Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Trump: I do not need congressional approval to strike Iran  (Read 395 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
EXCLUSIVE: Trump: I do not need congressional approval to strike Iran
By Saagar Enjeti and Jordan Fabian - 06/24/19 06:56 PM EDT

President Trump told Hill.TV in an exclusive interview Monday that he does not need congressional approval to strike Iran.

When asked if he believes he has the authority to initiate military action against Iran without first going to Congress, Trump said, "I do."

"But we’ve been keeping Congress abreast of what we’re doing ... and I think it’s something they appreciate," he said in an exclusive interview outside the Oval Office. "I do like keeping them abreast, but I don’t have to do it legally."

"We were pretty close to maybe making a decision to strike. Then I decided not to do it. Nobody went out, by the way. I was going to make that decision by a certain time, and I decided not to do it because it wasn’t really proportional," Trump added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/450117-trump-i-do-not-need-congressional-approval-to-strike-iran
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

Impeachable Offense!  Impeachable Offense!

Offline libertybele

The War Powers Act allows the President without Congressional authorization to commit armed forces to military action but it also requires him to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing those forces and prohibits armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, and allows a 30 day withdrawal period.

The Constitution states that only Congress can declare war. 

My question is, because of the War Powers Act, can they stop him?? I would say yes, as Pelosi seems to always get her way. 

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/war-powers-act
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The War Powers Act allows the President without Congressional authorization to commit armed forces to military action but it also requires him to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing those forces and prohibits armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, and allows a 30 day withdrawal period.

The Constitution states that only Congress can declare war. 

My question is, because of the War Powers Act, can they stop him?? I would say yes, as Pelosi seems to always get her way. 

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/war-powers-act

LOL. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
LOL.

What's funny?  That Nancy gets her way or that the President has the authority to strike Iran?  We can't let them get away with this.  The other day Trump was coming across weak when he was going to strike and called it off.  Different story today.  But just like you can't have empty rhetoric about the border you can't have empty rhetoric about military strikes either.  If you talk big you better follow through.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

He also doesn't need congressional approval to do nothing about it and go back to watching the Gorilla Channel.  :pop41: