Author Topic: Poverty in the U.S. Was Plummeting—Until Lyndon Johnson Declared War On It  (Read 712 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Poverty in the U.S. Was Plummeting—Until Lyndon Johnson Declared War On It

Yet again, government intervention hurts those it is intended to help.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Daniel J. Mitchell

One of the more elementary observations about economics is that a nation’s prosperity is determined in part by the quantity and quality of labor and capital. These “factors of production” are combined to generate national income.
I frequently grouse that punitive tax policies discourage capital. There’s less incentive to invest, after all, if the government imposes extra layers of tax on income that is saved and invested.

Bad tax laws also discourage labor. High marginal tax rates penalize people for being productive, and this can be especially counterproductive for entrepreneurship and innovation.

Still, we shouldn’t overlook how government discourages low-income people from being productively employed. But the problem is more on the spending side of the fiscal equation.

The Welfare State's Effect on the Poor

In Thursday's Wall Street Journal, John Early and Phil Gramm share some depressing numbers about growing dependency in the United States:

During the 20 years before the War on Poverty was funded, the portion of the nation living in poverty had dropped to 14.7% from 32.1%. Since 1966, the first year with a significant increase in antipoverty spending, the poverty rate reported by the Census Bureau has been virtually unchanged…Transfers targeted to low-income families increased in real dollars from an average of $3,070 per person in 1965 to $34,093 in 2016…Transfers now constitute 84.2% of the disposable income of the poorest quintile of American households and 57.8% of the disposable income of lower-middle-income households. These payments also make up 27.5% of America’s total disposable income...

https://fee.org/articles/poverty-in-the-us-was-plummeting-until-lyndon-johnson-declared-war-on-it/?fbclid=IwAR03SCnXKl9jNnmBzum1hS_I50OxEaGlwCfZPpzvL0ck2ATof5ZILqZ7LmI
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online rustynail

And Black Families were more intact than whites.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Probably so!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goatprairie

In regard to the infamous quote by LBJ that in passing the 1964 civil rights bill he supposedly said "I'll have those n*ggers voting Dem for the next two hundred years."
Snopes checked it out but couldn't say if it was true or false.
They did admit LBJ had a long history of using the n word and addressing black people shabbily.
Robert MacMillan, a former Air Force steward, claims to have heard Johnson utter the quote. Snopes tried to throw a little shade at MacMillan but couldn't completely reject his testimony.
Others who were around Johnson many times knew about his flagrant use of the n word. For one thing they knew Johnson often referred to the civil rights bill in private as the "n*gger bill."
More than likely he uttered the quote. Liberals just don't like to accept it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:32:52 pm by goatprairie »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
When it comes to any story negatively affecting race or liberal issues, snopes will spin it and white wash it.  They don't even try to be objective about it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

Yet again, government intervention hurts those it is intended to help.

It was never intended to help.  It was intended to enslave.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

Yes, intended to enslave and ensure the DEM vote.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

Government programs encourage poverty. And breaking up the traditional family doesn’t help
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
In regard to the infamous quote by LBJ that in passing the 1964 civil rights bill he supposedly said "I'll have those n*ggers voting Dem for the next two hundred years."
Snopes checked it out but couldn't say if it was true or false.
They did admit LBJ had a long history of using the n word and addressing black people shabbily.
Robert MacMillan, a former Air Force steward, claims to have heard Johnson utter the quote. Snopes tried to throw a little shade at MacMillan but couldn't completely reject his testimony.
Others who were around Johnson many times knew about his flagrant use of the n word. For one thing they knew Johnson often referred to the civil rights bill in private as the "n*gger bill."
More than likely he uttered the quote. Liberals just don't like to accept it.

@goatprairie

Just so you know, Snopes is a Soros funded husband and wife operation run out of an apartment in Los Angeles, California.  They ain't worth spit!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

:amen:

Welcome to the federal plantation.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I think he was speaking about the for public consumption purpose vs the real one.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

When it comes to any story negatively affecting race or liberal issues, snopes will spin it and white wash it.  They don't even try to be objective about it.

Snopes consists of two Leftist losers in their basement issuing “facts” to cover for democrat talking points.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 06:53:10 pm by aligncare »

Offline Applewood

That may well be true.  And even the ones where the father was absent -- there was a strong mother, determined that their kids would have a better life.   Often there were other strong father figures around to help.  I know this because I grew up close to a housing project and many of the kids who lived there went to the same school as I did. 

One of my classmates was a guy named Art, who grew up in that housing project.  Art's father left when he and his siblings were kids.  His mother though was one tough cookie.  She raised Art and his siblings right.  Art could not hang with any unsavory types.  He and his siblings went to church every Sunday and were active in the church's charitable endeavors.  Education was paramount in that house.  Art ultimately received an MBA and is a successful businessman in Atlanta, married with children and grandchildren.  No gubmint handouts for this guy. 

Today's poor are being taught that they are entitled to any "free stuff" they can get and they don't want to work for it.  The parents, if they are around, have basically abdicated their responsibility for raising their kids and turned them over to the state.  And as we know, government can't do anything right, so how do we expect them to raise children?  If we want to fix poverty, we have to get the state out of it.  The strong family has to come back.  Parents have to take responsibility for their kids. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Today's poor are being taught that they are entitled to any "free stuff" they can get and they don't want to work for it.  The parents, if they are around, have basically abdicated their responsibility for raising their kids and turned them over to the state.  And as we know, government can't do anything right, so how do we expect them to raise children?  If we want to fix poverty, we have to get the state out of it.  The strong family has to come back.  Parents have to take responsibility for their kids.

Well that is it in a nutshell.  it took 5 or so generations since LBJ program for the intercity/urban black culture to change for the worse.  Hard work and to better ones self and lot in life is frown upon. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Rusty wrote:
"And Black Families were more intact than whites."

Sounds nice, but no, they weren't.
https://www.brookings.edu/research/an-analysis-of-out-of-wedlock-births-in-the-united-states/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well,  Duh! Subsidize something and you'll have more of it.

We have the fattest poor people on the planet.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis