Author Topic: Elvis Costello Named OBE: 'It Confirms My Long-Held Suspicion Nobody Really Listens To The Words'  (Read 1334 times)

Online corbe

Elvis Costello Named OBE: 'It Confirms My Long-Held Suspicion Nobody Really Listens To The Words'

Bonnie Stiernberg

20 hrs ago

Elvis Costello has been named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for his services to music, and though he's "happy to accept this very surprising honour," the legendary singer-songwriter posted a note to his website admitting that he had mixed feelings about receiving the distinction.

Costello's music has often been critical of British imperialism and politics, particularly on tracks like "Oliver's Army" or "Tramp the Dirt Down." He explained in his note that he decided to accept the honor after discussing it with his mother.

"I began my call by telling my Mam that the Prime Minister, Mrs. May, had put my name forward for an O.B.E," he writes. "'But she’s rubbish,' Lillian cut in before I could complete the news. Well, that aside, I said, 'Of course, I won’t be accepting the award'. I didn’t get much further with that statement either. I listened carefully to my mother’s argument that if something is deserved then one must be gracious in acceptance. So, as a good lad, who likes to do what will make his Mam most proud, I knew that I must put old doubts and enmities aside and muster what little grace I possess."

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/elvis-costello-named-obe-it-confirms-my-long-held-suspicion-nobody-really-listens-to-the-words/ar-AACy8S2?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Qnt5bx1OI

Elvis Costello - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I like his wife too. Rode a ferry from her hometown on Vancouver Island, across to the mainland.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

I like his wife too. Rode a ferry from her hometown on Vancouver Island, across to the mainland.

She is a cutie @truth_seeker

diana krall

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Has he ever had anything that would be considered a hit or had a commercial success?   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Quote from: The Article
"I began my call by telling my Mam that the Prime Minister, Mrs. May, had put my name forward for an O.B.E," he writes. "'But she’s rubbish,' Lillian cut in before I could complete the news. Well, that aside, I said, 'Of course, I won’t be accepting the award'. I didn’t get much further with that statement either. I listened carefully to my mother’s argument that if something is deserved then one must be gracious in acceptance. So, as a good lad, who likes to do what will make his Mam most proud, I knew that I must put old doubts and enmities aside and muster what little grace I possess."

Mam sounds very wise.  As much as she dislikes May, Elvis needs to be gracious enough to accept the honor.  Personally I'm getting tired of this rude bullshit of refusing to accept honors because the honoree hates the person bestowing the honor because of politics.  All the others behind assigning the honor are insulted. 

If a high school basketball team decided to award an honor to a player and it's refused because he doesn't like the coach, how does that make the rest of the team feel?

And I agree with the headline.  It's hard to fathom why they would bestow the honor in the first place.  They must not hear or read the lyrics.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Has he ever had anything that would be considered a hit or had a commercial success?

English or American?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
English or American?

African or European.  Unladen.  Nudge nundge.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
African or European.  Unladen.  Nudge nundge.

The Africans aren't migratory.
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The hell you say!.. lol

Well...they are if you stuff them by the hundreds into a Clipper Ship.  (God, please save me from that one....)
I will NOT comply.

Online corbe

Why do you Briefers always bring up the fact that it was the North that imported the great majority of Slaves to this Country?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Lone top-40 hit in the U.S. was "Every Day I Write the Book," #36 in 1983. He was much more successful in the UK, where 18 of his songs made the top 40.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Costello_discography

That's not counting his songwriting contributions to other artists.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Oh, wait. I just stumbled into a derailed thread. Sorry about that. Proceed with the derailment!

Online corbe

Elvis would approve of the ThreadJack.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Oh, wait. I just stumbled into a derailed thread. Sorry about that. Proceed with the derailment!

My fault, @jmyrlefuller.  I made a Bon Mot that was in really poor taste.
I will NOT comply.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Elvis would approve of the ThreadJack.
As would Costello.

Offline dfwgator

Lone top-40 hit in the U.S. was "Every Day I Write the Book," #36 in 1983. He was much more successful in the UK, where 18 of his songs made the top 40.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Costello_discography

That's not counting his songwriting contributions to other artists.

"Veronica" (co-written with Paul McCartney) was Costello's highest-charting Top 40 hit in the United States, peaking at No. 19 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.