Author Topic: You’re Grilling Wrong! Chefs Share What Not to Do Over the Coals  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Bloomberg by Kate Krader 7/2/2019

What a bunch of "Horse Hockey"

We’re going to have to ask you to step away from the patty.

If there’s a food that epitomizes summer more than a grilled burger, name it.

And yet, not one, not two, but three different chefs have told us to tell you to take those burgers off the coals immediately. Instead, put them on a griddle or plancha—a solid surface where you won’t lose any valuable fat or flavor to the flames below.

A couple years ago, Bloomberg Pursuits reported on the Do Not Grill List, which included shish kebabs and flaky fish. But you didn’t listen, did you? Now other cooks have stepped forward to advise on even more foods you shouldn’t grill, including items that are popular on restaurant menus, such as grilled lettuce and thick-cut bacon. Not only are those bacon slices a fire hazard, there’s also not much chance they’ll cook through before they burn.

Here are more foods you shouldn’t grill in the name of a backyard party—call it the “Do Not Grill List II.” Chef Gray Brooks offers a compromise for those reluctant to give up on grilled burgers entirely: “If you really want that grilled burger smell rolling out of your yard to entice your neighbors, just keep one burger aside for the grill. It’s a worthwhile sacrifice.”

Burgers

Who Says: Bryan Voltaggio, chef and co-owner, Voltaggio Brothers Steak House, Washington, D.C.

Why: “My brother Michael and I put burgers on our restaurant menus, but even at home we keep them off the grill. Instead, we use a plancha or a heavy-duty pan to griddle them. The sear you get from the even cooking surface always gives you a perfectly juicy burger.”

Who Else Says: Gray Brooks, chef and owner, Littler and Jack Tar & the Colonel’s Daughter, Durham, N.C.

Why: “Do not grill burgers. Way too much of the delicious beef fat winds up in the fire. When burgers are seared on a flat top, or in a cast-iron pan, that fat renders out and becomes a cooking medium and helps form a really nice beefy crust. If you really want to cook burgers on the grill—which I totally understand, grilling is one of the coolest things to do in life—put a cast-iron griddle on the grill. You can also grill the onions, which are a great way to still get the smoky grill flavor on the burger.”

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-02/how-to-best-grill-burgers-don-t-say-top-chefs

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Two words:  "Sous Vide."  Finish with a nice sear.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline rustynail

Very interesting, thanks.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If you want to get that beautiful, tasty sear, the meat has to be dry.  Let it sit between paper towels for some time before you cook it and you will get that wonderful caramelized crust.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It's more than doneness and the sear, its also the wood smoke flavor.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's more than doneness and the sear, its also the wood smoke flavor.

I smoked a Brisket a couple weeks ago.  *Chef's Kiss*

(I cooked it in my Sous Vide for about 36 hours first.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Two words:  "Sous Vide."  Finish with a nice sear.

Hmmm, I've heard of that for some time....  have to look into it more closely...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Hmmm, I've heard of that for some time....  have to look into it more closely...

Try it and you'll never want to cook a steak the old way.  Since you can literally slow-cook for days you can make a Chuck Roast taste like Prime Rib.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Try it and you'll never want to cook a steak the old way.  Since you can literally slow-cook for days you can make a Chuck Roast taste like Prime Rib.

You have any product recommendations...  I had stumbled upon this:

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

Any good?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You have any product recommendations...  I had stumbled upon this:

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

Any good?

I got one of those on Amazon...the WiFi crapped out but I never used that feature much.  Bluetooth is still good.  I hope the new "Pro" model is better.  Do you have Bookface?  I can hook you up with a couple groups that discuss Sous Vide in detail.  I have a bookmark somewhere to a really good page that explains the science and has a number of useful tables.

Oh...Anova comes with an App that has a lot of good guidance too.

Anova is a really good entry-level Immersion Cooker.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I made one just to try it out. It was very similar to rigging up an ice chest to keep live shrimp for bait. I took a 48 qt Igloo and made a PVC frame to fit inside. On one end it had an air lift pump positioned just under an immersion heater and it was all controlled by a PID controller. It was big enough to feed my army.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I made one just to try it out. It was very similar to rigging up an ice chest to keep live shrimp for bait. I took a 48 qt Igloo and made a PVC frame to fit inside. On one end it had an air lift pump positioned just under an immersion heater and it was all controlled by a PID controller. It was big enough to feed my army.

I had a PID unit in a large crock pot.  (We're just two people.)  It worked well, but I wanted to do larger batches and the size/circulation was an issue there.  First time I did it I used a big stockpot on the electric  stove with a meat thermometer to monitor the temperature.  Once.  Then I used the PID for years, but it's really nice having a circulator for the 36 hour Brisket (Chuck is awesome at 48 hours).   The Anova can keep a 48 Qt Igloo going nicely once you get it warmed up.  I've seen people cut a hole in the lid with a hole saw to fit the Anova. 

I have a couple bags of "Sous Vide balls" to keep the water from evaporating, if I don't want to ruin an Igloo.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I had good circulation in the Igloo. I had a plexiglass wall across 1 end about an inch from the end, that went from an inch from the bottom to an inch from the water level. That's where I had a long air stone with the immersion heater above the stone. The rising air moved enough water to give good circulation.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I had good circulation in the Igloo. I had a plexiglass wall across 1 end about an inch from the end, that went from an inch from the bottom to an inch from the water level. That's where I had a long air stone with the immersion heater above the stone. The rising air moved enough water to give good circulation.

888high58888
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

What the heck would y'all go through all that when you can just use smoke?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Because you can't wear your mad scientist outfit with the cool goggles and spiffy lab coat if you're outside smoking.

Offline corbe

I'll put my brisket on the stoked smoker about 8 in the morning and go back to Bed for a couple of hours, around 3 my few drunk, stoned, friends will show up and pull it off the grill because they will insist it's ready, already (the last few hours wrapped in foil).
   It will be devoured while I preach the Founding Fathers Vision to these apolical apes.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

Because you can't wear your mad scientist outfit with the cool goggles and spiffy lab coat if you're outside smoking.

LOL! Is that really a thing? Nah...

All I know is there ain't nothing that works better or tastes better than the smoke... on anything.
Seems like all the time, with a result that cannot be as good.

:shrug:

This sous vide thing... That's just basically throwin something in a zippy bag and pitchin it in a boil, right?

**nononono*

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Because I can't smoke a Brisket for 48 hours?

I have a chef's jacket and a stopwatch.  And a slide-rule. :tongue2:
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

I'll put my brisket on the stoked smoker about 8 in the morning and go back to Bed for a couple of hours, around 3 my few drunk, stoned, friends will show up and pull it off the grill because they will insist it's ready, already (the last few hours wrapped in foil).
   It will be devoured while I preach the Founding Fathers Vision to these apolical apes.

That sounds about right. You need something sharp to poke at your friends to keep em off it another couple hours..

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

All I know is there ain't nothing that works better or tastes better than the smoke... on anything.

This sous vide thing... That's just basically throwin something in a zippy bag and pitchin it in a boil, right?

**nononono*

Well, not revealing any confidential information, but this is @Cyber Liberty:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

**nononono*

It's difficult deciding if I want the steak cooked to 132 or 134 F.  :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Because I can't smoke a Brisket for 48 hours?

Right... So what? put it in the smoke for 8 to 12 and you don't even need teeth.
That's why I don't get it.  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, not revealing any confidential information, but this is @Cyber Liberty:

Now you're being silly.  I'm not blonde.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:02:01 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

It's difficult deciding if I want the steak cooked to 132 or 134 F.  :shrug:

Put a sear on it and throw it in the smoke... You'll be fine.

Three words that will change your life, son:

BARREL HOUSE COOKER.

:yowsa: