Author Topic: U.S. Holds All the Cards in the Showdown with Iran By Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 592 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   U.S. Holds All the Cards in the Showdown with Iran
By Victor Davis Hanson

June 20, 2019 6:30 AM

What worked during the Obama administration may not work now.

In May 2018, the Donald Trump administration withdrew the United States from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Iran, popularly known as the Iran nuclear deal.

The U.S. then ramped up sanctions on the Iranian theocracy to try to ensure that it stopped nuclear enrichment. The Trump administration also hoped a strapped Iran would become less capable of funding terrorist operations in the Middle East and beyond, proxy wars in the Persian Gulf, and the opportune harassment of ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

The sanctions are clearly destroying an already weak Iranian economy. Iran is now suffering from negative economic growth, massive unemployment, and record inflation.

A desperate Iranian government is using surrogates to send missiles into Saudi Arabia while its forces attack ships in the Gulf of Oman.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/06/us-iran-showdown-american-position-strong/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

This certainly doesn't have to be some boots on the ground operation. If they do something stupid, make them pay. Sink one of their boats or something with a drone. What are they going to do?
If they retaliate, sink a few more boats or a building full of jihadis in Tehran disappears.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This just might be an emerging model for how to handle the entire muslim Middle East.

The Western World has been kow-towing to muslims for far too long, simply for its oil.

For far too long have we been accepting their creeping ideology into our values system, and looked the other way on muslim-sanctioned terrorism rather than to confront the source of this terrorism, Islam.

The West has the real power, and is too hesitant to use it.  This is perceived a weakness for exploitation by them.  We need to cease that and demand Muslims accommodate us rather than the other way around.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis

(1988
)"By the end of the operation, U.S. air and surface units had sunk, or severely damaged, half of Iran's operational fleet."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline rustynail

"When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, they will naturally want to side with the strong horse."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, they will naturally want to side with the strong horse."

.....okay, and how do you think that applies here?

Offline Absalom

Piety and sanctimony may get one into heaven but it castrates a nation/state.
The Roman and British Empires understood this reality in their bones but our political
schmucks do not and never will, being intellectually constipated and addicted to stupidity.
Alexander demolished the Persian Empire in a Day at Arbela some 24 centuries
ago; yet outnumbered 5 to 1. W/the will, a repeat of this would take us about 2 hours!!!

Offline rustynail

.....okay, and how do you think that applies here?
Our resolve could encourage the Iranian opposition.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, but there has been little sign of American resolve for many, many years.

Yes, but there has been little sign of American resolve for many, many years.
Two fights against Iraq and one against Afghanistan is more than 'many, many years' I guess, or do you think we did not have resolve for those?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Two fights against Iraq and one against Afghanistan is more than 'many, many years' I guess, or do you think we did not have resolve for those?

It's not what I think; I had multiple family members in each of those war zones.  No, we did not go in to win; it was not clear what our goals were.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

We were told it was to win, but Bush43 lost his resolve and then handed it to Obastard.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
II doubt that our CIAhas the competence.

Their successes are few, and failures are many.

Ithink the periodic claims of unrest, claims Iran  is ripe for upheaval, may be self-serving CIA BS, to get funds, personnel, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

It's not what I think; I had multiple family members in each of those war zones.  No, we did not go in to win; it was not clear what our goals were.
Then we are left with the definition of "winning".

Would it be fair to say that if the definition was regime change that at least the combined excursions into Iraq was a win compared, say to Vietnam?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Then we are left with the definition of "winning".

Would it be fair to say that if the definition was regime change that at least the combined excursions into Iraq was a win compared, say to Vietnam?

We had mission creep in Iraq.  Once we kicked the guy out, we set about "nation building," which always ends poorly.  Dittos Afghan.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

We (the American population at large) did. 

For two or three weeks at the onset of each.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

We had mission creep in Iraq.  Once we kicked the guy out, we set about "nation building," which always ends poorly.  Dittos Afghan.
We exhibited 'resolve' on the former and not as much on the latter.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We exhibited 'resolve' on the former and not as much on the latter.

Whatever resolve we may have had evaporated when we elected a Moslem name "Hussein" president.  9/11 was erased by that moment.
I will NOT comply.