Author Topic: On Watch in the Arabian Gulf: What the U.S. Navy Faces Against Iran  (Read 323 times)

rangerrebew

On Watch in the Arabian Gulf: What the U.S. Navy Faces Against Iran

By James Stavridis June 25, 2019

When oil tankers were bombed in the Persian Gulf two weeks ago, my thoughts turned to the summer of 1987 when I sailed through the narrow Strait of Hormuz for the first time as the Operations Officer in a brand-new Navy Cruiser, the U.S.S. Valley Forge. She was the fourth of the vaunted AEGIS-class guided missile cruisers, and our job was to protect the aircraft carrier carrying the admiral in command of our forces in the Arabian Gulf. Like today, tensions were elevated with Iran as a result of their attacks on merchant shipping, carried out largely through dumping mines in international waters – part of the so-called “Tanker War.” Several oil tankers were hit, passage through the Strait was problematic, and the international community sought to keep the Strait open to allow some 30% of the world’s oil that moves through it. That became the Navy’s mission.

https://time.com/5613558/tensions-iran-u-s-sailors/

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: On Watch in the Arabian Gulf: What the U.S. Navy Faces Against Iran
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 02:44:34 am »
Should Iran take any hostile action against our forces in the gulf, then the USA should unleash Armagedon upon the Iranians, destroying all their naval bases and their entire fleet for starters.

And I am tired of hearing about collateral damage.  The Allies killed millions of civilians during WWII, intentionally.  The only way to execute a war action is to kill all in your path.  We have lost common sense when waging war.  Too many Americans are dead because of this stupidity.

Offline Absalom

Re: On Watch in the Arabian Gulf: What the U.S. Navy Faces Against Iran
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 03:02:03 am »
And the point of these brainless posts from nobodies is WHAT???
Iran has neither an Air Force nor a Navy and never had!!!!!
Lord have Mercy, spare us the stupidity!