Author Topic: Kamala Harris introduces new healthcare plan that would keep private insurers in the game  (Read 700 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Kamala Harris introduces new healthcare plan that would keep private insurers in the game
Washington Examiner, Jul 29, 2019, Kimberly Leonard

Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris introduced a healthcare proposal Monday that would allow private health insurers to continue doing business, even as it would enroll most people living in the U.S. in a government plan.

Harris had previously gone back and forth about whether private insurance should be allowed. In the Senate, she is a cosponsor of the Medicare for All Act, introduced by Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, which would ban private plans. Monday's proposal comes just ahead of the next round Democratic debates, set for Tuesday and Wednesday in Detroit.

The largest provision for private health insurance coverage in Harris' new plan is not through the "supplemental" proposal she had alluded to before. Instead, it would allow people to choose Medicare Advantage plans rather than traditional Medicare, which too would undergo changes in how it operates and would be allowed to cover more services.

"Essentially, we would allow private insurance to offer a plan in the Medicare system, but they will be subject to strict requirements to ensure it lowers costs and expands services," Harris wrote in a blog post. "If they want to play by our rules, they can be in the system. If not, they have to get out."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/kamala-harris-introduces-new-healthcare-plan-that-would-keep-private-health-insurers-in-the-game

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trying hard to turn crap into whipped cream. 

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Same old scam - force insurers to bloat their plans with services nobody wants to price them out of the so-called "market".

0bamacare began the process of gutting Medicare Advantage plans but they're still the best choice for many. Further reducing the reimbursement rates will knock them out of the game just as effectively as banning them outright.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online libertybele

Trying hard to turn crap into whipped cream.

Allowing private insurance into Medicare? Gee thanks Harris! As it stands now, Medicare doesn't pay for everything, and most have some other private insurance.  So in other words her solutions is to skyrocket the cost of private insurance in order to pay for the Medicare for all!!!      9999hair out0000

I want to maintain my private insurance period.  Since we've entered retirement and my husband is on Medicare, consequently our private insurance has risen for the past two years!  He worked for the same company for 26 years and only once during that period did our premiums rise.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rustynail

Medicare is a punishment.

Offline LMAO

I get a laugh out of these people who never worked in the healthcare field, have no idea how Medicare or health insurance really works, but somehow think winning an election means they can plan all this for us
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:47:02 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I get a laugh out of these people who never worked in the healthcare field, have no idea how Medicare or health insurance really works, but somehow think winning an election means they can plan all this for us

I'd laugh too if their stupidity wasn't so damaging to the citizen's health and pocketbook.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online libertybele

She's going to allow people to choose Medicare Advantage plans ... what she isn't alluding to is how Medicare for all is going to be funded?  Taxes and insurance companies having to raise premiums, and you can bet that the cost of Medicare Advantage plans will also rise. Who is she trying to buffalo?  Which brings question to what about the doctors who no longer see their patients once they go on Medicare?  Will they be forced to now honor Medicare?  What about those who were forced already to be on Medicare, why should their premiums rise?  Bottom line is cost.  Yes, there are people who absolutely believe that there will be no cost.  Those who have relied on the 'system' since they've been born will see no cost, but the rest of us will pay dearly.

Medicare fees are taken out of everyone's paycheck.  FREE Medicare to everyone is going to only raise those fees.  Granting Medicare to those who have never worked and paid into the system or are here ILLEGALLY is absolutely absurd!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

It might be good for a laugh if it wasn't so terrifying.
---

Offline berdie

Well...I may be forgetting something, but when I was researching supplemental plans last year I was told Medicare Advantage plans were being closed to new insured.  Has that changed?

Plus the fact that some of those plans have premiums PLUS co-pays  Some just have co-pays. I have a friend that is on MA and doesn't understand why I didn't join. I guess as long as I'm relatively healthy, like her, that would work.  But what if I get really sick?  Seems to me like the co-pays could kill ya if the sickness didn't. :shrug:

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Well...I may be forgetting something, but when I was researching supplemental plans last year I was told Medicare Advantage plans were being closed to new insured.  Has that changed?

Plus the fact that some of those plans have premiums PLUS co-pays  Some just have co-pays. I have a friend that is on MA and doesn't understand why I didn't join. I guess as long as I'm relatively healthy, like her, that would work.  But what if I get really sick?  Seems to me like the co-pays could kill ya if the sickness didn't. :shrug:

You can change plans every year, or go back to regular Medicare if that makes sense. I think the plans depend on your location - in areas with healthy competition many plans have zero premiums, no copay for most generics, maybe a $5-10 office visit copay. Of course if you use a lot of out-of-network providers it's a different story. People who travel a lot might be better off with regular Medicare.

Regular Medicare is only 80-20 so if you don't want copays you have to buy supplemental AND a drug plan, both of which will have premiums.

0bamacare took $.5T from MA providers, forcing them to raise premiums and/or copays, or cut coverage. But I've never heard of any restrictions on eligibility - I doubt if that would even be legal.
---

Offline berdie

You can change plans every year, or go back to regular Medicare if that makes sense. I think the plans depend on your location - in areas with healthy competition many plans have zero premiums, no copay for most generics, maybe a $5-10 office visit copay. Of course if you use a lot of out-of-network providers it's a different story. People who travel a lot might be better off with regular Medicare.

Regular Medicare is only 80-20 so if you don't want copays you have to buy supplemental AND a drug plan, both of which will have premiums.

0bamacare took $.5T from MA providers, forcing them to raise premiums and/or copays, or cut coverage. But I've never heard of any restrictions on eligibility - I doubt if that would even be legal.

I appreciate all of the information in your post @Snarknado .  You may have more current information than I.  But from what I can tell today and in prior searches... both Plan C (Med Advantage) and Plan F are not open or being sold to new enrollees in 2020.  If you are already in these plans you will be grandfathered. But if you stay, the premiums/co-pays will raise due to the lack of new entrants. Then you are subject to underwriting from the new plan you can access every year.

That really wasn't the point of my post, though. I am wondering why these politicians are pushing Medicare Advantage when it is a closed fund in 2020? And even more importantly, why are they making it sound like it is free....it isn't.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

I appreciate all of the information in your post @Snarknado .  You may have more current information than I.  But from what I can tell today and in prior searches... both Plan C (Med Advantage) and Plan F are not open or being sold to new enrollees in 2020.  If you are already in these plans you will be grandfathered. But if you stay, the premiums/co-pays will raise due to the lack of new entrants. Then you are subject to underwriting from the new plan you can access every year.

That really wasn't the point of my post, though. I am wondering why these politicians are pushing Medicare Advantage when it is a closed fund in 2020? And even more importantly, why are they making it sound like it is free....it isn't.

Do you have a link? I can't find anything indicating any new enrollment restrictions in 2020. And what do you consider "free"? No plan will ever give you unlimited care for free. And of course you still pay for it through Part B premiums. But for many there are MA plans that are about as close to free as you can get. Plans may also offer extras such as $15/month in OTC products and free Silver Sneaker membership - for me that would easily offset an occasional $5 PCP visit copay.

One new rule I did run across will force medicare supplemental plans to impose Part B deductibles (no more zero out-of-pocket coverage), to cut down on frivolous use of resources. That seems reasonable to me, and in theory should be reflected in lower premiums.
---

Offline berdie

https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/medigap-changes-for-2020-no-new-plans-c-and-f

I really don't know if this will post.  I'm not real tech savvy.  happy77

There are other links that wouldn't post.  I went to a seminar on this...it's what I base it on.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/medigap-changes-for-2020-no-new-plans-c-and-f

I really don't know if this will post.  I'm not real tech savvy.  happy77

There are other links that wouldn't post.  I went to a seminar on this...it's what I base it on.

It's a bit hazy but I think that link refers to medigap, not MA. New enrollees can't buy plans that cover the Part B deductible, aguably a sensible change. Medigap plans have never been premium-free like some MA plans...
---