Author Topic: Supreme Court rules for Trump in border wall funding dispute  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Supreme Court rules for Trump in border wall funding dispute
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2019, 12:19:27 am »
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/19a60_o75p.pdf

Cite as:  588 U. S. ____ (2019) Opinion of BREYER, J. SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES No. 19A60 DONALD J. TRUMP, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, ET AL. v. SIERRA CLUB, ET AL. ON APPLICATION FOR STAY [July 26, 2019] The application for stay presented to JUSTICE KAGAN and by her referred to the Court is granted. Among the reasons is  that  the  Government  has  made  a  sufficient  showing  at  this stage that the plaintiffs have no cause of action to ob-tain review of the Acting Secretary’s compliance with Sec-tion 8005.

The District Court’s June 28, 2019 order granting a permanent injunction is stayed pending disposition of the Government’s appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for  the  Ninth  Circuit  and  disposition  of  the  Government’spetition for a writ of certiorari, if such writ is timely sought.

Should  the  petition  for  a  writ  of  certiorari  be  denied,  this  stay shall terminate automatically.

In the event the peti-tion for a writ of certiorari is granted, the stay shall termi-nate when the Court enters its judgment.

JUSTICE GINSBURG,  JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR,  and  JUSTICE KAGAN would deny the application.

JUSTICE BREYER,  concurring  in  part  and  dissenting  inpart from grant of stay.

To warrant this stay, the Government must show not just(1)a reasonable probability that the Court will grant certi-orari and (2) a fair prospect that the Court will reverse, butalso (3) “‘a likelihood that irreparable harm will result from the  denial  of  a  stay.’”    Maryland  v.  King,  567  U.  S.  1301,  1302 (2012) (ROBERTS, C. J., in chambers).

This case raises novel and important questions about the ability of private parties to enforce Congress’ appropriations power.

I would express no other view now on the merits of those questions. Before granting a stay, however, we must still assess the competing claims of harm and balance the equities.  Barnes v. E-Systems, Inc. Group Hospital Medical & Surgical Ins. Plan, 501 U. S. 1301, 1305 (1991) (Scalia, J., in chambers).

This Court may, and sometimes does, “tailor a stay so thatit operates with respect to only ‘some portion of the proceed-ing.’”    Trump  v.  International  Refugee  Assistance  Project, 582 U. S. ___, ___ (2017) (per curiam) (slip op., at 10) (quot-ing Nken v. Holder, 556 U. S. 418, 428 (2009)).

In my view,this is an appropriate case to do so. If we grant the stay, the Government may begin construc-tion of a border barrier that would cause irreparable harmto  the  environment  and  to  respondents,  according  to  bothrespondents and the District Court.

The Government’s onlyresponse  to  this  claim  of  irreparable  harm  is  that,  if  re-spondents  ultimately  prevail,  the  border  barrier  may  betaken down (with what funding, the Government does not say).  But this is little comfort because it is not just the bar-rier,  but  the  construction  itself  (and  presumably  its  later  destruction) that contributes to respondents’ injury.

If  we  instead  deny  the  stay,  however,  it  is  the  Govern-ment  that  may  be  irreparably  harmed.

The  Government  has represented that, if it is unable to finalize the contracts by September 30, then the funds at issue will be returned to  the  Treasury  and  the  injunction  will  have  operated,  ineffect,  as  a  final  judgment.

Respondents  suggest  a  court  could still award the Government relief after an appropria-tion lapses, though that proposition has yet to be endorsed by this Court.But there is a straightforward way to avoid harm to both the Government and respondents while allowing the litiga-tion  to  proceed.

Allowing  the  Government  to  finalize  thecontracts at issue, but not to begin construction, would al-leviate the most pressing harm claimed by the Government  without risking irreparable harm to respondents.

Respond-ents do not suggest that they will be harmed by finalization of  the  contracts  alone,  and  there  is  reason  to  believe  theywould not be.

See, e.g., 36 Opinion of Office of Legal Coun-sel  11  (2012)  (noting  that,  because  of  the  Anti-Deficiency  Act,  “the  government  [is]  legally  incapable  of  incurring  a  contractual  obligation  to  pay  more  money  than  Congress  had  appropriated”),  online  at  https://www.justice.gov/file/20596/download (as last visited July 26, 2019); see also Lei-ter v. United States, 271 U. S. 204, 206–207 (1926); Sutton v. United  States,  256  U.  S.  575,  580–581  (1921);  Hooe  v.  United States,  218  U.  S.  322,  332–334  (1910);  Bradley  v.  United States, 98 U. S. 104, 116–117 (1878).

I can therefore find no justification for granting the stay in  full,  as  the  majority  does.

I  would  grant  the  Govern-ment’s application to stay the injunction only to the extentthat the injunction prevents the Government from finaliz-ing  the  contracts  or  taking  other  preparatory  administra-tive action, but leave it in place insofar as it precludes theGovernment from disbursing those funds or beginning con-struction.

I  accordingly  would  grant  the  stay  in  part  and  deny it in part.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 12:29:39 am »
It's FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!  Let's have a congratulatory party.

@Victoria33
@Chosen Daughter
@roamer_1
@Applewood
@Bill Cipher
@Night Hides Not
@txradioguy
@Rivergirl

Did I forget anyone??      happy77
@DCPatriot

UH, Yeah! 22222frying pan
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 12:35:36 am »
As for Judges and their so-called godly powers to rule over everyone .. I vote NO!

The power of constitutional interpretation is a divided, shared power!
(As seen in the pictures below)

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline bilo

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2019, 12:39:33 am »
The Supreme Court on Friday handed President Trump a major victory by clearing the way for him to divert $2.5 billion from the military’s budget and use it to build an extra 100 miles of border wall in California, Arizona and New Mexico.

I'm assuming that this also means in the future any other money in the Military budget meeting the same criteria can be used.

Now Trump has to light a fire under the Army Corp of Engineers and anyone else involved in building the wall to get it done.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2019, 12:50:11 am »
As for Judges and their so-called godly powers to rule over everyone .. I vote NO!

The power of constitutional interpretation is a divided, shared power!
(As seen in the pictures below)

:yowsa:   pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2019, 01:17:55 am »
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/26/high-court-allows-use-of-pentagon-funds-for-border-wall/

The case before the Supreme Court involved just the $2.5 billion in Defense Department funds, which the administration says will be used to construct more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) of fencing. One project would replace 46 miles (74 kilometers) of barrier in New Mexico for $789 million. Another would replace 63 miles (101 kilometers) in Arizona for $646 million. The other two projects in California and Arizona are smaller.

Offline bilo

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2019, 01:32:47 am »
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/26/high-court-allows-use-of-pentagon-funds-for-border-wall/

The case before the Supreme Court involved just the $2.5 billion in Defense Department funds, which the administration says will be used to construct more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) of fencing. One project would replace 46 miles (74 kilometers) of barrier in New Mexico for $789 million. Another would replace 63 miles (101 kilometers) in Arizona for $646 million. The other two projects in California and Arizona are smaller.

I would think though that if the SCOTUS ruled Trump can use these monies any other monies meeting the same criteria could be used.

The Rats have nobody to blame but themselves. Trump has been clear from the beginning that he would compromise if they wanted to negotiate. Instead they wouldn't budge off open borders and amnesty for all. Now the wall is being built. Guatemala has signed on to a "safe third country agreement". Mexico is holding asylum seekers until their hearings and is getting tougher on their southern border.

Step by step Trump is getting things done with no help from Congress. 
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2019, 01:53:13 am »
Order it stopped for a different reason not covered by the SCOTUS decision.

That's certainly possible, but if some lower court does that, SCOTUS is likely to intervene very quickly to prevent the judicial system from being gamed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:54:14 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2019, 02:13:10 am »
That's certainly possible, but if some lower court does that, SCOTUS is likely to intervene very quickly to prevent the judicial system from being gamed.

I'm not so sure about that.  From what Elderberry posted above, it looks like what SCOTUS ruled was that the plaintiffs trying to stop him didn't have standing to get a court to do so.  That's a long way from even deciding that no plaintiffs would have standing, let alone that they or others can't get it stopped for other reasons.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2019, 02:16:38 am »
I would think though that if the SCOTUS ruled Trump can use these monies any other monies meeting the same criteria could be used.

The Rats have nobody to blame but themselves. Trump has been clear from the beginning that he would compromise if they wanted to negotiate. Instead they wouldn't budge off open borders and amnesty for all. Now the wall is being built. Guatemala has signed on to a "safe third country agreement". Mexico is holding asylum seekers until their hearings and is getting tougher on their southern border.

Step by step Trump is getting things done with no help from Congress.

That ("Trump can use these monies any other monies meeting the same criteria could be used") is probably a stretch, IMO.  SCOTUS didn't rule that he could use these monies, they ruled that one specific group wasn't allowed to stop him in this situation.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2019, 03:19:50 am »
Even Roberts voted the right way!   :patriot:

I'm surprised he didn't question the motivations of the Prez.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2019, 03:55:14 am »

@Victoria33
@Chosen Daughter
@roamer_1
@Applewood
@Bill Cipher
@Night Hides Not
@txradioguy
@Rivergirl

This is good, but I would have been more excited had Trump not given liberal border government the option to opt out of the wall.  Makes it a swiss cheese wall. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2019, 04:40:46 am »

@Victoria33
@Chosen Daughter
@roamer_1
@Applewood
@Bill Cipher
@Night Hides Not
@txradioguy
@Rivergirl

@DCPatriot

MEH. It's never over till the fat lady sings.

The next episode starts on Monday...
Be sure to tune in and catch all the new drama...

As for me,

fishing8888

I will wait for the end game. All the phony victory laps have left me jaded.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2019, 11:06:15 am »

This is good, but I would have been more excited had Trump not given liberal border government the option to opt out of the wall.  Makes it a swiss cheese wall.

I hear you on that and it did come to mind.  However the DEMS and lower courts who have done everything to stop the President from protecting this country for political reasons are put in their place.  I think that this is a significant ruling. Yes $2.5 billion isn't much and from what I've read will replace and/or repair existing fencing in part of AZ and TX where it is badly needed and an additional 78 miles of fencing -- not much really.  I am hoping more money will some how now become available and more border will be erected. This is a win for the President.

Perhaps we will see environmentalists and other groups trying to halt the construction and lawsuits, but the SCOTUS has ruled in favor of Trump and border security.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2019, 11:12:01 am »
:yowsa:   pointing-up

The lower courts judges should have never ruled against the POTUS trying to protect this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2019, 11:51:06 am »
@DCPatriot

UH, Yeah! 22222frying pan

@mrclose

LOL!   I thought you fully support President Trump.    :shrug:      My bad....will surely keep an eye on you going forward.    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bill Cipher

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2019, 11:53:36 am »
The lower courts judges should have never ruled against the POTUS trying to protect this country.

So Trump has free reign to act as a dictator if he just says it’s to “protect” the country?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2019, 12:03:18 pm »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, but 5-4 is scary it should have been a 9-0 decision. Dido citizen question on census.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2019, 12:08:12 pm »
Yes, but 5-4 is scary it should have been a 9-0 decision. Dido citizen question on census.

I agree .... but we've been living with 5-4 for a LONG time.  I'm just glad this one went in our favor.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2019, 12:09:59 pm »
So Trump has free reign to act as a dictator if he just says it’s to “protect” the country?

And you believe that a mass invasion of MILLIONS of unskilled, poor people isn't a THREAT to the economic security of the country?   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2019, 12:10:16 pm »

Problem is in these cases the lower courts are acting as an oligarchy, motivated solely by politics, not the Constitution.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2019, 12:11:08 pm »
@DCPatriot

MEH. It's never over till the fat lady sings.

The next episode starts on Monday...
Be sure to tune in and catch all the new drama...

As for me,

fishing8888

I will wait for the end game. All the phony victory laps have left me jaded.

@roamer_1

Grumpy old bastard right up until the end, right?     :laugh: 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2019, 12:12:45 pm »
And you believe that a mass invasion of MILLIONS of unskilled, poor people isn't a THREAT to the economic security of the country?   :shrug:

If you’re going to jump into the middle of a discussion, then answer the question asked.  Can Trump do anything he wants, utterly free of review by any court ever, if he simply says that what he does is to “protect” the country. 

It’s a simple yes/no answer.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2019, 12:13:35 pm »

Allowing border states to "opt out of the wall" is what a POTUS should do.

As another of your 'Gang' has said...he's a President, not a 'King'.      happy77

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2019, 12:16:54 pm »
If you’re going to jump into the middle of a discussion, then answer the question asked.  Can Trump do anything he wants, utterly free of review by any court ever, if he simply says that what he does is to “protect” the country. 

It’s a simple yes/no answer.

In a word, "YES"!

IMO, the Supreme Court has made it's vote 5-4.   End of discussion.

Makes it easy now to add to the dollar limits allocated.