Author Topic: Second Thoughts about a Letter to the Editor on Immigration Story  (Read 297 times)

rangerrebew

Second Thoughts about a Letter to the Editor on Immigration Story

By Jerry Kammer on July 8, 2019

I’ve long been disappointed by the poor quality of the immigration reporting in my old hometown newspaper, the Baltimore Sun. Last week, the paper published another story that lacked objectivity and essential background information. It was an admiring, almost cheer-leading account of a protest against Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

And so, as an immigration researcher, a former reporter, and native of Baltimore, I wrote to the editor. My brief, two paragraph letter, published here, states:

The headline of the article in the Baltimore Sun read, "ICE protest seeks to protect Baltimore's immigrant community" (June 27). It signaled the shallow, blatantly one-sided reporting of the story which made no attempt to explain that the proposed ICE operation was intended to arrest those who had an order of removal from an immigration judge at the end of a long asylum-petition review process that often lasts for years.

https://cis.org/Kammer/Second-Thoughts-about-Letter-Editor-Immigration-Story