Author Topic: University gives back $21.5M from donor who urged Alabama boycott over abortion law  (Read 394 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The University of Alabama board of trustees voted Friday to give back $21.5 million from a philanthropist who urged students to boycott the school over the state's controversial abortion law, and then promptly removed his name from the campus' law school named in his honor.

Hugh F. Culverhouse Jr. said the school was punishing him for urging students to consider other educational options in the state. He pledged last year to donate $26.5 million in all over four years --  in what would have been the largest donation in the school's 187-year history.

"I expected this response from UA," Culverhouse said in a statement to Fox News. "I will not allow my family's name to be associated with an educational system that advocates a state law which discriminates against women, disregards established federal law and violates our Constitution."
https://www.foxnews.com/us/university-will-give-back-21-5m-from-donor-who-urged-alabama-boycott-over-abortion-law

And they removed his name from their law school.

Roll Tide Roll
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Outstanding! Morality NOT for sale.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

Roll Tide
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Not only did Hugh Culverhouse SR own the worst team in the history of sports (The Tampa Bay Bucs), he also spawned a dickhead of a son.  if Hugh could go back in time and correct one mistake...wear a damn condom.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:04:10 am by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.