Author Topic: He’ll pitch when he’s blue in the face  (Read 778 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
He’ll pitch when he’s blue in the face
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:52:56 pm »
Now you know that even a broken smeller won't stop Max Scherzer from making you stink.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/06/20/hell-pitch-when-hes-blue-in-the-face/

Eat right, exercise, and you, too, can throw shutout
innings through a black eye and a face left swollen from a
bunt richochet . . .

The following shutout was brought to you in living colour on Max TV. There really is someone who’ll pitch until and when he’s blue in the face.

A bunting accident during Tuesday batting practise left the Nationals’ righthander looking as though he’d been foolish enough to throw the old Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In catch phrase “Sock it to me!” at an inebriated hit man on a stool at the local tavern.

The ball Scherzer bunted ricocheted hard into his otherwise playful looking face, the face that looks like he’ll bust you on the corner one moment but have trouble holding back his snickering when the mouse he slipped into your pocket crawls into your uniform jersey and up your stomach and chest and around your neck.

I didn’t just pull that out of the floppy clown hat I don’t own. Hall of Famer Warren Spahn used to pull gags like that on his teammates during his pitching days. Spahn and his running mate Lew Burdette might also hire limousines to bring to the ballpark opposing hitters against whom they were having particular success of late. (Speculation has it that Joe Gariagiola may have cost the two a small fortune at one time.)

Wearing his flag-blue Nationals home alternate merely accented Scherzer’s battered appearance. That normally playful face is accented going in by individual eye colour, one blue and one brown. After the errant practice bunt smashed into him, leaving him a shiner that surrounded his right eye and left the upper right side of his face to look like someone planted a baseball into it, the wags said he’d be the first pitcher to take the mound with three eye colours.

“Trust me,” said Max Scherzer after Wednesday’s doubleheader against the Phillies, “this thing looks a lot worse than it actually is.”

By the time Scherzer and his mates finished what they’d started, a doubleheader sweep—winning the first game 6-2, before Scherzer’s handiwork fed a 2-0 nightcap win—the only ones looking like they’d taken a punch in the phiz were the Phillies themselves. Why, even the Nats’ infamously rickety bullpen didn’t lay Scherzer’s four-hit, ten-punchout jewel to waste, after all.

They’d better not have. Scherzer worked with deadly efficiency, getting twenty first pitch strikes, fourteen called strikes, 24 swinging strikes, and threw strikes 66 percent of the time Wednesday night. Between Scherzer, Wander Suero, and Sean Doolittle, the Nats kept the Phillies hitless five times with men on second or better, and the worst knock Scherzer had to shake off was a leadoff double to Phillies second baseman Cesar Hernandez in the top of the seventh.

“I felt zero pain,” Scherzer said after the Nats banked the nightcap. “There’s been plenty of other injuries where I felt a lot of pain and I’ve had to pitch through. I’ll hang my hat on those starts, but tonight I felt zero pain. This is part of what you have to do. You take the ball every fifth time. That’s my responsibility to the team, to make sure I always post, and I knew I could post tonight.”

Scherzer probably wasn’t that worried when Hernandez rammed that double. Striking out the side to follow immediately was proof enough, but this season Scherzer is one of the few pitchers who’s more effective when he begins to see a lineup the third time than when he sees it the first time.

The first time around this year, opposing teams so far have a .700 OPS against him despite his 15/1 strikeout-to-walk rate that first go-round. The third—.584 OPS. And he’s also one of the few pitchers who gets deadlier after he passes 100 pitches. Scherzer threw 117 pitches Wednesday night. Opposing batters already hit a measly .222 against him when he’s between pitches 76-100; after 100, they only hit .143.

He’s doing far better in those regards this season than he’s done for his entire stellar career to date: lifetime, the OPS against him when he faces a lineup the third time around is 51 points higher (.669) than when he faces it the first time around (.618); and, also lifetime, the other guys hit .242 against him between pitches 76-100 and .187 after pitch 100.

Philadelphia’s Jake Arrieta was the guy you felt a little sorry for against Scherzer. He wasn’t a Scherzer-like strikeout machine and he’s never really been that kind of strikeout machine, but he worked six solid innings blemished only by the full-count bomb Brian Dozier sent over the left field fence with two out in the bottom of the second.

“Going out there and throwing,” Scherzer went on to say, “the only thing I had to deal with was the swelling underneath the eye. It was kind of jiggling around, and so in warm-ups I just had to get used to knowing what it was feeling like to throw the ball and just have that swelling.”

Far as Arrieta was concerned, Scherzer could have taken the mound with his head re-attached by neck bolts and still proven a tough customer. “We have ran into him a couple of times. That’s just what he does,” the Phillies righthander said. “He is tough to square up, and he is throwing three or four pitches for strikes with electric stuff. Just a tough one.”

Phillies reliever Pat Neshek in the eighth had the honour of surrendering a 1-0 bomb to Victor Robles in the bottom of the eighth. And he became the guy you really felt sorry for. Less than a week after returning from three weeks on the injured list with a shoulder strain, Neshek strained his left hamstring a couple of batters after Robles teed off and looks to be returning to the IL.

Legs are as important to pitching as arms. Faces? Well, Hall of Famer Yogi Berra once said all you had to do in this racket was hit the ball and he’d never seen anyone hit one with his face.

Scherzer, who inadvertently hit one with his face in a batting practice round, can say he’s got the proof that, in the pitching racket, all you have to do is throw the ball, and he’s never seen anyone throw one with his face.
--------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Freya
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@TomSea
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: He’ll pitch when he’s blue in the face
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:16:35 pm »
Great work, @EasyAce !

His last eleven starts are all "quality starts", and he has an ERA under 2.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:57:01 pm »
@EasyAce
Nice article.

@DCPatriot
I thought about you when the news broke yesterday.
I thought, oh no, DC's going lose his mind, but Scherzer didn't miss his turn.
Good deal, I like it when someone steps up.
May be this could be a motivator to the team.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:40:29 pm »
@EasyAce
Nice article.

@DCPatriot
I thought about you when the news broke yesterday.
I thought, oh no, DC's going lose his mind, but Scherzer didn't miss his turn.
Good deal, I like it when someone steps up.
May be this could be a motivator to the team.

I watched the bunt attempt.....he was careless holding that bat perpendicular instead of horizontal.  Bet he won't do THAT again!

@GrouchoTex     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 12:15:35 pm »
I watched the bunt attempt.....he was careless holding that bat perpendicular instead of horizontal.  Bet he won't do THAT again!

@GrouchoTex     :beer:

LOL, I hadn't seen the footage.
Yep, that doesn't work too well when you hold the bat vertically.
 :beer:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 12:26:48 pm »
This series made the Nats look like NL East leaders and the Phillies like they're contending to beat the Marlins for their position... :shrug:

Base running mistakes are costing them huge...

I think there's currently about 9-11 players on IL, two that probably hurt the the most are McCutcheon and Seranthony.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 03:24:47 pm »
This series made the Nats look like NL East leaders and the Phillies like they're contending to beat the Marlins for their position... :shrug:

Base running mistakes are costing them huge...
@SZonian
Oddly, manager Kapler decided not to bench Jean Segura for not running hard enough on something that might have ended up a double for him against Scherzer. But Kapler's reasoning makes sense in a sense:

Jean is one of our eight best players. I don’t think taking one of our eight best players and our shortstop out of our lineup is what’s best for the Philadelphia Phillies. I told him that we’re going to address not just him but other players in the clubhouse and we’re going to talk about the highest level of effort and talk about how we can’t win every night but we can win the game of give-a-[hoot] and be undefeated in that category. Then we can protect the Phillies by putting the best lineup together on a nightly basis and not think about making ourselves feel better by sending a message.

Joe and Jane Fan might scream blue murder, but apparently it worked: on Thursday, the un-benched Segura tied the game at three with a home run. For all the good the homer did; the Nats went on to score four in the sixth on a pair of bombs of their own and won, 7-4.

I think there's currently about 9-11 players on IL, two that probably hurt the the most are McCutcheon and Seranthony.
They also lost Pat Neshek, reliever: he's going back on the IL, this time with a left hamstring strain. And that when he'd barely returned from the IL with a shoulder issue.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 04:33:22 am »
The Phils continue their AA play despite Nola's performance tonight...2-12 WRISP and no runs?  9999hair out0000

Bases loaded in the 4th with 2 outs and Mr. $330M man flies out on the 1st pitch?    :chairbang:

Runners on in the 4th-8th innings and not one scored?   **nononono*

And all this against the 3rd worst team in baseball...  9999hair out0000

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.