Author Topic: U.S. Drops Fight to Add Census Citizen Question  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: U.S. Drops Fight to Add Census Citizen Question
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 01:08:43 am »
The decision was broken into parts. Do you know how the specific members voted with concern to the central issue? I thought that part was a 5 to 4 decision.

It was on hold and Trump was supposed to give them a reason that passed legal muster.  This is a complete fold once again.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 01:27:22 am »
It was on hold and Trump was supposed to give them a reason that passed legal muster.  This is a complete fold once again.

So you don’t know what the split on the court was...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 01:29:40 am »
skeeter wrote (of Roberts):
"Makes one wonder why he's on the SCOTUS at all, let alone it's chief justice."

He's turning out to the the Earl Warren of the twenty-first century.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 03:11:46 am »
Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

A very sad time for America when the Supreme Court of the United States won’t allow a question of “Is this person a Citizen of the United States?” to be asked on the #2020 Census! Going on for a long time. I have asked the Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice....

....to do whatever is necessary to bring this most vital of questions, and this very important case, to a successful conclusion. USA! USA! USA!

7:33 PM - 2 Jul 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146245460035850241

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 04:47:31 am »

That's great he sent out a tweet.  Makes everything OK, right.  He should be stopping the printing of those Census forms and providing the Supreme Court with what they wanted.  The section of the Constitution that says representatives are added according to population.  If you are counting illegals.  Californication is going to need more representatives.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2019, 12:49:44 pm »

That's great he sent out a tweet.  Makes everything OK, right. 

How is it you missed the instructions in the tweet?   :pondering:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2019, 01:10:34 pm »
Thanks Roberts, you POS, for making certain our precious illegal aliens retain their representation in the House.

Roberts is a worthless coward and a POS traitor. I hope he rots in hell.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2019, 01:15:20 pm »

It’s on Trump

It's on that other POS G.W.Bush (spit), the worst R president ever, for appointing the compromised coward Roberts.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 01:28:40 pm »
skeeter wrote (of Roberts):
"Makes one wonder why he's on the SCOTUS at all, let alone it's chief justice."

He's turning out to the the Earl Warren of the twenty-first century.
Let's not go that far. Warren and Brennan's long laundry list of treacherous decisions far outpace Roberts's and probably will go unsurpassed in our lifetimes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 01:34:01 pm »

He should be stopping the printing of those Census forms and providing the Supreme Court with what they wanted.  The section of the Constitution that says representatives are added according to population.  If you are counting illegals.  Californication is going to need more representatives.

The problem is that he doesn't provide that information to the Supreme Court directly.  It's basically a question that has to start all over again with a lower court, and there's no time to complete the appeals process.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 01:46:24 pm »
Not really seeing a problem with the Court's ruling.  The intent of adding the question was to help Republicans with redistricting.  The Trump Administration was given the opportunity to come up with an alternate reason for why the question was added.  They chose not to do so.

If one is not willing to put up a fight in court, then one is going to lose again and again.  If anything, they should be taking questions off the census, not adding more on.   The number of people in the country has zero bearing on congressional representation per the 14th Amendment.  It comes down to how many people each state allows to vote.  And that is up to each state.  Which is why states are now allowing felons and illegals to vote.  It can gain them an extra congressman.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 06:02:55 pm »
Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

The News Reports about the Department of Commerce dropping its quest to put the Citizenship Question on the Census is incorrect or, to state it differently, FAKE! We are absolutely moving forward, as we must, because of the importance of the answer to this question.

10:06 AM - Jul 3, 2019

The two departments issued statements, yesterday. How can it be fake? He’s either out of touch with functions within his own branch or he’s legit delusional.

"I respect the Supreme Court but strongly disagree with its ruling regarding my decision to reinstate a citizenship question on the 2020 Census," Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross wrote in a statement on Tuesday. "The Census Bureau has started the process of printing the decennial questionnaires without the question. My focus, and that of the Bureau and the entire Department is to conduct a complete and accurate census."

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-insists-effort-add-citizenship-census-absolutely-moving-171500274--abc-news-topstories.html

The ACLU shared an email from U.S. Department of Justice trial attorney Kate Bailey announcing the decision to not include the question that was blocked by the Supreme Court last week.

"We can confirm that the decision has been made to print the 2020 Decennial Census questionnaire without a citizenship question and that the printer has been instructed to begin the printing process," Bailey wrote.

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/US/2019/07/02/DOJ-lawyer-2020-census-wont-include-citizenship-question/9011562105033/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.