Author Topic: Trump announces 'real compromise' on budget deal with congressional leaders  (Read 261 times)

Offline libertybele

So ... am I reading this wrong -- that fiscal conservatives don't want him spending $$ on the wall???  IF indeed this passes and he gets $$ for the wall -- I see this as a very HUGE win for our country and for the President.

Trump announces 'real compromise' on budget deal with congressional leaders

The Trump administration and congressional leaders, including Democrats, have reached a critical debt and budget agreement that all but eliminates the risk of another government shut down this fall -- but that has already drawn fierce blowback from conservatives worried about overspending, as well as progressives unhappy with where the money could go.......

.........The compromise outraged fiscal conservatives and some Democrats, including Vermont Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, who noted that the bill would not block Trump from spending money on his proposed border wall.

“I’m worried the House is willing to give him far too much discretion to take money and move it anywhere he wants including a wall,” Leahy told The Washington Post. “So the way it is now I will not vote for it. . . . The other 99 can vote for it, I won’t.”..

.........In the end, domestic programs would on average receive 4-percent increases in the first year of the pact, with much of those gains eaten up by veterans increases and an unavoidable surge for the U.S. Census. Defense would jump to $738 billion next year, a 3-percent hike.

Trump retains flexibility to transfer money between accounts, which raises the possibility of attempted transfers for building border barriers.

President Trump and some congressional leaders were ebullient about the deal.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-budget-deal-congressional-leaders
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

First off I'll believe it when it passes.
Second it doesn't matter if the money is available if they can't build in areas that "opt-out."
Third it doesn't matter if the money is available if they can't spend it.  https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/06/30/judge-bars-trump-from-using-25b-in-military-funding-to-build-border-wall/
Forth Trump is a complete screw-up who doesn't care if the wall gets built as long as his supporters blame his failure on the rats and vote GOP in 2020.

Offline libertybele

First off I'll believe it when it passes.
Second it doesn't matter if the money is available if they can't build in areas that "opt-out."
Third it doesn't matter if the money is available if they can't spend it.  https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/06/30/judge-bars-trump-from-using-25b-in-military-funding-to-build-border-wall/
Forth Trump is a complete screw-up who doesn't care if the wall gets built as long as his supporters blame his failure on the rats and vote GOP in 2020.

Well, all what you say is absolutely true.  I'm hopeful that some progress has been made.  It's a wait and see right now.  This wouldn't go into affect anyways until after the election.  My big question is --- what are the DEMS getting in return?  $15/hr. wage perhaps?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

MORE increase, above and beyond the TRILLIONS already.

And another victory lap for nothing.

woohoo.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Well, all what you say is absolutely true.  I'm hopeful that some progress has been made.  It's a wait and see right now.  This wouldn't go into affect anyways until after the election.  My big question is --- what are the DEMS getting in return?  $15/hr. wage perhaps?

Isn't that the way it always is.  You don't find out about the grimy parts until hours before the vote.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/278612182021853184

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

The Republicans must use the debt ceiling as leverage to make a great deal!
1:28 PM - 11 Dec 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/294094883394838528

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

I cannot believe the Republicans are extending the debt ceiling—I am a Republican & I am embarrassed!
6:50 AM - 23 Jan 2013
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:35:38 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline libertybele

Well for one it gets rid of automatic spending cuts!   :facepalm2:

Offline Victoria33

@liberybele

The fiscal year for the government begins in September.  This budget deal starts in September.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
BKMK

Offline libertybele

@liberybele

The fiscal year for the government begins in September.  This budget deal starts in September.

Got it.    However,  the budget would suspend the debt ceiling and permit more government borrowing until July 31, 2021 -- after the next presidential election.