 2016 election or make sure Trump doesn't win in 2020.

While everyone has been focused on the collusion and obstruction "investigations" (more like show trials)...the Dems have been working on a second investigation semi-under the radar based on the Emoluments clause.

That's why they want to see his tax returns in NY State and why California just passed this bill.  They're helping...or think they're helping Dems in DC build a case against Trump to prove he's been making a profit from his businesses while in office.  They think that if the Emir of Kuwait stays in a Trump hotel while in DC or New York or wherever...it's a payment directly to Trump from a foreign government.

Stupid I know...but it's one of those "gotcha's" that Dems think they can get him on.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I don't see how it is possible for an entire State to pass a bill targeting a single individual citizen. But what do I know? I'm no lawyer.

Offline dfwgator

Make California Mexico Again

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I don't see how it is possible for an entire State to pass a bill targeting a single individual citizen. But what do I know? I'm no lawyer.

It's New York...Dems are in control of both Houses much the same way California is ruled by the Progs.

Like you said earlier about Cali...if New York State wanted to pass a law that said "Unless Trump agrees to appear naked on Meet the Press he cannot be on the ballot!" Cuomo would sign it the minute it hit his desk.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Beat me to it.  I was thinking the same thing.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
:beer:

Quite frankly that same kind of punishment should apply to any state signed onto the NPV bullsh*t as well.

Online berdie

Make California Mexico Again

That looks to be the way it is going.

But what are they worried about with this new edict?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

That looks to be the way it is going.

But what are they worried about with this new edict?

Their hatred for Trump runs so deep that they don't even want his name appearing on a ballot for a national election.

That's what this edict is about. 

Offline Victoria33

It's New York...Dems are in control of both Houses much the same way California is ruled by the Progs.

Like you said earlier about Cali...if New York State wanted to pass a law that said "Unless Trump agrees to appear naked on Meet the Press he cannot be on the ballot!" Cuomo would sign it the minute it hit his desk.
@txradioguy

Each state can make rules to qualify someone as a candidate.  Usually, it is something like requiring the candidate to gather so many voter signatures on a document.

Since I haven't seen the printed rule, it would be strange to put just Trump's name on there, but if it required all candidates to do that, it would tend to be more acceptable. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy

Each state can make rules to qualify someone as a candidate.  Usually, it is something like requiring the candidate to gather so many voter signatures on a document.

Since I haven't seen the printed rule, it would be strange to put just Trump's name on there, but if it required all candidates to do that, it would tend to be more acceptable.

@Victoria33

@Bill Cipher said correctly that the California bill is for all candidates.

NY State went after Trump and only Trump by name.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/nyregion/trump-ny-taxes-cuomo.html

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33 @Bill Cipher said correctly that the California bill is for all candidates. NY State went after Trump and only Trump by name.
@txradioguy

I went to the New York Times to read about Trump and state income tax and the Times cut me off because I had used all my "free" articles.  However, they had a choice to join without money, so I did that.  Naturally, they wanted me to pay money for a better experience, likely with no ads, but all I need is to read and now I can do that.

That article said congressional committees are afraid to get the state ones as that might keep them from getting the Federal ones.

I'm sure Trump's lawyers will keep fighting to keep them secret.

Offline PeteS in CA

The CA bill does not name Trump, and applies to all potential candidates. But history makes plain that Trump is the target. However, the US Constitution defined the qualifications for being President. This bill effectively creates a new qualification, which a state lacks the authority to do. And once a state starts down the road of creating its own "qualifications" for a national office ...

ETA: The 4th Amendment defines the conditions and process for government operatives to gain access to a person's property, private information, and person. Asserting that right to privacy is not evidence that one is covering up anything. Unless and until constitutional conditions are met and followed, a citizen has the right to tell a government operative, "It's none of your damn business."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:54:43 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online libertybele

Yup.  And then sell the damn state to the lowest bidder and extend the wall.

:amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!