Author Topic: NASA asteroid warning: Top ex-astronaut warns world-ending asteroid impact 'could happen'  (Read 363 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Express by Freddie Jordan 7/9/2019

A COLOSSAL, extinction-event asteroid impact with Earth “could happen” according to a top former NASA astronaut.

Speaking to RT America, former International Space Station commander Leroy Chiao claimed that “of course” this “big disaster” could theoretically take place - and has done so in the past. However, reassuringly, the chances of it occurring in the near future remain “pretty small.” Mr Chiao explained: “If you look at the movies that have been made about it, it’s this big disaster.

“And, of course, it could happen.

“And we know that about 60 million years ago a very large asteroid impacted the Yucatan peninsula and probably wiped out the dinosaurs.

“And so that kind of thing can happen and does happen periodically.

“However, I think the chances of it happening are pretty small.”

The comet that is presumed to have killed the dinosaurs is thought to have occurred 66 million years ago.

The giant space object measured between 6.8 to 50.3 miles in diameter and triggered a mass extinction event that wiped out 75 percent of plant and animal species on Earth - including all non-avian dinosaurs.

NASA’s asteroid trackers have meanwhile revealed that an asteroid with the destructive power of 2,700 megatons of explosive TNT risks slamming into the Earth later this year.

More: https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1151014/NASA-asteroid-warning-danger-ISS-yucatan-crater-Asteroid-FT3-hit-earth-October-NASA-news

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Asteroid 2004 MN4, now called Apophis....April 13,2029. Friday the 13th.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Of course it could happen. Theia crashed into the Earth and made our moon.

It can happen tomorrow or in a billion years.  My money is on way in the future when we have left this beautiful planet as it starts to die because of the sun, starting to die.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️