Author Topic: TV station ownership group to air national anthem every day, rerprising bygone tradition  (Read 749 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.abc12.com/content/news/510986662.html

ABC12 and its Gray Television sister stations are bringing back a tradition of playing the national anthem every day.

ABC12 and its Gray Television sister stations in 93 markets nationwide will reprise a tradition of playing the national anthem every day.

For years, television stations ended their broadcast day with the national anthem before going off the air during the overnight hours. You can watch ABC12's evening sign off from 1993 at the bottom of this story.

Now, Gray Television stations in 93 markets across the country will once again play The Star-Spangled Banner each day. The video at the top of this story shows what the new broadcast will look like.

A date has not been established for when ABC12 will begin broadcasting the national anthem again.

(Gray Television is the third-largest television station ownership group in the U.S. in terms of number of stations, behind only megaliths Sinclair Broadcast Group and Nexstar Media Group. Most of its stations are in rural areas.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Television
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
They own a station that covers my hometown and most of what has been said about returning to traditions has been positive.  Personally I'd like to see the "Test Patterns" again at sign-off! 

Most of its stations are in rural areas.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:50:41 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
They own a station that covers my hometown and most of what has been said about returning to traditions has been positive.  Personally I'd like to see the "Test Patterns" again at sign-off! 

Most of its stations are in rural areas.

Do stations even sign-off anymore?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Do stations even sign-off anymore?

Not for years.  I do think some reduce power like radio stations.  @txradioguy  or @Cyber Liberty might know if that still happens?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Not for years.  I do think some reduce power like radio stations.  @txradioguy  or @Cyber Liberty might know if that still happens?

AFAIK, there are still "Daytime" and "Evening" radio stations out there who have to shut down late nights.  I think TV stations always could broadcast 24 hours, but most small market stations didn't have the programming or advertising to justify it (syndicated programming costs $$).  Living in a large market for the past 40 years, I don't know what the small market situation is these days.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why is this considered bygone?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Why is this considered bygone?

For TV it was probably because TV stations don't sign on and off like they used to.  The larger reason is because leftists in control of the media hate the Anthem.  There will be SJW protests over this chain of stations.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
AFAIK, there are still "Daytime" and "Evening" radio stations out there who have to shut down late nights.  I think TV stations always could broadcast 24 hours, but most small market stations didn't have the programming or advertising to justify it (syndicated programming costs $$).  Living in a large market for the past 40 years, I don't know what the small market situation is these days.
That's mostly right.

The daytime-only stations are primarily on AM, just because the atmosphere does some weird things to AM (and shortwave, which is dying an unwarranted slow death) signals that it doesn't do to FM or TV signals. Any station is allowed to sign off during the overnight hours (technically, any time from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.).

Ever since the 21st century, though, these licenses (radio to an extent, but even moreso with television) have been gobbled up by a few huge companies, and with automation systems, there's no real point for an FM or TV station to sign off anymore. Gray is one of those companies. Go to almost any city with TV stations and you'll find that most, if not all, of the stations are held by a small number of huge companies. Sinclair and Nexstar are the big ones: their practices are almost predatory. Then you have the mid-sized ones: Tegna, Weigel and Scripps, for example, focus mainly on medium-sized markets. The major networks own stations, but mainly only in the big cities. Gray's one of the companies that focuses on the rest of the country.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That's mostly right.

The daytime-only stations are primarily on AM, just because the atmosphere does some weird things to AM (and shortwave, which is dying an unwarranted slow death) signals that it doesn't do to FM or TV signals. Any station is allowed to sign off during the overnight hours (technically, any time from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.).

Ever since the 21st century, though, these licenses (radio to an extent, but even moreso with television) have been gobbled up by a few huge companies, and with automation systems, there's no real point for an FM or TV station to sign off anymore. Gray is one of those companies. Go to almost any city with TV stations and you'll find that most, if not all, of the stations are held by a small number of huge companies. Sinclair and Nexstar are the big ones: their practices are almost predatory. Then you have the mid-sized ones: Tegna, Weigel and Scripps, for example, focus mainly on medium-sized markets. The major networks own stations, but mainly only in the big cities. Gray's one of the companies that focuses on the rest of the country.

I can agree with that.  My experience lays mostly with AM radio.  I've worked a couple of TV stations, but by then I was leaving the biz and didn't much care about the details.

For radio, filling the programming is easy with the automation but extra programming for TV stations comes with a higher price-tag, which is not a problem for the conglomerates you mention.  I still wonder if there are any independently owned small-market TV stations around?

The advent of 24-hour broadcasting and SJWs is killing the traditional playing of the National Anthem.
I will NOT comply.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I still wonder if there are any independently owned small-market TV stations around?

The advent of 24-hour broadcasting and SJWs is killing the traditional playing of the National Anthem.
There are a few, but they're increasingly rare.