Author Topic: New Republic: Beto O’Rourke’s “War Tax” Is Classic Democratic Militarism  (Read 186 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Beto O’Rourke’s “War Tax” Is Classic Democratic Militarism
By Adam Weinstein

In the annals of terrible American militarist policy proposals, few are sillier and less punk than self-identified Fugazi fan Beto O’Rourke’s de facto patriotism tax.

Before roasting him, let me first say a few words in praise of the former Texas congressman and Democratic presidential hopeful. As a three-term member of the House Veterans Affairs Committee, O’Rourke led on a few issues of real import to the vet community—particularly in securing emergency mental health services for vets with “bad paper,” i.e. those with less-than-honorable discharges often stemming from health issues that were undiagnosed or stigmatized in the service. It’s a good start, in terms of returning what’s due to those who have served in an unprecedented stretch of overseas wars and transitioned to civilian life in a deeply iniquitous, divided society.

But campaign season is now upon us, and the policies are getting punchier. Among his otherwise anodyne presidential proposals for veteran care—including an end to the Afghanistan war, expansions of “innovation” at the Department of Veterans Affairs, and restoration of more benefits to other-than-honorable dischargees—O’Rourke’s campaign on Monday announced a “war tax” on non-military households.

Read more at: https://newrepublic.com/article/154293/beto-orourkes-war-tax-classic-democratic-militarism

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Let's take the natural extension of making non-fighting Americans pay the cost of those who fight.

It is the Reparations argument:  You and I do not own slaves or were a slave, but our ancestors were, so those who were owners pay those whose ancestors were slaves.

If you and I are not in the military but your ancestors were, then we should be paid, too.

Similar argument.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:22:21 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington