Author Topic: A.I. is translating messages of long-lost languages  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
A.I. is translating messages of long-lost languages
« on: July 16, 2019, 05:56:08 pm »
Big Think by Paul Ratner 14 July, 2019

Researchers from MIT and Google Brain discover how to use deep learning to decipher ancient languages.
    The technique can be used to read languages that died long ago.
    The method builds on the ability of machines to quickly complete monotonous tasks.

There are about 6,500-7,000 languages currently spoken in the world. But that's less than a quarter of all the languages people spoke over the course of human history. That total number is around 31,000 languages, according to some linguistic estimates. Every time a language is lost, so goes that way of thinking, of relating to the world. The relationships, the poetry of life uniquely described through that language are lost too. But what if you could figure out how to read the dead languages? Researchers from MIT and Google Brain created an AI-based system that can accomplish just that.

While languages change, many of the symbols and how the words and characters are distributed stay relatively constant over time. Because of that, you could attempt to decode a long-lost language if you understood its relationship to a known progenitor language. This insight is what allowed the team which included Jiaming Luo and Regina Barzilay from MIT and Yuan Cao from Google's AI lab to use machine learning to decipher the early Greek language Linear B (from 1400 BC) and a cuneiform Ugaritic (early Hebrew) language that's also over 3,000 years old.

Linear B was previously cracked by a human – in 1953, it was deciphered by Michael Ventris. But this was the first time the language was figured out by a machine.

More: https://bigthink.com/technology-innovation/a-i-is-translating-messages-of-long-lost-languages?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: A.I. is translating messages of long-lost languages
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:47 pm »
Linear B was the writing and language of the Mycenaean Greeks, the Greeks who fought the Trojan War. Between that time and when the Greek city states fought the Persian empire (Thermopylae, Marathon, Salamis) the Mycenaean civilization collapsed and another people group may have invaded or migrated into Greece. It is possible that the gods of the real Mycenaean city state kings who fought against Troy (Ilium) may have been other than the gods referenced in the Iliad.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.