Author Topic: Trump administration pursues rule that would remove 3.1 mil people from food stamps  (Read 355 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump administration pursues rule that would remove 3.1 mll people from food stamps
Yahoo, Jul 22, 2019, Reuters

The Trump administration on Tuesday will propose a rule to tighten food stamp restrictions that would cut about 3.1 million people from the program, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) officials said.

Currently, 43 U.S. states allow residents to automatically become eligible for food stamps through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, known as SNAP, if they receive benefits from another federal program known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, according to the USDA.

But the agency wants to require people who receive TANF benefits to pass a review of their income and assets to determine whether they are eligible for free food from SNAP, officials said.

If enacted, the rule would save the federal government about $2.5 billion a year by removing people from SNAP, according to the USDA.

U.S. President Donald Trump has argued that many Americans now using SNAP do not need it given the strong economy and low unemployment, and should be removed as a way to save taxpayers as much as $15 billion.

More:  https://news.yahoo.com/trump-administration-pursues-rule-remove-035900068.html

Offline PeteS in CA

I think actual qualifying should be required, but the number who would not qualify and would be taken off "food stamps" is uncertain. It would be interesting to see what those percentages turn out to be.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think actual qualifying should be required, but the number who would not qualify and would be taken off "food stamps" is uncertain. It would be interesting to see what those percentages turn out to be.

Agreed.  The estimated $2.5B is a rubbish guess.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Sounds like another way to Ace Americans out of needed benefits when they need them.  We're talking about food.  So if you have a house, car or boat then you shouldn't get food?  Take for instance a mother with two small children who doesn't work because day care would take her entire wages.  While she is raising her small children and they have a mortgage should those American children suffer without food? 

When are they going to crack down on illegal immigrants?  Ones who don't report their salaries or assets.  Who live in houses with multiple families on food stamps and other social programs with a driveway full of new cars and water toys.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
But the requirements for TANF are even more stringent than for SNAP... meaning that the savings are going to be practically nothing!

Now, when they kick obese people off food stamps, then we'll start talking savings.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Sounds like another way to Ace Americans out of needed benefits when they need them.  We're talking about food.  So if you have a house, car or boat then you shouldn't get food?  Take for instance a mother with two small children who doesn't work because day care would take her entire wages.  While she is raising her small children and they have a mortgage should those American children suffer without food? 

When are they going to crack down on illegal immigrants?  Ones who don't report their salaries or assets.  Who live in houses with multiple families on food stamps and other social programs with a driveway full of new cars and water toys.

I have a boat that cost, well, a few bucks.  I currently have virtually no income, by choice.   What's fair?

1) I have to sell my boat before I expect the govt to take your money and give it to me for food.

2) I keep my boat and expect the govt to take your money and give it to me for food.

[It's a trick question.  There is no right answer, other than that I pay for my own food (or look to charity)].
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.