Author Topic: Texas governor signs controversial 'Save Chick-fil-A' bill into law  (Read 381 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Fake Headline.  Nothing "Controversial"  at all.  More states should do the same.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday signed the so-called “Save Chick-fil-A” bill into law, a new provision that supporters say defends the fast-food restaurant and protects religious freedoms. Opponents have argued it discriminates against the LGBT community.

Abbott, a Republican, did not hold a public signing ceremony, but he had signaled his support through a tweet a few weeks ago, DallasNews.com reported.

On May 20, Abbott tweeted a picture of a Chick-fil-A soft drink in front of a laptop showing a news article with the headline “'Save Chick-fil-A' bill heads to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s desk” and wrote, “So. What are the odds I’ll sign the Chick-fil-A bill? I’ll let you know after dinner. @ChickfilA #txlege”

The new law stops the government from taking unfavorable action against a business or person for contributing to religious organizations.

The bill was fast-tracked in the GOP-controlled legislature and was introduced after the San Antonio City Council blocked Chick-fil-A from opening a location in the city’s airport because of reported donations to organizations that protest gay marriage and other LGBT issues.

Some council members said they were taking a stand over Chick-fil-A’s values and the fact that the owners have donated to anti-LGBT causes.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/texas-governor-save-chick-fil-a-bill-law
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Texas governor signs controversial 'Save Chick-fil-A' bill into law
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 07:15:01 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:43:59 pm »
Controversial only to rabid leftists.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:34 pm »

Yeppers.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:25:03 pm »

888high58888  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 01:27:40 am »
I expect the law to be challenged in the courts and probably some liberal judge in Austin will put the kibosh on it.  But I applaud Governor Abbott and the state legislature anyway.  It's just a shame that government has to enact a law to protect a business from a noisy minority of malcontents determined to drive that business into bankruptcy. 

By the way, I thought the FAA was looking into this and other similar incidents where CFA was forbidden to open locations at DFW and a few other airports.  Being a government operation, I guess the FAA, as most government agencies do, has swept these investigations under the rug.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 01:41:10 am »
I expect the law to be challenged in the courts and probably some liberal judge in Austin will put the kibosh on it.  But I applaud Governor Abbott and the state legislature anyway.  It's just a shame that government has to enact a law to protect a business from a noisy minority of malcontents determined to drive that business into bankruptcy. 

By the way, I thought the FAA was looking into this and other similar incidents where CFA was forbidden to open locations at DFW and a few other airports.  Being a government operation, I guess the FAA, as most government agencies do, has swept these investigations under the rug.

In TX it reaches beyond the Airports.  No city like say Austin, or San Antonio that is currently pro hate for Christians now can fend off the fagotry

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 03:37:16 am »

You are interpreting what goes on at the federal level to be similar to that here in Texas.

Doesn't work that way.  Texas is a sovereign entity that decides its own laws and the judicial does not attempt to step on the toes of legislature and governor that signs into law statutes like what happens at the federal level.

Why?  Because, unlike federal judges, state judges here are not appointed for life, bur for specific terms and elected, not selected.

And cities exist solely at the discretion of the state, whereas the states do not exist at the discretion of the federal.  If a city gets out of bounds, the state can spank it, and spank it hard.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington