Author Topic: McConnell teases Senate vote on emergency border funding while House conservatives keep pressure on  (Read 204 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
McConnell teases Senate vote on emergency border funding while House conservatives keep pressure on Dems
Nate Madden · June 17, 2019

As the crisis at the southern border drags on, congressional Republicans in both chambers are putting pressure on their Democratic colleagues to give President Trump the emergency funding he’s requested to deal with it.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced Monday morning on Fox News that he would bring up the administration’s $4.5 billion emergency border funding for a vote, putting Senate Democrats on record.

“I’m going to bring it up free-standing next week and see if they really aren’t interested in dealing with this mass of humanity that we have to take care of at the border,” McConnell said on Fox & Friends. “What’s the objection? This is not about the wall but about the humanitarian crisis.”

The emergency border funding request contains no money for the wall or for border security, but merely requests resources for overburdened federal immigration officials and departments to better deal with “the immediate humanitarian crisis,” as one administration official put it, precipitated by the surge of people claiming asylum at America’s southern border.

The measure includes $3.3 billion for humanitarian resources like diapers, clothing, food, and bed space for unaccompanied alien children (UACs), while $1.1 billion would go toward operations and support to address the crisis: detention beds, personnel costs, and human smuggling investigations. $178 million would go to things like technology upgrades.

However, that request went out weeks ago, and Congress hasn’t yet acted on it despite the fact that federal facilities are unquestionably overwhelmed, the executive branch says. 

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/mcconnell-teases-senate-vote-emergency-border-funding-house-conservatives-keep-pressure-dems/

NO!  Billions to care for the people who shouldn't even be here.  Have their governments send food and diapers.  There isn't a single thing in this to stop this from continuing.  Next year they will want to double the amount.

Better yet send them home to get their own diapers.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:59:00 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I do not like hearing about overcrowding in our facilities.  I don't like hearing that they are unsanitary or people suffering.  But this is an outrageous amount of money they are asking for which just supports the problem instead of stopping it.  The problem I have is that it is billions of dollars and there is nothing in it to stop this.  I could support emergency funds if they went along with measures to assure that this overcrowding ends now.  But it won't.  You throw that kind of money you are expecting long term and increasing humanitarian crisis.  Thats lots of diapers.

And the Mexican President has said the troops are not to stop illegal immigration but provide safety.

Mexican president says new troops not intended to stop illegal immigrants

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/7/lopez-obrador-says-deployed-mexican-troops-are-not/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:59:44 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I was thinking that Chip Roy was someone who wanted to stop the madness until I read this article.  Take the enormity of 3.3 billion dollars.   3.3 billion for humanitarian.  Could you split that up and give it to needy Americans?  We're talking about 3.3 more billion dollars spent on illegal immigrants.  I see at the least a few million to get us through the emergency and then we must do something to stop it.  Not assure that we have the funds to take care of them.