Author Topic: Iran says Revolutionary Guard shoots down US drone  (Read 2503 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Iran says Revolutionary Guard shoots down US drone
« on: June 20, 2019, 04:00:43 am »
Iran says Revolutionary Guard shoots down US drone
State media says Global Hawk hit when it entered Iranian airspace in southern Iran’s Hormozgan province; US military declines to comment
By AP   

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency said Thursday that the country’s Revolutionary Guard has shot down a US drone. The US military declined to immediately comment.

IRNA said Thursday the drone was hit when it entered Iranian airspace near the Kouhmobarak district in southern Iran’s Hormozgan province.

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency said Thursday that the country’s Revolutionary Guard has shot down a US drone. The US military declined to immediately comment.

IRNA said Thursday the drone was hit when it entered Iranian airspace near the Kouhmobarak district in southern Iran’s Hormozgan province.

IRNA, citing the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, identified the drone as an RQ-4 Global Hawk.

Read more at: https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-says-revolutionary-guard-shoots-down-us-drone/?utm_source=iran-says-revolutionary-guard-shoots-down-us-drone&utm_medium=desktop-browser&utm_campaign=desktop-notifications

Okay, a few things might be happening around the region right now. Nothing overly serious but monitoring it.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Iran says Revolutionary Guard shoots down US drone
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:58:24 am »
Thanks for the data on your coastal air defense system.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

rangerrebew

US Navy drone shot down by Iranian missile over Strait of Hormuz: source
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:16:19 am »
US Navy drone shot down by Iranian missile over Strait of Hormuz: source
By Lucas Tomlinson, Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

Graham: Tensions with Iran are getting more dangerous by the day

A U.S. high-altitude drone was shot down Thursday by an Iranian surface-to-air missile over the Strait of Hormuz amid heightened tensions in the region after last week’s attacks on two oil tankers, a source told Fox News.

A commander for Iran's Revolutionary Guard said the shooting sends `a clear message' to the U.S. He said while Iran has no intention of war with anyone, it's "ready for war."

The U.S. Navy’s MQ-4C drone, , which has the same wingspan as a Boeing 737, was over international airspace at the time and about 17 miles from Iran, the source said. Iran also tried to shoot down another drone, but missed, according to U.S. officials.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-navy-drone-shot-down-by-iranian-missile-over-strait-of-hormuz-source

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 01:02:17 pm »
Thanks for the data on your coastal air defense system.

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 01:12:40 pm »
Topics merged.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 01:19:56 pm »
Some commercial traffic, out of Dubai, in the area. I sincerely hope there’s no mishaps.

https://www.flightradar24.com/25.57,56.57/6
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:20:44 pm by edpc »

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:53 pm »

FAKE PHOTO?

When revealing Iran had shot down the drone, the country's state-run IRNA news agency released a picture of an aircraft appearing to spiral towards Earth.

It claimed the image showed a RQ-4 Global Hawk, a US military drone, being blasted out the sky over Iranian territory.

However the same photograph - albeit in a wider crop - had previously appeared in a two-year-old report of a spy drone being shot down over Yemen in 2017.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9334596/iran-shoots-down-us-spy-drone-tensions-gulf/#

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 01:53:35 pm »
I would expect the wreckage has already been located and secured. And hopefully some consensus is being obtained from allies (if we have any) for a quick and proportionate response. 

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 01:55:33 pm »

FAKE PHOTO?

When revealing Iran had shot down the drone, the country's state-run IRNA news agency released a picture of an aircraft appearing to spiral towards Earth.

It claimed the image showed a RQ-4 Global Hawk, a US military drone, being blasted out the sky over Iranian territory.

However the same photograph - albeit in a wider crop - had previously appeared in a two-year-old report of a spy drone being shot down over Yemen in 2017.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9334596/iran-shoots-down-us-spy-drone-tensions-gulf/#
It looks real, just not a pic of a Global Hawk.  The "bulge" in the nose of that pic makes think it's an MQ-9 Reaper, not a Global Hawk.  Reaper nose is broader/wider, Global Hawk is humped upwards...plus, Global Hawks don't have anything mounted/attached to their wings, that pic clearly shows something there, like a Reaper would have.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 01:57:24 pm »
Looks like it may be time for Raytheon stocks to go up a bit...(they make the Tomahawk cruise missiles).   :whistle:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Iran shoots down US drone
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 02:25:14 pm »
Iran shoots down US drone
By Kyle Balluck and Tal Axelrod - 06/20/19 06:02 AM EDT

The U.S. military confirmed Thursday morning that Iran shot down a U.S. drone, heightening already raised tensions between Washington and Tehran.

U.S. Central Command (Centcom) said an Iranian surface-to-air missile system shot down the drone in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz in an "unprovoked attack." It also denied Iranian claims that the drone was over Hormozgan Province in southern Iran.

Centcom identified the drone as an RQ-4 Global Hawk that "provides real-time intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions (ISR) over vast ocean and coastal regions."

The Northrup Grumman-made Global Hawk, valued at $130 million, is considered the Navy's most advanced high-altitude drone.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/449459-iran-shoots-down-us-drone
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 02:38:14 pm »
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Iran made a very big mistake!

9:15 AM - Jun 20, 2019

I get the feeling their escalations are baiting us to strike them. I’m guessing our response will be cyber-based and not direct military action.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 02:46:14 pm »
...I get the feeling their escalations are baiting us to strike them....

I agree.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 02:53:32 pm »
I agree.l

What do you suppose is their motive? I believe the sanctions have inflicted a lot of economic damage and they’re hoping conflict will drive up oil prices, so people here feel it, too. The economy has been a strong point for Trump, so I think they’re trying to kneecap him on that issue.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:54:46 pm by edpc »

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 02:59:47 pm »

What do you suppose is their motive? I believe the sanctions have inflicted a lot of economic damage and they’re hoping conflict will drive up oil prices, so people here feel it, too. The economy has been a strong point for Trump, so I think they’re trying to kneecap him on that issue.

I doubt they attack drones and ships in the Persian Gulf hoping to hurt the US economy.

If any return attack occurs, I look for them to use that to attack Israel, Just as Iraq did in the Gulf War.  They hope that attacking Israel will bring Arab countries to their side.

They want to gain power as did Iraq.  But after my time living Middle East, I understand many of these people don't have rational thought process from our point of view.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 03:01:48 pm »
Joyce Karam
‏Verified account @Joyce_Karam
6m6 minutes ago

Joyce Karam Retweeted Heather Caygle

Congress Leaders to be briefed on #Iran Situation in 7 min. (Pelosi). They were also briefed yesterday

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
45m45 minutes ago

Iran made a very big mistake!
14,531 replies 15,365 retweets 43,950 likes

BLASTED OUT THE SKY Iran accused of using FAKE photo to ‘prove’ US drone was over its territory – as America slams ‘unprovoked’ attack

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9337518/us-slams-irans-unprovoked-attack-on-spy-drone-as-it-doubles-down-on-claim-aircraft-was-shot-down-in-international-airspace/

This just says the photo we are being shown is an old photo used before. That this photo is an old one of what happened over Yemen some time ago.

I still don't want to go to war over a downed drone.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:04:04 pm by TomSea »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 03:08:41 pm »
Netanyahu to Israel's enemies: We have power to destroy, do not test us
Jerusalem Post, Jun 19, 2019

[…]

“I hear our neighbors from the north, south and east threatening to destroy us,” he said. “I say to our enemies: The IDF has a very large power of annihilation. Do not try us.”

Netanyahu’s comments came amid an increase in regional tensions, including between the US and Iran in the Persian Gulf. The massive exercise incorporated all branches of the military, including the use of the F-35 stealth fighter recently acquired from the US.

More:  https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Benjamin-Netanyahu/Netanyahu-to-enemies-We-have-power-of-annihilation-do-not-test-us-593003

This is a really good time for Netanyahu to give some of the "quiet" he's always asking for.

We really don't need him goading anyone at this time … because in the end it will be us doing the fighting.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:10:04 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 03:11:38 pm »
I doubt they attack drones and ships in the Persian Gulf hoping to hurt the US economy.

If any return attack occurs, I look for them to use that to attack Israel, Just as Iraq did in the Gulf War.  They hope that attacking Israel will bring Arab countries to their side.

They want to gain power as did Iraq.  But after my time living Middle East, I understand many of these people don't have rational thought process from our point of view.

Militarily, they are overmatched by Israel or the United States, on their own. Together, they would be in a hopeless situation. That makes me wonder about the progress of their nuclear program. I don’t think they would attempt something so bold, without an ace in the hole. It seems rather peculiar that right after the large nuclear test, by North Korea, the Iranians began to ramp up their ballistic missile testing. They’ve had a history of cooperation, over the years.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:12:28 pm by edpc »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 03:14:08 pm »
Just a counter point as I read a while ago,  say Russia has a drone near US territory but not in US airspace. So, we wouldn't shoot it down?

And hopefully, satellite photos will tell us where this drone was.

To me, it sounds like we are going to respond somehow.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:15:25 pm by TomSea »

Online rustynail

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 03:18:37 pm »
Just a counter point as I read a while ago,  say Russia has a drone near US territory but not in US airspace. So, we wouldn't shoot it down?

The Russian drone 'might' be covered under the Treaty on Open Skies.

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »

No, we wouldn’t. They routinely send bombers to test our response. We don’t fire up on them. You’ve got us confused with the Soviets and KAL 007.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 03:20:11 pm »

To me, it sounds like we are going to respond somehow.

As we damned well should do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 03:28:33 pm »
The heat will be to do something IF, Iran really expands their nuke program, that is more enriched uranium and the like which is suppose to happen within days.

Offline edpc

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 03:29:06 pm »
This is a really good time for Netanyahu to give some of the "quiet" he's always asking for.

We really don't need him goading anyone at this time … because in the end it will be us doing the fighting.

It’s a good time for you to go on mute, as well. Ever heard of Hezbollah, the cross-border raids and rocket attacks in 2006? In the wake of that conflict, Lebanon invited the Iranian backed terror group into their political system. There’s also the more recent establishment of military personnel around Damascus and the Golan Heights. For years, they have been moving equipment from Syria, into the Bekkah Valley. How about the pursuit of a nuclear weapon, the attempted construction of a reactor in Syria, combined with the regular threats of destroying Israel? For chrissake, @Right_in_Virginia. Only you would think that Netanyahu is the one being provocative.   *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:30:23 pm by edpc »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 03:36:47 pm »

It’s a good time for you to go on mute, as well.

Fine, I'll go mute. 

But mark my previous words.