Author Topic: Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'  (Read 457 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'
Washington Examiner, Jul 22, 2019

Rep. Rashida Tlaib said the federal minimum wage should be raised to $20 an hour.

"Big fights like this one, $15. When we started it, it should have been $15," the Michigan Democrat said in a video posted by America Rising on Monday. "Now I think it should be $20 ... It should be $20 an hour. $18-20 an hour."

Tlaib said the higher minimum was because the cost of "a lot of things" has gone up.

Tlaib, 42, has been on the front lines of the "Fight for $15." In 2018, the congresswoman was arrested during a protest in support of a national fast food workers walkout to demand a $15 per hour minimum wage.

"These corporations are making billions off of our blood and sweat," then-candidate Tlaib said. "That's the most American thing you can do today: to push back, because they are pushing our children into poverty, because we deserve better."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/rashida-tlaib-the-federal-minimum-wage-should-be-20-an-hour

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 01:55:45 pm »

John Gage   |   22 Jul 2019

Rep. Rashida Tlaib said the federal minimum wage should be raised to $20 an hour.

"Big fights like this one, $15. When we started it, it should have been $15," the Michigan Democrat said in a video posted by America Rising on Monday. "Now I think it should be $20 ... It should be $20 an hour. $18-20 an hour."

Tlaib said the higher minimum was because the cost of "a lot of things" has gone up.  .  .  .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rashida-tlaib-the-federal-minimum-wage-should-be-dollar20-an-hour/ar-AAEIVxz

Classic economic idiocy on display.  If you think the cost of "a lot of things" has gone up now, just wait until a $20/hr minimum wage goes into effect.  And why stop at $20?  Why not $50/hr?  $100/hr?  If $15 is good and $20 is better, then $100/hr should really do the trick.

btw, the reason prices have gone up in the last 10 years is because Congress has dumped an additional $14 trillion in new money into the economy for the sole purpose of helping them get re-elected.  More money chasing fewer goods means prices go up.  And more importantly, it means that the standard of living of all Americans goes down.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Mod5

Re: Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 02:20:37 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 02:25:00 pm »

John Gage   |   22 Jul 2019

Tlaib said the higher minimum was because the cost of "a lot of things" has gone up.  .  .  .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rashida-tlaib-the-federal-minimum-wage-should-be-dollar20-an-hour/ar-AAEIVxz

Classic economic idiocy on display.  If you think the cost of "a lot of things" has gone up now, just wait until a $20/hr minimum wage goes into effect.  And why stop at $20?  Why not $50/hr?  $100/hr?  If $15 is good and $20 is better, then $100/hr should really do the trick.

btw, the reason prices have gone up in the last 10 years is because Congress has dumped an additional $14 trillion in new money into the economy for the sole purpose of helping them get re-elected.  More money chasing fewer goods means prices go up.  And more importantly, it means that the standard of living of all Americans goes down.

Leftists share the childishly idiotic belief that all employers have cash stacked in their closets & spare bedrooms and just need to be made to share it with their benighted employees. Their understanding of economics goes no deeper than that.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 03:43:57 pm »
Leftists share the childishly idiotic belief that all employers have cash stacked in their closets & spare bedrooms and just need to be made to share it with their benighted employees. Their understanding of economics goes no deeper than that.

That's all quite true. Economically illiterate leftists are possessed of the image of all capitalists as either the Monopoly Man or perhaps, Mr. Burns from The Simpsons having a money fight with Smithers.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 03:57:28 pm »
Heck!  Let's make it $50, or $100, or what the heck $1000.  SHEESH!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 05:11:46 pm »
Heck!  Let's make it $50, or $100, or what the heck $1000.  SHEESH!!!

Have you ever tried to explain to a liberal why wages are in fact a price signal, which if set arbitrarily will necessarily affect the number of jobs available?

There are two generic responses to this line of inquiry, both of which I have received at different times. One is utter, and often angry denial, as though the laws of economics might be changed by mere desire.

The other is a look that one might receive when trying to explain the same laws of economics to your cocker spaniel.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 05:16:34 pm »
Have you ever tried to explain to a liberal why wages are in fact a price signal, which if set arbitrarily will necessarily affect the number of jobs available?

There are two generic responses to this line of inquiry, both of which I have received at different times. One is utter, and often angry denial, as though the laws of economics might be changed by mere desire.

The other is a look that one might receive when trying to explain the same laws of economics to your cocker spaniel.

Unfortunately, I have. And seen the exact same things result.  But not only among liberals.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:52:21 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 07:50:07 pm »
The funny thing is, the ones that are uber-rich, they don't employ people. They make their money from stocks. Passive income.

Jeff Bezos's huge chunk of Google is just as much a contributor to his wealth as his ownership of Amazon.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online rustynail

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 07:58:42 pm »
If the Party would just distribute our needs there would be no reason for this debate.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:01:52 pm »
The funny thing is, the ones that are uber-rich, they don't employ people. They make their money from stocks. Passive income.

Jeff Bezos's huge chunk of Google is just as much a contributor to his wealth as his ownership of Amazon.

Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, guys like him enjoy increasingly disproportionate representation in government.

Conversely small businesses have increasingly less representation, therefore take the results of stupid, ignorant leftwing policies like this in the throat. While guys like Bezos really do have filthy lucre stacked in his closet.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 09:01:13 pm »
$15?$20? Do I hear $25! There is no end to their largesse with OPM.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online LMAO

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 09:40:30 am »
One of the joys of being a progressive is you always have a simplistic, child like view of the world. Soak the rich? They’ll pay whatever amount without making their own economic decisions. Double the minimum wage?  Well that simply means everybody will make more money.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy