Author Topic: It's No Longer about Equality  (Read 5958 times)

Offline fayec

Re: It's No Longer about Equality
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2019, 08:26:12 pm »

What the hell are you talking about?  My family would not be American if they've interbred with other humans?  Hopefully, I'm completely misunderstanding what you are saying.

Obviously I'm the one who misunderstood you when you said,

"I don't know about you, but my family hasn't been "European" for hundreds of years."

I took it you meant that your White European ancestors had all mixed and intermarried with non-Whites.  Sorry about that.  Would you care to explain what you meant?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:10:37 pm by fayec »

Bill Cipher

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2019, 09:16:11 pm »

"I don't know about you, but my family hasn't been "European" for hundreds of years."

I took it you meant that your White European ancestors had all mixed and intermarried with non-Whites.  Sorry about that.  Would you care to explain what you meant?

Oh goodie.  Antimiscegenation. 

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2019, 09:21:41 pm »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:22:42 pm by EdJames »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2019, 09:43:36 pm »
There is no point in whining about things that happened to other people long dead.  That wasn't the point.  Likewise the attempt to excuse slavery by saying that their ancestors are better off than they might have been is not a good argument.  Slavery is/was bad.  Americans live better lives than their ancestors did by and large.

You are doing a magnificent job on this thread, @Sanguine , defending a very basic moral truth.....

Slavery was/is horrible through and through.

Any effort to make it less evil because the descendants of slaves are “better off” than their African counterparts is disturbing, at the very least.

And this cryptic Daniel prophecy stuff is kinda bizarre.  *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2019, 09:47:18 pm »

It’s pretty straightforward. 

Her family came to America hundreds of years ago, ergo were no longer European.  :shrug:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2019, 09:52:01 pm »

Oh goodie.  Antimiscegenation.

My thoughts exactly.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2019, 09:58:33 pm »
You are doing a magnificent job on this thread, @Sanguine , defending a very basic moral truth.....

Slavery was/is horrible through and through.

Any effort to make it less evil because the descendants of slaves are “better off” than their African counterparts is disturbing, at the very least.

And this cryptic Daniel prophecy stuff is kinda bizarre.  *****rollingeyes*****

Thanks, @musiclady.  Hard to believe we should ever even have to argue this point.   

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2019, 10:35:40 pm »
Thanks, @musiclady.  Hard to believe we should ever even have to argue this point.
Again, for the umpteenth time, nobody is arguing that slavery isn't evil. What we are trying to say is that whatever bad things happened to people's ancestors, if the descendants of the ancestors are living good lives, it's pointless to complain about bad things happening to their ancestors.
I'm sure you've heard the phrase "you can't change the past." However, with the right attitude you can make your life better.
If your long ago ancestors had horrible lives because some people did evil things to them, would you dwell on that or get on with your life? Because the history of the world is people doing horrible things to other people.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2019, 10:49:43 pm »

I know, I know.........   **nononono*

But you have defended the truth well, even though it disgusts me that it had to be done.

So, thank you!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2019, 10:51:05 pm »
Again, for the umpteenth time, nobody is arguing that slavery isn't evil. What we are trying to say is that whatever bad things happened to people's ancestors, if the descendants of the ancestors are living good lives, it's pointless to complain about bad things happening to their ancestors.
I'm sure you've heard the phrase "you can't change the past." However, with the right attitude you can make your life better.
If your long ago ancestors had horrible lives because some people did evil things to them, would you dwell on that or get on with your life? Because the history of the world is people doing horrible things to other people.

I'm not so sure of that.

Offline fayec

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2019, 11:36:18 pm »
It’s pretty straightforward. 

Her family came to America hundreds of years ago, ergo were no longer European.  :shrug:

One doesn't have to reside in Europe in order to be of European descent!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2019, 12:18:11 am »

@musiclady  @Sanguine

No kidding. I can see it being used as a "look at how far we have came as a society" reference point,but other than that it is meaningless since the typical prison inmate of today lives better than pretty much everyone but royalty in the 1800's.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2019, 12:23:07 am »
@musiclady  @Sanguine

No kidding. I can see it being used as a "look at how far we have came as a society" reference point,but other than that it is meaningless since the typical prison inmate of today lives better than pretty much everyone but royalty in the 1800's.

Okay.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:30:32 am by Sanguine »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2019, 12:26:46 am »

I agree. It is all about context. Truth to tell it wasn't that long ago that people used to brag about "how far we have came since our family moved to America."

One benefit alone was so enormous back then it was practically unheard of in "the olde countries",and that was coming here dirt poor and being able to work your way into owning land you could farm or run a business on. No more having to pay a "lord" for permission to use his land to earn a living.

I am sure if you mentioned this to most people of today,they would say "huh?". They accept it as truth without ever even having thought about what it meant/means.

And what it REALLY means is "freedom". Everything flows from there. You can never accomplish anything unless you have the freedom and give it a try.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!