Author Topic: Biden concedes that under Obama 'a lot of people were left behind'  (Read 262 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Biden concedes that under Obama 'a lot of people were left behind'
Washington Examiner, Jul 24, 2019

Joe Biden said the White House under President Barack Obama, when Biden was vice president, did not do enough to address the concerns of white working-class voters in the Rust Belt.

"A lot of people were left behind," the 2020 Democratic candidate told the New York Times when discussing the post-recession economic recovery. "In areas where people were hard hit, I don't think we paid enough attention to their plight."

Biden, 76, tried chalking up the disillusionment of white former Democratic voters to a messaging problem, saying Obama told him he didn't want to take "a victory lap [because] we have so much more to do," despite pleas the White House "explain to people how we got to where we were now and why it happened."

In August 2016, Biden told The Atlantic one of the chief appeals of Trump was his ability to speak with the average American and the economically disadvantaged .

"I was doing the interview on Morning Joe, and they asked the same question. And I said, 'Look, the truth is we just haven’t paid enough attention to these people. We haven’t spoken to them.” And everybody went nuts going, 'Aw Jesus! Hillary is going to think that’s an attack.'

More:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/biden-concedes-that-under-obama-a-lot-of-people-were-left-behind

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: Biden concedes that under Obama 'a lot of people were left behind'
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 12:49:41 pm »
This is just one glimpse into the soul of the modern dem party - which "victim" group should we pretend to care about this year to try to get the maximum electoral advantage?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 12:58:49 pm »
This is just one glimpse into the soul of the modern dem party - which "victim" group should we pretend to care about this year to try to get the maximum electoral advantage?
Like I noted in another thread, the more likely a group or demographic views itself as a victim, the more they're going to vote monolithically.

Donald Trump is the first Republican I can remember that deliberately used this phenomenon against the Democrats... and that's why they hate him more than anything. (It's also why conservatives have such a strong distaste for him, too, because victim mentality is against everything we stand for.) Democrats constantly like to pit them vs. someone else: the blacks are victims of the whites, the women (especially single women) are victims of The Patriarchy (men), gays are victims of Christians, poor and working class are victims of the rich, public servants like teachers are victims of the ignorant taxpayers. Put enough of these sizable minorities together and get them to sympathize with each other, and boom... the illusion of demographic destiny.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 12:59:19 pm »
Doh. Looks like Biden got tired of waiting for Obama's endorsement.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 01:25:26 pm »
Doh. Looks like Biden got tired of waiting for Obama's endorsement.

When does Hell freeze over?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 01:57:00 pm »
Like I noted in another thread, the more likely a group or demographic views itself as a victim, the more they're going to vote monolithically.

Donald Trump is the first Republican I can remember that deliberately used this phenomenon against the Democrats... and that's why they hate him more than anything. (It's also why conservatives have such a strong distaste for him, too, because victim mentality is against everything we stand for.) Democrats constantly like to pit them vs. someone else: the blacks are victims of the whites, the women (especially single women) are victims of The Patriarchy (men), gays are victims of Christians, poor and working class are victims of the rich, public servants like teachers are victims of the ignorant taxpayers. Put enough of these sizable minorities together and get them to sympathize with each other, and boom... the illusion of demographic destiny.

Wise observation, @jmyrlefuller.