Author Topic: Mad magazine to stop publishing issues with new content this fall  (Read 617 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mad magazine to stop publishing issues with new content this fall
    By     mark osborne
Jul 4, 2019

Mad magazine, the venerable satire publication, will stop publishing issues with new content this fall.

The magazine, famous for the grinning face of character Alfred E. Neuman and his slogan, "What, me worry?", will stop publishing issues with new writing after issue No. 10, according to DC, which publishes the magazine. Starting with issue No. 11 there will be republished content sent to subscribers and sold in comic shops.

It will no longer be carried on newsstands, DC said.

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mad-magazine-stop-publishing-issues-content-fall/story?id=64126360

They use to sell all of the old stuff in paperbacks as well, I mean, that is probably a testament to it's popularity.  Now, it won't even be sold on newsstands... but that can always change, I was in a Barnes and Noble not long ago, one might think magazines are no longer popular. That is probably basically so... but still a market? It seems so.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Mad magazine to stop publishing issues with new content this fall
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 10:08:21 am »
I was about to post this.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mad-magazine-effectively-close-67-years-1222636

MAD Magazine to Effectively Shutter After 67 Years
July 03, 2019 9:47pm
Sources tell THR that after issue 9, MAD will no longer be sold on newsstands and will only be available through comic book shops as well as mailed to subscribers. After issue 10, there will no longer be new content in subsequent issues save for the end-of-year specials (those will be all-new). Beginning with issue 11, the magazine will only feature previously published content — classic and best-of nostalgic fare — from its massive fault of the past 67 years. DC, however, will also continue to publish MAD books and special collections.

On Wednesday night, MAD cartoonists David DeGrand and Evan Dorkin took to social media to confirm and lament the closure of the magazine. The news follows writer Dan Telfer's tweet earlier this week about being laid off as a senior editor at the magazine.

DC Entertainment, the publishers of MAD, declined to comment.

"Today won't end. Goodbye, MAD Magazine. As a youngster I was a huge fan of the 70's era, as a young adult I rediscovered the 50's comics, as an old nerd I somehow became a contributor (often working w/@colorkitten) for the last decade +. Getting the e-mail today was crushing," Dorkin said in a tweet thread, confirming his own departure and a staff-wide email about the closure. Dorkin ended his thread with "for all intents and purposes, MAD is folding."

Responding to social media speculation that MAD was shuttering, DeGrand tweeted "can confirm."

The venerable humor magazine was founded in 1952 by a group of editors led by Harvey Kurtzman. Although it began as a comic book, bimonthly issues were published and became the norm for the satirical content. MAD, with it's always memorable covers featuring the gap-toothed Alfred E. Neuman, has been highly influential on successive generations of comedians, artists, writers and performers.

The news of the magazine's closure has already led to reaction on social media with a host of comedy heavyweights sharing their sorrow at the news, how MAD influenced them and their favorite bits from down the years.

Weird Al Yankovic tweeted: "I am profoundly sad to hear that after 67 years, MAD Magazine is ceasing publication. I can’t begin to describe the impact it had on me as a young kid – it’s pretty much the reason I turned out weird. Goodbye to one of the all-time greatest American institutions. #ThanksMAD."

The Lego Movie director Chris Miller tweeted: "I was an intern at MAD Magazine in 1994. I had no apt in NY so I kept my belongings in the archives & took a daypack & crashed on couches for 3 months. In the writers room they had a drum kit to do rim shots on bad jokes. Great memories. I’ll miss it."

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Al Yankovic
✔
@alyankovic
 I am profoundly sad to hear that after 67 years, MAD Magazine is ceasing publication. I can’t begin to describe the impact it had on me as a young kid – it’s pretty much the reason I turned out weird. Goodbye to one of the all-time greatest American institutions.  #ThanksMAD

12:20 AM - Jul 4, 2019

5,424 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

David Mandel
✔
@DavidHMandel
 So sad. My kids still love @MADmagazine. And I know everything I know about the Towering Inferno from it aka #thetoweringsterno.

https://twitter.com/comicbook/status/1146603894618935296 …
Comicbook.com
✔
@ComicBook
BREAKING: #DCComics is cancelling publication of #MADMagazinehttps://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/04/mad-magazine-to-cease-publication/ …
View image on Twitter

12:21 AM - Jul 4, 2019 · Los Angeles, CA

See David Mandel's other Tweets

Chris Miller
✔
@chrizmillr
 I was an intern at MAD Magazine in 1994. I had no apt in NY so I kept my belongings in the archives & took a daypack & crashed on couches for 3 months.
In the writers room they had a drum kit to do rim shots on bad jokes. Great memories. I’ll miss it https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/04/mad-magazine-to-cease-publication/ …

11:24 PM - Jul 3, 2019

MAD Magazine to Cease Publication
MAD Magazine will cease publication later this year, according to reports. Blogger Jedidiah Leland [...]
comicbook.com

60 people are talking about this

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Triumph® ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴsᴜʟᴛ ᴄᴏᴍɪᴄ ᴅᴏɢ™ Headquarters💩
✔
@TriumphICDHQ
 Probably my single favorite part of MAD Magazine was the words Don Martin would come up with for sound effects. A full list of them here: https://madcoversite.com/dmd-alphabetical.html …
In Chicago my friend @yourpaldoug and I adopted two kittens and named them Fweep and Sproing.  - RS

12:09 AM - Jul 4, 2019

20 people are talking about this

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:11:16 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 10:10:28 am »
I’ve subscribed since Dave Berg and Don Martin ruled the magazine, so about 1974 to the present day.

It’s been going downhill the last few years but it’s still my guilty pleasure. I’ll hate to see it go.

I’m actually sad over this,

Thanks @TomSea for beating me out on posting this. I’d be curious if anyone else reads it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 12:37:03 pm »
This is a crying damn shame! Where else are pre-teens and teens to learn about sarcasm,and by extension,wrong-doing by those in charge?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 12:53:13 pm »
Finally, Alfred E. Neuman has reason to worry.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »
This is a crying damn shame! Where else are pre-teens and teens to learn about sarcasm,and by extension,wrong-doing by those in charge?
MAD did such a great job of pointing out ridiculous plots/story lines in many tv shows and movies I could never look at them again without thinking of the MAD parody.
Don Martin was probably my favorite cartoonist.  I'll never forget his seven day rat race cartoon.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 05:18:19 pm »
The great artists are long gone.  I'm surprised it's lasted this long since Gaines passed.

The last issue I ever bought was the 9/11 memorial issue that came out in 2001.  The last panel in the last article was much sobbing and wailing that Martin Sheen wasn't president but stupid Chimpyface was.  Ended up in the trash at an airport.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 05:28:24 pm »
MAD did such a great job of pointing out ridiculous plots/story lines in many tv shows and movies I could never look at them again without thinking of the MAD parody.
Don Martin was probably my favorite cartoonist.  I'll never forget his seven day rat race cartoon.

I typically went straight to the 'fold-in'.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 05:46:42 pm »
I typically went straight to the 'fold-in'.

I loved them.  Jaffee was great!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 05:48:33 pm »
The Babylon Bee has all my sarcasm covered...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 06:04:26 pm »
Honest to gosh, aren't these magazines too expensive now?? Really, I'm astonished at say, if I were to buy the latest Superman for example... and a few years ago, I did buy a Mad magazine...yes, maybe the years catch up with us in that sense but what does one pay now? $4.99? And specials even more. I looked at a special edition Doctor Oz at the supermarket, $12.99. It seems to be getting out of control, even a few years ago, say, if one got some special magazine, maybe $8.99 tops.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 07:44:27 pm »
The great artists are long gone.  I'm surprised it's lasted this long since Gaines passed.

The last issue I ever bought was the 9/11 memorial issue that came out in 2001.  The last panel in the last article was much sobbing and wailing that Martin Sheen wasn't president but stupid Chimpyface was.  Ended up in the trash at an airport.
MAD, like The ONION, was always fairly liberal. I remember when Goldwater was running for prez, they depicted him as a crazy warmonger intent on plunging the world into nuclear war.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 07:49:04 pm »
Honest to gosh, aren't these magazines too expensive now?? Really, I'm astonished at say, if I were to buy the latest Superman for example... and a few years ago, I did buy a Mad magazine...yes, maybe the years catch up with us in that sense but what does one pay now? $4.99? And specials even more. I looked at a special edition Doctor Oz at the supermarket, $12.99. It seems to be getting out of control, even a few years ago, say, if one got some special magazine, maybe $8.99 tops.
Long ago I used to subscribe to maybe ten different magazines, most of them sports mags. Now I subscribe to two, the NRA mag, which you get with a membership, and the AMAC mag with a membership.
Sports Illustrated was the last one I subscribed to, and I let that lapse more than twenty years ago. They were getting too political.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 07:55:47 pm »
MAD, like The ONION, was always fairly liberal. I remember when Goldwater was running for prez, they depicted him as a crazy warmonger intent on plunging the world into nuclear war.

I remember that one well.  I saw it in a Best Of issue years later.
I will NOT comply.