Author Topic: Trump moves to effectively end asylum at southern border  (Read 207 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump moves to effectively end asylum at southern border
« on: July 15, 2019, 11:14:35 pm »
Trump moves to effectively end asylum at southern border
Associated Press, Jul 15, 2019, Colleen Long

WASHINGTON (AP) — Reversing decades of U.S. policy, the Trump administration said Monday it will end all asylum protections for most migrants who arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border — the president’s most forceful attempt yet to block asylum claims and slash the number of people seeking refuge in America.

The new rule, expected to go into effect Tuesday, would cover countless would-be refugees, many of them fleeing violence and poverty in Central America. It is certain to face legal challenges.

According to the plan published in the Federal Register , migrants who pass through another country — in this case, Mexico — on their way to the U.S. will be ineligible for asylum. The rule also applies to children who have crossed the border alone.

The vast majority of people affected by the rule are from Central America. But sometimes migrants from Africa , Cuba or Haiti and other countries try to come through the U.S.-Mexico border, as well.

There are some exceptions, including for victims of human trafficking and asylum-seekers who were denied protection in another country. If the country the migrant passed through did not sign one of the major international treaties governing how refugees are managed (though most Western countries signed them) a migrant could still apply for U.S. asylum.

More:  https://apnews.com/6bef9ed6c48b4c2ea203cbbea3ccacad

Offline skeeter

Re: Trump moves to effectively end asylum at southern border
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 11:15:25 pm »
Predict another short lived thread.

But good for him.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:22:15 am »
Mexico has signed hasn't it?  Then there should be no more asylum at the Southern Border.   :yowsa:  I want to see it happen.  Results first before the victory party.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 01:28:34 am »
Mexico has signed hasn't it?  Then there should be no more asylum at the Southern Border.   :yowsa:  I want to see it happen.  Results first before the victory party.

If they apply and Mexico rejects them, then they would still have the right to apply for asylum in the U.S.  so all Mexico has to do to keep the status quo is to up the number of applicants it rejects.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 02:33:42 am »
If they apply and Mexico rejects them, then they would still have the right to apply for asylum in the U.S.  so all Mexico has to do to keep the status quo is to up the number of applicants it rejects.

Well then he hasn't effectively ended it has he.  That doesn't seem right.  I thought I remember reading about first safe state. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.