Author Topic: Ancient Europeans lived alongside a half-ton bird nearly 12 feet tall  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Inside a Crimean cave was a gigantic ancient mystery just waiting to be uncovered: a bird so large that it weighed nearly as much as an adult polar bear.

Giant birds once roamed Madagascar, New Zealand and Australia. The latest fossil find, an intriguing fossilized femur, was recently found in Taurida Cave on the northern coast of the Black Sea.

It was discovered along with other fossils, including bison bones, that helped researchers date the now-extinct giant bird to between 1.5 million and 2 million years ago. ...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/world/giant-bird-crimean-cave-scn-trnd/index.html

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Huge range, from Black Sea, to Madagascar, to New Zealand.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Amazing. Besides the Emu, Ostrich, whatever those big birds in Australia are (those may be Emus or may be something else), I saw that there seems to be another big bird that roams the planet still, a bird that does not seem too threatening.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Amazing. Besides the Emu, Ostrich, whatever those big birds in Australia are (those may be Emus or may be something else), I saw that there seems to be another big bird that roams the planet still, a bird that does not seem too threatening.

Maybe cassowary or secretary bird? 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cassowary, that's it, those things can kill... kill pretty easily. Thank you, great answer. @Sanguine

The other day, as I said, I saw a picture of another big bird, neither of the two you mentioned. Maybe I can find something on it this weekend.